Hi all, seeking advice, what camera should I buy my son to show him the ropes with photography? Understanding the ISO, shutter speed, aperture, depth of field relationship. I already have 2 Canon L lenses the 24-105 F4 and the 70-200 IS F4, a 10-22 and a F1.4 50mm, so thinking maybe stay with Canon. Though the Fuji mirrorless look tasty. He’s about to turn 19 and studying Architecture at Uni. I have a Canon 7D. He’s keen on street photography too! He wants to go film... better to learn on digital I reckon, rather than waste plenty of film and money - more than likely mine...

Kind regards,

Michael 

@SPR08Y
If he’s into street photography then a small camera with a prime lens would be ideal. Anything else will become a chore and you end up just not taking the picture. I had an EOS1 mk3, 24-70Land 70-200L both F4 and 50mm F1.4. Sold all and got a rangefinder  Fujifilm xpro2 graphite edition(relates to finish of the product)with a 23mm f2.0 lens. Got the grip and a thumb rest as an accessory. Absolutely love it, intuitive versatile always on hand to take a photo. Speaking of photos, fantastic to say the least. Real, 3D, gorgeous color and plenty of advanced options. 
Was looking at Leica Q1 at the time but price was prohibitive, but it’s a full frame Leica with an awesome lens. But one has to be realistic.

Hope that helped 

Neo

Edited by Neo
  • Like 2

You have Canon, stay with canon, the money is in the lenses series you have and with the introduction of the new R range, DSLR's are plentiful on the 2nd hand market.  Suggest join Canon Australia Camera Gear Buy and Sell on Facebook.  Plenty of nice 2nd hand gear being sold ...  look for lower shutter counts, there is a 70D for sale which are a nice powerful beginners camera, well it was for me as I started to really learn on a 40d ... full frame the 6dii (or a low count 6d, I use one as a backup) or if you want to splash a bit of cash there are a couple of  2nd hand 5Diii's  though the 5Diii I suggest he would want to do a course as though it can do auto stuff to get the most out of it an advanced DSLR course is wonderful, well it was for me ... improved my capabilities 20x.  For Street photography (street art) I use a 16-35mm lens.

Edited by Rosco8
  • Like 1

Go Film!

Film is a great way to learn about photography, especially with a all manual camera, theres no forgiving when you make mistakes.

I regularly see young people shooting film, its quite hip at the moment, often they will be in groups. My daughter uses 35mm and her photography ability has improved greatly. She prefers b&w and I process for her.

Im going to build a new improved darkroom next year for myself.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, awty said:

Go Film!

Film is a great way to learn about photography, especially with a all manual camera, theres no forgiving when you make mistakes.

I regularly see young people shooting film, its quite hip at the moment, often they will be in groups. My daughter uses 35mm and her photography ability has improved greatly. She prefers b&w and I process for her.

Im going to build a new improved darkroom next year for myself.

Wow, right back where I was 50 years ago!  :)   

• Like 1

If film was still available, I would have said, get a totally manual camera or something like the Nikon FG or Canon equivalent to let him learn about lighting, focus, and many other techniques.

But these days, I'll say get a basic body, Canon / Nikon, but since you have a Canon setup, sharing lenses is advantageous, so go Canon. Then a simple zoom that covers say 18-200 and he has a one stop lens which allows him to work on composition, and other stuff.

Cheap one that he can wreck or grow out of. Even a Tamron / Sigma..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, petetherock said:

If film was still available, I would have said, get a totally manual camera or something like the Nikon FG or Canon equivalent to let him learn about lighting, focus, and many other techniques.

But these days, I'll say get a basic body, Canon / Nikon, but since you have a Canon setup, sharing lenses is advantageous, so go Canon. Then a simple zoom that covers say 18-200 and he has a one stop lens which allows him to work on composition, and other stuff.

Cheap one that he can wreck or grow out of. Even a Tamron / Sigma..

Films not available!

Nobody told kodak, foma, fuji, ilford or others. You can get everything from 110 film to 20"x24" and bigger.

I use up to 14"x17" .

• Like 1

I have a FM2, and an old Pentax manual camera, cut my teeth on these before I moved onto DSLRs... 

I still keep the FM2, FG, FA, and a FE2... once in a while, I'll just take them out and wind them... haha

• Like 1
On 01/12/2020 at 4:56 PM, Neo said:

@SPR08Y
If he’s into street photography then a small camera with a prime lens would be ideal. Anything else will become a chore and you end up just not taking the picture

Agree with that completely. If your son in mainly into street photography, it's best to have a small, discreet camera paired with a 35 mm or 50mm (full frame equivalent) lens. 

I would suggest against going for a expensive or new camera for a beginner. The cameras from  a few years ago are just as good and you don't need the latest and greatest technology. A used 2-3 year old camera off e-bay or gumtree along with a good 35mm/50mm prime lens will help your son cut his teeth on photography, understanding aperture & shutter control, depth of focus, ISO etc. 

• Like 1
On 07/12/2020 at 10:55 AM, anandpkumar said:

If your son is interested, Nikon is offering a free online photography course covering various styles of photography. 

https://www.nikonevents.com/us/live/nikon-school-online/

Those Nykon ambassadors are torturous, think its best with subtitles and no volume.

Edited by awty
  • Like 1