New TV (Finally bit the bullet!)

Been wanting a new TV for a while. The last one is still pretty good (a 2014 55" Samsung UHD), but we were thinking 'bigger'. Now, I was thinking OLED and 65", but my wife was thinking 75" or bigger (and no specific type). By getting her to compare the same sized LG Nano and LG OLED TV's, in the same store, using the same demo stuff (JB HiFi, IIRC), she decided that OLED was just better. Even at the full brightness that they use for these display TVs.

So, we were out to the Good Guys on Saturday and decided to get a 77" LG CX OLED - the GX was also an option - but as we don't want a flat wall-mount, it was an extra expense that wasn't required.

It's not here yet, but I figure it'll be worth the wait and we needed a new unit to hold all the gear anyway (and that's a couple of weeks away also). I'll have mirror image everything in the new equipment rack, as the inputs on the LG are on the left now (when facing the screen) while the Samsung were all on the right. And, as we're going inwall for the HDMI cables and the digital output from the TV - I might need to get longer versions.

And damn! I guess I'll have to watch all my movies again! Goodie!!!

• Like 1

@Cloth Ears

Very nice TV! Sure would be an upgrade from the 2014 55". Hope it will give you many years of enjoyment!

I did the same thing and took advantage of the generous sales on ATM. Just replaced 60" sharp with 75" Hisense Q8 ULED. 

Mounted it up yesterday. Obviously not in the same league as your LG 77" model, but still a good upgrade none the less.

Edited by Mushroom01
stupid predictive text.
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Mushroom01 said:

@Cloth Ears

Very nice TV! Shore would be an upgrade from the 2014 55". Hope it will give you many years of enjoyment!

I did the same thing and took advantage of the generous sales on ATM. Just replaced 60" sharp with 75" Hisense Q8 ULED. 

Mounted it up yesterday. Obviously not in the same league as your LG 77" model, but still a good upgrade none the less.

One of the things I've been looking at is the up-scaling (as well as the picture quality). The early 'interview' scene in Blade Runner is great for this. Brion James' sweaty face seems to 'float around' in the up-scaling from Blu-ray to 4K, especially when the camera moves closer. Much better in the 4K version, although I think the LG player and the Samsung TV are still not quite simpatico - you can see a couple of single pixel shifts in the same scene in the same places in the movie (just not quite so off-putting).

There's a couple of other movies where similar things seem to happen, but not nearly so obviously.

And, going through the menu on this old TV, I just found a section where it can apparently 'create' a 3D version of the input you're watching!!! 6 years and I never found that. I'm not sure if I have the glasses to use it and there's three different ways it can do it! I guess the next owner can try it on for size!

Edited by Cloth Ears
  • 2 months later...

Yay! Got a call from GG that my TV was in the warehouse (5 were there) on Monday and to get down to pay off the rest of it as soon as possible. 20 minutes later I got a call from the guy who I bought it from, who said there were only 4 left now, so he was organising delivery to stop it leaving! Arrived there 30 minutes later to pay for it and there were two left unspoken for! Delivered on Wednesday, installed on the wall yesterday.

It's a beaut. I've got an article by Nicholas Di Giovanni on CX Calibration. So I'll be trying that on the weekend (Mrs CE is baulking at the cost of someone else calibrating it at the moment).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...