Power Amplifier and Speaker Signal Chain

Hi there,

My apologies if this has been covered before. 

I have a Yamaha PX5 Power Amplifier and a pair of Bowers & Wilkins, Nautilus 802 Floor Standing Speakers.

Audio is sent out of an Allen and Heath Xone 23 mixer into the power amplifier.

Is there any additional equipment for speaker preservation and safety that needs to be implemented in this signal chain?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Cadence said:

Hi there,

My apologies if this has been covered before. 

I have a Yamaha PX5 Power Amplifier and a pair of Bowers & Wilkins, Nautilus 802 Floor Standing Speakers.

Audio is sent out of an Allen and Heath Xone 23 mixer into the power amplifier.

Is there any additional equipment for speaker preservation and safety that needs to be implemented in this signal chain?

Thanks.

Which 802's?

But I don't think there need be any issue. Unless you plan on playing them at full volume for extended periods (which means you would no longer have your hearing) then I cannot see any issue. And if there is, B&W recommend 50-500W to drive them, so they would probably be amenable if there was any problem.

What's your noise floor like? With professional gear, I've found it to be quite noticeable, especially when you are running the amps on full (which I'd always recommend).

Hey Jonty,

Thank you for your thoughts here.

N802 are the speakers i have. Circa 2000.

I don't play the system that loud really, just enough to feel some bass frequencies.

I to normally have the amplifier gain at full and use the mixer to adjust the volume.

That being said I can definitely hear the noise floor quite audibly, when there is no signal incoming. However the mixer has quite a noticeable noise presence, maybe because it belonged to a record shop so it has seen some use.

Appreciate the feedback :) 

N802 InfoSheet.pdf