Upgrading from DT 990 Pro - what to get?

Four months ago I purchased a DT 990 Pro (250 Ohm) as my first high-end headphone.

I really liked the detail, instrument separation and comfort of the DT 990 Pro, and I'd love to get something that's even better at these.

I've tried out the DT 1990 Pro, Amiron, Sundara, HD660S and HD560S in stores. I didn't get to spend much time with them but I thought the DT 1990 brought out finer details in the treble.

I also own a pair of HD599's, but I don't use them much as I prefer the sound, comfort and build quality of the DT 990. 

I'm not looking to spend much more than $800, and if I do upgrade I'd like something that's significantly better (if that's possible).

A DT 1990 Pro at ~$600 looks pretty tempting, but I want to see if there are any other hidden gems out there. 

Also, I'm wondering if Beyerdynamic might replace the DT 1990 soon, since they've brought in the T1 Gen 3 recently. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Edited by PKBeam

If you like the Beyer house sound, the T1 is the next upgrade to the DT series. You might be able to get a used Gen1 or 2 within your budget. I heard the T1 Gen2 vs a couple of the DT series and found the T1 much better overall. This was more than a year ago, and only a short comparison.

If you are in Sydney (your location only shows NSW), a couple of good places to hear headphone options are 'minidisc' in chatswood and 'addicted to audio' in Newtown

11 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

If you like the Beyer house sound, the T1 is the next upgrade to the DT series. You might be able to get a used Gen1 or 2 within your budget. I heard the T1 Gen2 vs a couple of the DT series and found the T1 much better overall. This was more than a year ago, and only a short comparison.

If you are in Sydney (your location only shows NSW), a couple of good places to hear headphone options are 'minidisc' in chatswood and 'addicted to audio' in Newtown

I've found a used pair of T1 Gen 1's going for $500, but I don't know if my amp will do a good job of driving them (FX Audio DAC X6 MKII).

Looking online, the DT 1990 appears to have better bass and a few people seem to prefer them over the T1's.

I'm not sure if I should just spend the extra $100 and get a brand new pair of 1990s but I guess I'll actually have to compare them for myself at some point.

I've been to Minidisc the other day, but does A2A actually stock Beyer headphones? They don't have any trace of them on their website.

15 hours ago, PKBeam said:

I've found a used pair of T1 Gen 1's going for $500, but I don't know if my amp will do a good job of driving them (FX Audio DAC X6 MKII).

Looking online, the DT 1990 appears to have better bass and a few people seem to prefer them over the T1's.

I'm not sure if I should just spend the extra $100 and get a brand new pair of 1990s but I guess I'll actually have to compare them for myself at some point.

I've been to Minidisc the other day, but does A2A actually stock Beyer headphones? They don't have any trace of them on their website.

Headphone preferences are very personal - what float's ones boat may not for another - all the more reason to hear these out before you take the plunge. I haven't been to A2A for a while - best to call up and ask if they stock Beyers.

Yes, the T1s do need a bit of juice to drive them. 

Good luck with the search. While you are at it, you may also want to check out some other options such as Focal, Aeon, Audeze etc. Many of these come up for sale in the classifieds section at good prices

33 minutes ago, John8819 said:

What about Hifiman Ananda?

Interesting, I'll put that on the list of things to try out. Thanks.

Though I am somewhat worried about the Hifiman build quality, and a new pair of DT 1990s would be significantly cheaper.

On 03/12/2020 at 5:11 PM, anandpkumar said:

The T1 mk1 or 2 really love OTLs. T1 mk2 kinda sounded meh on solid state (Schitt MB Jotenheim, RME adi-2 + THX 789), but on OTLs they're a different beast.