Should a dedicated oil to turntables to be used for bearing or a motor oil is more than enough?

20 hours ago, aussievintage said:

:)  after all that it's a grease bearing

well done for finding out... ?

What do you mean by grease bearing? Is it a type of bearings? 

The concept of the bearing that my turntable has is very similar to the one that used to have on my Kuzma STabi S model. The only thing is I do not know what the bearing's clearance is. It looks like a very close tolerance bearing, so I am a bit confused whether it is compulsory to apply grease or I can go with oil that what I am personally keen of.

2 hours ago, ArtCor said:

What do you mean by grease bearing? Is it a type of bearings? 

The concept of the bearing that my turntable has is very similar to the one that used to have on my Kuzma STabi S model. The only thing is I do not know what the bearing's clearance is. It looks like a very close tolerance bearing, so I am a bit confused whether it is compulsory to apply grease or I can go with oil that what I am personally keen of.

I guess it's a term I first came across with the old Garrard 301s.   I think their first tables were the grease bearing type.  Or rather, bearings that were designed to use thick grease rather than oil.  They had a cap on the side of the bearing that you could use to inject grease.

I imagine the difference between a bearing designed for grease, and one designed for oil, is clearance, and the way they provide a reservoir for the lubrication so you don't have to lubricate them as often.  My Rek-o-kut has that spiral groove to distribute the oil, and a well under the shaft to contain the oil.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/12/2020 at 10:20 AM, aussievintage said:

A search on the internet should find lots of info.     The type of oil can be specific to a turntable design, but in general, motor oil is not a good choice.  

Motor oil is usually multigrade and contains all sorts of additives.  This bad.   Light multi=purpose or sewing machine oil is a bit to thin.   I use a monograde oil sold for air compressors at about SAE 20 or 30.  Quite cheap.    Synthetic is better than mineral oil if you can find some.  I am just using mineral oil as sold at Tradetools for about $10 a litre bottle.

How about this stuff from Bunnings, av (as Trade Tools doesn't seem to exist in Melbourne)?

269590133_CompressorOil.JPG.7df7a37a3d51edce9d99900567ba70fe.JPG

Andy

46 minutes ago, andyr said:

How about this stuff from Bunnings, av (as Trade Tools doesn't seem to exist in Melbourne)?

It's probably not synthetic.  The stuff I am using isn't either.  Chris says synthetic is better, and won't form any varnish on the bearing like mineral oil can - but I haven't had any problems with normal mineral oil, and the Garrard and Peak/CEC bearings I am using it on are over 50 years old, and clean as a whistle when I take them out.  I'll bet they have only ever had mineral oil on them, as that's all they had back then.

1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

It's probably not synthetic.  The stuff I am using isn't either.  Chris says synthetic is better, and won't form any varnish on the bearing like mineral oil can - but I haven't had any problems with normal mineral oil, and the Garrard and Peak/CEC bearings I am using it on are over 50 years old, and clean as a whistle when I take them out.  I'll bet they have only ever had mineral oil on them, as that's all they had back then.

Thanks, av.  I'll give them a call, as soon as I can.  :)  (And post their answers, for others' info.)

Andy

Check out places like Autobarn, Supercheap Auto, Totaltools, Repco etc

https://www.autobarn.com.au/gulf-western-oil-compressor-oil-1l-30175

30175.jpg

Product Details

Mineral Compressor is a premium quality mineral, multi purpose range of compressor oils. Formulated for use in rotary vane, reciprocating, axial and screw air compressors
Note: Not suitable for use in compressors producing air for breathing. It is available in ISO Viscosity Grades 32, 46, 68 and 100

Mineral is fine but needs cleaning out and changing from time to time, synthetic does not have this problem, but both are fine for a turntable bearing just keep maintenance more with mineral. With a litre that should not be a problem :) I will post a pic of what I use

Chris