Hi all,

Need some help here as I'm really new to this and I want to know whether I need an amp for my entertainment. 

Currently I have 

Onkyo tx sr444 (receiver) 

Klipsh quintet 5.1 speakers - specs below 

https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5cbfef16739445bc76457060528.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/Quintet_(V)_-_Spec_Sheet_635114001071340000.pdf

Klipsch sub R-10sw 10" 

KEF q350 bookshelf speakers. 

I want to plug everything into my TV, Apple TV box, ps4 and etc. I also want to stream music and use my speakers to its full potential. 

If I do need an amp which ones should I consider? 

Many thanks in advance for your help. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

There's levels and there's levels. "Full potential" can be read a number of ways...

OK, everything plugged into your receiver will give you an OK sound. Two things are stopping the next level up:

1. With all 7 speakers driven, the KEFs will not be getting enough to make them sing, as there's only so much power to go around.

2. The centre speaker is VERY different to your two main speakers (and I'm making the assumption that you are using the KEFs as your left/right front speakers) and so anything with a centre channel will not sound as good as it could.

BUT, your receiver has no line level outputs (except for the subwoofer output and the HDMI out for the TV). Which means there is no way to connect another amplifier to it, even if you wanted to.

So, with your current equipment, there's no real way to incrementally upgrade your sound. Hey, I haven't heard it - it might be great!

So, if you want a better surround experience, I'd be looking for a KEF Q centre speaker and to dump the Klipsh one (or simply an extra KEF Q speaker - but the centre ones are designed to be front ported). Doesn't have to be the same model line as the Q350s, as the signature sound is fairly similar. Again (point 1. above) the amp might struggle?

The next line up might need some extra money to get a receiver that has line level outs, as well as a 7 channel amp. Then it might be worth getting a two-channel amp dedicated to the KEF 350s. I run my 4 surrounds from my receiver and my mains and centre from separate amps (via line level outputs from the receiver).

Not much help, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

:welcome:to the forum...

What is your budget?  If you can afford it and have the space, a preprocessor plus multi channel amps will improve things.  

With less funds, you should get an AVR with room correction software like Dirac Live or Anthem Room Correction.  The NAD T758V3 may meet your requirements.  And if you do not need the latest formats, used AVRs, prepros from the Classifieds are good value.  You will get access to the Classifieds once you have made a few more posts.

5 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

Hi Andrew,

There's levels and there's levels. "Full potential" can be read a number of ways...

OK, everything plugged into your receiver will give you an OK sound. Two things are stopping the next level up:

1. With all 7 speakers driven, the KEFs will not be getting enough to make them sing, as there's only so much power to go around.

2. The centre speaker is VERY different to your two main speakers (and I'm making the assumption that you are using the KEFs as your left/right front speakers) and so anything with a centre channel will not sound as good as it could.

BUT, your receiver has no line level outputs (except for the subwoofer output and the HDMI out for the TV). Which means there is no way to connect another amplifier to it, even if you wanted to.

So, with your current equipment, there's no real way to incrementally upgrade your sound. Hey, I haven't heard it - it might be great!

So, if you want a better surround experience, I'd be looking for a KEF Q centre speaker and to dump the Klipsh one (or simply an extra KEF Q speaker - but the centre ones are designed to be front ported). Doesn't have to be the same model line as the Q350s, as the signature sound is fairly similar. Again (point 1. above) the amp might struggle?

The next line up might need some extra money to get a receiver that has line level outs, as well as a 7 channel amp. Then it might be worth getting a two-channel amp dedicated to the KEF 350s. I run my 4 surrounds from my receiver and my mains and centre from separate amps (via line level outputs from the receiver).

Not much help, I'm afraid.

Thank you vmuch for the response. 

Rather using all the speakers I could drop the front left and right and simply replace using the KEF so maybe that will lighten the load (ie. 5.1)? And i presume the watt only matters if I really crank up the sound? 

Given the kef are better front speakers is it possible to switch to only those two speakers when I play music? ( or does it make more sense to have all the surround sound turned on including the sub?) 

I may explore getting a centre later down the track.

I got no clue about this line level out but assuming if I just go for 5.1 and if I get a centre later, I could potentially just buy a more powerful receiver? Or do I still need a receiver with line level out plus an amp? 

I want to get my head around this so I know what to aim for in the future and future proof for any upgrades. 

Many thanks in advance, 

Andrew

50 minutes ago, Pugthepug said:

Thank you vmuch for the response. 

Rather using all the speakers I could drop the front left and right and simply replace using the KEF so maybe that will lighten the load (ie. 5.1)? And i presume the watt only matters if I really crank up the sound?

I don't really understand your question - what do you mean by "I could drop the front left and right and simply replace using the KEF"? I was assuming you would have the KEFs in Front left and right, with the Klipsch in rear l/r, surround l/r and centre - as your receiver has outputs for 7 speakers. It's not so much loudness as the ability of the amplifier to put the right amount of power where it needs to go. And, I'm guessing that the KEFs might need a little more to get the best out of them compared to the Klipsch. But only you would be able to confirm that. Simplest way to test - change your setting to only run front left and right, at full-range and see if they sound better than when you have all the speakers running.

Given the kef are better front speakers is it possible to switch to only those two speakers when I play music? ( or does it make more sense to have all the surround sound turned on including the sub?)

See above for simple test. It'll be somewhere in the speaker set-up in your receiver manual.

I may explore getting a centre later down the track.

I got no clue about this line level out but assuming if I just go for 5.1 and if I get a centre later, I could potentially just buy a more powerful receiver? Or do I still need a receiver with line level out plus an amp? 

I want to get my head around this so I know what to aim for in the future and future proof for any upgrades. 

Many thanks in advance, 

Andrew

OK, a line level out (or in) are all those wires you've got connected between your TV, Apple TV box, ps4 and wherever you get your music from (disc player?). They run fairly low voltage and pass the signal around. Some of them will be sending digital information (in your set-up, almost all of them) and some will be sending an analog (audio) signal (the wire from your receiver to your sub-woofer is one of these, as would be the twin inputs for the CD player (if you had one).

Basically, you can't run a speaker directly from one of these, the signal has to be boosted (amplified) before this can happen. You'll have two connectors for each amplifier 'channel' (a + and a -). On the back of your receiver, you have amplifier outputs for Back R&L, Surround R&L, Center, Front L&R, plus Zone B Front speakers - either 9 amplifiers, or 7 (if the same amplifiers run Front in Zone A & B).

image.png.1b205ad87181a7af380f6080e52cec45.png

And, you can't (generally) use the output from your amplifiers to feed into another amplifier (unless it's specifically designed for that purpose). Which is why you're kind of stuck for options while you still have this receiver.

So, run the tests (with the rest of the speakers 'off' and 'on') and see if there's a difference for you. If there is little or no difference, then your receiver and KEFs are probably a match. But if it sounds a bit better with just the front two speakers (you can keep the sub-woofer attached and on as it won't affect the receiver) then you might want to look at an upgrade path in future.

If you check out this picture, you'll see the line level outputs just to the left of the speaker binding posts:2_089944c9-0952-4bf6-9eeb-6e27edd38318.j

7 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

I don't really understand your question - what do you mean by "I could drop the front left and right and simply replace using the KEF"? I was assuming you would have the KEFs in Front left and right, with the Klipsch in rear l/r, surround l/r and centre - as your receiver has outputs for 7 speakers. It's not so much loudness as the ability of the amplifier to put the right amount of power where it needs to go. And, I'm guessing that the KEFs might need a little more to get the best out of them compared to the Klipsch. But only you would be able to confirm that. Simplest way to test - change your setting to only run front left and right, at full-range and see if they sound better than when you have all the speakers running.

See above for simple test. It'll be somewhere in the speaker set-up in your receiver manual.

OK, a line level out (or in) are all those wires you've got connected between your TV, Apple TV box, ps4 and wherever you get your music from (disc player?). They run fairly low voltage and pass the signal around. Some of them will be sending digital information (in your set-up, almost all of them) and some will be sending an analog (audio) signal (the wire from your receiver to your sub-woofer is one of these, as would be the twin inputs for the CD player (if you had one).

Basically, you can't run a speaker directly from one of these, the signal has to be boosted (amplified) before this can happen. You'll have two connectors for each amplifier 'channel' (a + and a -). On the back of your receiver, you have amplifier outputs for Back R&L, Surround R&L, Center, Front L&R, plus Zone B Front speakers - either 9 amplifiers, or 7 (if the same amplifiers run Front in Zone A & B).

image.png.1b205ad87181a7af380f6080e52cec45.png

And, you can't (generally) use the output from your amplifiers to feed into another amplifier (unless it's specifically designed for that purpose). Which is why you're kind of stuck for options while you still have this receiver.

So, run the tests (with the rest of the speakers 'off' and 'on') and see if there's a difference for you. If there is little or no difference, then your receiver and KEFs are probably a match. But if it sounds a bit better with just the front two speakers (you can keep the sub-woofer attached and on as it won't affect the receiver) then you might want to look at an upgrade path in future.

If you check out this picture, you'll see the line level outputs just to the left of the speaker binding posts:2_089944c9-0952-4bf6-9eeb-6e27edd38318.j

Thank you again so much for the lengthy response. I will try to digest this and do some testing on the weekend. 

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pugthepug said:

Thank you again so much for the lengthy response. I will try to digest this and do some testing on the weekend. 

Cheers,

Andrew

I forgot to mention the music will be streamed from my Spotify on my mobile via Bluetooth to the receiver. Not sure if that impacts quality and if so I dont know how else I would overcome that. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Pugthepug said:

Cheers,

Andrew

No problemo!