Tidal recommendations or finding new music

gwurb

As an experiment I went through setting up a new tidal account and I chose the artists that I like, etc. I have played the tracks that I enjoy. Watching what Tidal recommends for me I am disappointed. There is almost nothing in the recommendations that I have enjoyed. 

The reason I setup a new account to test this out is that I was thinking that maybe on my old account I had listened to enough of something that that wasn't my cup of tea and thus I was getting recommendations that weren't all that great. 

I want to find new music and I was hoping that Tidal algorithms would be helpful. They are not for me, not  yet.

How have you found Tidal recommendations? How do you go about finding new music on Tidal? Any tips and tricks?

Edited by gwurb

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/12/2020 at 3:14 PM, gwurb said:

Lol. I am currently doing that.

In my experience (and some millions of other users possibly) nothing comes close to how good Spotify's recommendations algorithms are. Scary good and I haven't found any other service that's come close. I use Tidal (with and without Roon), Apple Music and Spotify.

I keep Apple Music expecting it one day to match and then pass Spotify to features. Still hasn't happened yet for me.

I keep Tidal for better sound quality.

I'm a Roon lifetime member, mainly for the nicest way to browse my FLAC collection if I can't find it on the streaming services. But most of my listening is music streaming these days.

• Like 1

Interesting that some don’t like Roon... I will say that there are several different ways to get new music on Roon.  “Roon Radio” is the similar music Roon tees up automatically after an album finishes and is brilliant.  Roon recommended music is not as good.

Edit: the Roon Radio algorithm is also user programmable.  If it tees up something you don’t like, and you skip the song, it asks you why you skipped and uses this to improve the music it finds for you.

Edited by Stereophilus
  • Like 1

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, Stereophilus said:

Edit: the Roon Radio algorithm is also user programmable.  If it tees up something you don’t like, and you skip the song, it asks you why you skipped and uses this to improve the music it finds for you.

One of the reasons I dislike Roon Radio is that no matter how many times I skip Bruce Springsteen, he appears over and over again in every single Roon Radio, no matter what the album was that just finished. Drives me nuts ?

7 hours ago, rand129678 said:

In my experience (and some millions of other users possibly) nothing comes close to how good Spotify's recommendations algorithms are. Scary good and I haven't found any other service that's come close. I use Tidal (with and without Roon), Apple Music and Spotify.

I keep Tidal for better sound quality.

+1 

3 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

One of the reasons I dislike Roon Radio is that no matter how many times I skip Bruce Springsteen, he appears over and over again in every single Roon Radio, no matter what the album was that just finished. Drives me nuts ?

Fair enough.  I have never experienced that issue.  Did u try blocking the artist?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I didn't know you could block an artist - how do you do that?

All I do is thumbs down every time

Search the artist you want to block.  On the top of artist page is a "hollow" heart icon.  Click it once and it fills in (this "likes" that artist). Click a second time and the icon turns into a "block" icon.  Leave it on that and it should block your Bruce issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

For personal listening on Tidal hifi I only listen to albums. If i dont like the album after a track or 2 I skip to another album but if Im enjoying it Ill play the full album, sometimes over a couple of days. 

I get my album recommendations from allmusic.com. ive found loads of awesome artists & albums that way. 

I have a retail shop where i play Tidal hifi and we make up playlists or use artist radio. Works quite well but we often complain about repeated 'best of' songs so we switch to another playlist or artist or artist radio. 

I tried spotify but the sound was shockingly dreadful. But yes spotify has waaaaay better algorithms & playlists than tidal. 

• 4 months later...

Funny, I have never noticed that Spotify was recommending music that I liked.  Though, this may be because other family members have my password and use my account also.

To Spotify's credit, it does seem to stratify artists by the actual device being used to browse music.  But, still, Robbie Williams does seem to leak over into my stream.  Or, perhaps, I'm just a closet fan and don't know it yet?