Why won't my sub work

OK, this is the story. My Yamaha RV 2087 7 channel AV receiver has been installed in the man cave for 2 channel music listening, running a Dennon cd player and a Yamaha DAB tuner in to a pair of JBL  bookshelf speakers, all this works fine. So I decided to hook up and old 12" sub to the system for obvious reasons. Anyhow no luck despite swapping cables, sub output connections on the back of the amp, even dragged out my new SVS unit but to no avail. Hooked up a TV to it and went through the procedure of designating the front speakers and the sub, no other speakers hooked up, tried various adjustments,  failed again, was wondering if the sub only kicks in if using multi channel media. What have I done wrong, the receiver worked ok before it was replaced buy a new Yamaha 9 channel amp earlier this year. Thanks

It may help to identify the brand of  subwoofer and even  the plate amplifier that it uses.  There are age related problems with many plate amps and often replacement is cheaper than a repair.

If the plate amplifier has  speaker line inputs use these hooked up to the left and right speaker terminals of the amplifier. It may just be a case of needing  more signal with LF content to drive the sub.

If you set the output to 2 channel on some Yamaha amps (and some Denon too) it doesn't use the sub regardless of whether it's turned on.  It's meant as a "purist two channel" approach to listening to music but really it's just confusing as all getout.  Have a look through the DSP menu and see if there is an option for making sure the sub is engaged in two channel mode.

If you select multi stereo on the Denon in my lounge it fires up the sub but doesn't use the centre channel.  It's about as close as I can get it to unprocessed stereo.

• Like 1

Yes,  I think that could be the issue, [ no sub activation for 2 channel stereo] also the plate amp only has input speaker terminals so I can't feed the speaker wires through it from the receiver and on to the speakers them selves, also  set the speakers to small but no difference

Connecting your sub via speaker terminals is done in parallel,  I.e. two leads emerging from each binding post at the amp - one pair to speakers, one pair to the sub. If your sub has not died that will work.

Update !, looks like I had a win,  changed the output from the receiver from sub, to no1 sub and to the left input on the plate amp, toggled between straight and stereo and presto, it effi'n works! then I went back into the menu and reset the setting from small to large and it's still good, just then I noticed the Dennon was skipping tracks, changed the cd and it started to play up also .

.F......K! Time for a beer,  Ps thanks to everyone's input 

• Like 2