Destroyed my Usher Mini Dancer 2's - HELP

Ok maybe not destroyed but due to an errant level setting issue between my phone, amp and Google Play. Hitting play on INXS's "Need You Tonight" at the max volume my Emotiva mono's could muster, had my Ushers Mini Dancer 2 in a clipping frenzy and by the time I leapt to my amp master volume the damage had been done. Result is one of the mid woofers has **** itself (assume the voice coil was toast). 

Now the problem with an 8 year old speaker that had little traction in Aussie and I think managed to go offline for a period but are back online now so I have some hope because they still advertise the speakers.

It's a https://www.usheraudio.com.tw/portfolio-item/8948a/ and Parts Express used to sell them but no longer. https://www.parts-express.com/usher-8948a-7-carbon-fiber-paper-woofer--296-603

I reached out to the retailer 'Audio Tailor' and they're being great and asking the distributor 'Westan' if they have any news on spares. I've also emailed and FB messaged Usher but no response yet.  I think I have a few options.

1. parts are available from Westan or Usher. YAY if that happens

2. find someone selling a 2nd hand 7inch Usher driver - unlikely

3. buy an Usher Centre speaker 2nd hand and pull the drivers out of it (the same driver is used in a lot of speakers)

4. get it repaired

5. replace it with an alternative (would likely replace both speakers for this option) and I've been looking at the Scan-speak Classic range https://www.wagneronline.com.au/scan-speak-7-mid-woofer-classic/speaker-drivers/audio-speakers-pa/18w-8545k00-36782/976506/pd/ they at least have the 177mm mounting width for the flush mounted cabinets. They look like a good replacement but I'm wary of the 3.5mm mounting holes. Ushers have bespoke mounting screws with push ends that the speaker grill fits on to, so need to keep those. Has anyone tried drilling out 3.0 - 3.5mm speaking mount holes on the speaker chassis to accommodate 4mm screws?

Thanks in advance for any advice or even remarks of how stupid i was.

Edited by relliksalta

Best option is for a local repairer to fix the likely burnt voice coil by rewinding it or soldering where it has broken.

Replacing with new but different drivers means redesigning the speaker crossover circuit, which require skills and cost.

You could ask around here if anyone has spare driver by posting pictures of it out of the cabinet with label showing.

Thanks for the reply. Yep the speaker makes a nice crunchy/scratchy sound when I press the cone so assuming it's the voice coil. I did reach out to a speaker repairer and he sounded great. It's $130 to diagnose and that comes off the repair price if it's even possible to repair it. 

I can get a Scan-speak equivalent to the above for the same money brand new and was thinking it was worth it even for a temp solution until I can source a replacement driver. The only problem I have with the SS speaker is they only use a small ~3.5mm speaker mount hole on the chassis. Any likely issues with placing the speaker on it's face taping it all up so no debris gets into the driver and drilling the mounting holes out to 4mm so I can use the factory Usher bolts?

And the speaker is the same as the parts express link above.. no labels on the driver at all. Looks very similat to the Scan-speak driver though. (i think Usher previously got in trouble for copying the SS drivers?). Carbon paper cone etc.

Edited by relliksalta

Tell me about it Telecine. The combination of amp volume, Google volume and my phone setting... nasty (and stupid stuff). That will teach me for turning everything on from another room via wireless to save me getting away from my desk :(

Appreciate the feedback and yep I might look at getting the driver repaired but if it reaches silly money... not sure what to do. As I mentioned it may be better to buy the SS drop in and keep an eye out for a replacement driver? Usher seems to be back online and these speakers/drivers are still listed on their website but doesnt look like they have an Aussie distributor anymore so would have to get something sent direct from Usher although lack of activity on their website might mean they 're not 'really' back?

Any comments on the drilling of the mounting holes on the speaker chassis. So long as I'm slow and careful, not much can go wrong right? :) if it was new holes, I'd be nervous but this is enlarging them by 0.5mm

I wouldn't drill any holes or use a Scanspeak driver myself. 

I think that your current reasonable options are:

1. Hopefully obtain a replacement part from Usher/Westan or

2. Have it repaired or

3. Buy another speaker like the Centre channel speaker that uses the same driver and raid it for a donor.

Westan have no spare parts but Usher direct have responded asking me for a delivery address so that they can send me a price which is looking positive assuming it's not crazy expensive. Repair place mentioned unlikely to have parts so could be difficult. 

Down to picking up 2nd hand vs new from Usher vs Scan-speak. Hopefully I can get a brand new one sent over to QLD.

• Like 1

Supposedly Usher are looking at new distribution in Australia. At least that's what they told me last week. However, they've been saying that for months now despite some distributors putting their hand up and offering a carrot to represent the brand. Dragging their heels isnt a good look. My advice, take it to a reputable service agent if they (Usher) mess you around.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Frank. Did you guys used to carry Usher? I was hoping that there may have been a store with something kicking around in the back of the store room. Westan werent aware of it. Looking at the Usher website, they have distributors in a number of countries. Hoping that the price they come back with isn't off the charts but good to see they're back in operations. 

5 hours ago, relliksalta said:

Thanks for the info Frank. Did you guys used to carry Usher? I was hoping that there may have been a store with something kicking around in the back of the store room. Westan werent aware of it. Looking at the Usher website, they have distributors in a number of countries. Hoping that the price they come back with isn't off the charts but good to see they're back in operations. 

Ive dabbled in the brand at one point (me, not the store!).
It was never really represented well - Westan do IT well but not anything in the realms of hifi so it was probably always doomed to fail in their hands. Unfortunately some distributors make claim for international brands, but the brands don't seem to do their due diligence and ensure that their "brand" is in the right hands, getting carried away with the excitement of representation or a large first opening order!

Lets hope whoever they claim to be talking to, is a good one and happens soon - allegedly this comment about "about to land a distributor" has been said to me by Usher since the beginning of the year!

• Like 2

I'm just super excited that they're still a going concern and have essentially the same product line up with the same drivers etc. gives me hope that I can replace my busted driver. Any bet's what they'll charge for a 7 inch midrange shipped from Taiwan to Brisbane?

Also I understand that China made look a like Usher drivers are not the same as Scanspeak so another reason not to replace with Scan driver and instead repair as the specs could be way off.

Seems they're not in a hurry to provide responses. I know I'm impatient because I want to get my speakers sorted and put my stupidity behind me but I haven't had a response to emails or FB messages since mid last week when they said they would check delivery costs.  :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thundernuts (cool tag), yes that is exactly what I'm looking for. I did by a Scan-Speak driver as a temp solution that seems to be working well but I'd definitely prefer genuine Usher drivers. 

Edited by relliksalta