DAC does it improve sound?

Hi All

Currently running a Cyrus One, with Rega RP1, with project stream box ds2, and project cd box.

For whatever reason I'm still not impressed with the sound...I use Spotify and tidal through my tablet and sometime through the streamer which is better than the tablet. This is after using the equalizer settings in Spotify.

I was thinking of buying a DAC...something inexpensive... was thinking of three options 1. Schitt Modo 3 2. Topping DX3 or 3. Project DAC box Se (Last option and would be pushing my spend)

What's everyone's thoughts on DACs does it really improve the sound when it comes to digital files? Is it noticeable? And of the above 3 what's everyone's recommendations? Is there a better alternative?

Thanks in Advance

Eshan

Dacs can make an enormous difference in sound quality.  In saying that, you don’t have to spend a fortune on a dac to get great improvement in sound.  They’re are some great dacs out there at very good prices   If you keep an eye out in the classified’s you may pick up one of Clay Gieseler’s bargain giant killing dacs.  Even new Clays are amazing value 

I’ve owned many many dacs.  And every one sounds different. 

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, EshDes said:

Thanks Bill - Havent heard of Clay Giesler before - so will keep an eye out.

Clay makes amazing quality electronic components on the Gold Coast. He is a commercial member here.   You can read all about his amazing products in his forum in the commercial sponsors forum 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBurns84 said:

SPot on!  And here lies the conundrum. 

@EshDes Throw the topping E30 into the mix.  Its a very capable dac for not much.

Some saying E30 is better than D50. More expensive doesn't always mean better.

10 hours ago, EshDes said:

What's everyone's thoughts on DACs does it really improve the sound when it comes to digital files? Is it noticeable?

It's noticeable, but speakers, room acoustics and amplifiers are more important.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EshDes said:

Thanks - But looking for a fairly compact DAC as most of my hifi equipment is half width. So going for a topping at this stage - will be buying new unless it comes up soon

It is half width (22cm).

In my own personal experience I've found DACs have made a difference to my system. I started out using the internal DAC on a Bluesound Node 2. It was good and I liked the sound but was a bit lacking. Upgraded to an Arcam irDAC to go along with my (then) Arcam amp and it was a definite improvement. Finally finished up on a Gieseler Klein 2 DAC which has really lifted my system and also brought my upgrade charge  to a crashing halt so I can now afford food. So yes, a DAC made a big difference to me and I can thoroughly second Bill's recommendation of Clay Gieseler's DACs. 

• Like 4

Thanks to Everyone for sharing their thoughts - Will take on board - I have decided to try the Topping at this stage - never before have i used anything but RCA cables - but going to enjoy trying to use Coaxial and USB cables for the first time.

When I looked just after I got the notification from you - they had already sold. Safe to say that I am going to just get brand new from Addicted to Audio in Kew - Thanking you! Quick and the dead when it comes to bargains around here!