Tube rolling for a Schiit Audio Freya +

U_J

Hi All

I am looking to the experts here for some advice.

So I have taken the plunge and ordered a Schiit Freya + ( when it arrives is anybodies guess since supply is limited ), there are a few Youtube videos that deal with tube rolling for the Schiit but most of them involve you listening through whatever means you have to the video as it switches between valves.  I personally have found it hard to tell the differences and I note in the comments this is a common theme.

The Schiit use 4  x 6SN7's  two for input and two for output and it comes standard with Tungsols' which don't get a good wrap in the tube world.  I intend to change the input tubes which give the biggest difference.

What I am after is just a little bit of midrange bloom and magic and some mid bass fullness, I do not really want to sacrifice bass and detail so this probably will limit the choice of valves .

I currently run some highly modified 845 SET amps which are more about the lack of grit and less about the traditional lush sound of a SET, they are extended at both ends , they measure incredibly flat past 50Khz  ( thanks to the great hand wound transformers that can't be bought anymore it would seem  ) they  really sound more solid state than SET .

As you know it is all about system synergy and my Wilson speakers contribute to the somewhat clinical sound that I currently have so I am hoping that a small injection of magic at the pre end will provide a satisfying sound.

I don't would prefer to not go down the path of buying NOS tubes as they can be very hit and miss , so I would prefer to buy a current production valve,  however I am open to suggestions if you think there are NOS tubes readily available that might fit the bill.

Your suggestions would be very welcome thanks

John  

1 minute ago, U_J said:

I don't would prefer to not go down the path of buying NOS tubes as they can be very hit and miss , so I would prefer to buy a current production valve,  however I am open to suggestions if you think there are NOS tubes readily available that might fit the bill.

I haven't bought any new production, so I will watch the responses here with interest.

In case it helps otherwise, my choice from heaps of used 6SN7s I had on hand, is Sylvania Chrome Domes.    I use these as the gain stages in my 6B4G/2A3 SET amp.

1 minute ago, U_J said:

Hi Aussievintage

How would you characterise the sound of the Sylvania's ?

I hesitate, because, as I found out in a recent thread where I asked what people thought "warmth" was - everyone had different, even opposite definitions in their heads.

The words I would use are detailed, with some air.     A quick search will find all sorts of descriptions but nothing beats trying them yourself of course.

e.g.

Good high end extension, a warm and full mid range and very good bass extension. Imaging is precise and the perceived staging is wide.

• Like 1

Hi John - thanks for your post.

I'm biased towards old stock and would say in this specific case of removing that clinical sound and balancing it up look no further than the Tung-Sol 1940's or 1950's black coated glass, black micanol base round plate 6SN7GT. For the 6SL7 position, my recommendation would be a Tung-Sol 1940's or 1950's black coated glass, brown micanol base 6SU7GTY.

What @aussievintage shared in the descriptor for tonal character of 'warmth' will be met by both these tubes. ?

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

I'm biased towards old stock and would say in this specific case of removing that clinical sound and balancing it up look no further than the Tung-Sol 1940's or 1950's black coated glass, black micanol base round plate 6SN7GT. For the 6SL7 position, my recommendation would be a Tung-Sol 1940's or 1950's black coated glass, brown micanol base 6SU7GTY.

What @aussievintage shared in the descriptor for tonal character of 'warmth' will be met by both these tubes. ?

Gr8r specific NOS knowledge hath no SNA Forum membr

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

Hi Kirk

Thanks for the info

Wow, I presume if you are recommending these tubes that they can be bought somewhere ?  No doubt you have been asked this before, but a valve of that vintage surely would be near the end of its life ?  Sorry I am still a relative newbie when it comes to tubes , which specific parameters would I be looking for  ? (presuming of course the valve has been tested and there is quoted tested values from the seller)

Hey John. They can be bought somewhere but patience is a big virtue in this hobby. Singles can make pairs and so forth at reasonable cost. I will share some reference photos tonight.

Apologies @U_J. I just realised you were referring to 6SN7 tubes only. Please disregard the 6SL7 recommendation. ?

Edited by xlr8or

Reference photos of the Tung-Sol black coated glass, black micanol base and black round anode plate 6SN7GT from the 1950's attached.

Screenshot_20201203-185256_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201203-185338_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201203-185403_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201203-185449_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201203-185527_eBay.jpg

Edited by xlr8or
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/3/2020 at 6:59 PM, xlr8or said:

Reference photos of the Tung-Sol black coated glass, black micanol base and black round anode plate 6SN7GT from the 1950's attached.

Screenshot_20201203-185256_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201203-185338_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201203-185403_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201203-185449_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201203-185527_eBay.jpg

..Often referred to as "The Holy Grail"....

• Haha 1