Tidal Masters > mconnectlite > upnp moOde on rPi 3 > Topping D10 > SET amp > Osborn speakers = happiness

I am exploring Tidal at the moment, using the 4 month trial for the masters level.

I am playing it, as per the title     Tidal Masters > mconnectlite > upnp moOde on rPi 3 > Topping D10 > SET amp > Osborn speakers 

and although it looks a bit hairy, it actually works very nicely and the sound is superb.    mconnectlite happily uses moOde as a upnp renderer, even sending it song titles and artwork.   All controlled from my armchair using mconnectlite on my phone.

• Like 2

I’ve never quite understood the opposition to MQA... It sounds great, and the biggest opposition seems to be derived from the DRM - from the same people (largely) that jump up and down about pirating being a problem...

I have Qobuz ATM (and will switch back and forth).

7 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

I’ve never quite understood the opposition to MQA... It sounds great, and the biggest opposition seems to be derived from the DRM - from the same people (largely) that jump up and down about pirating being a problem...

I have Qobuz ATM (and will switch back and forth).

Well I am not hearing MQA in this setup anyway.   That's the problem with it.  They can make you buy selected hardware just to get it to work.    Luckily it's not necessary.   

21 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Well I am not hearing MQA in this setup anyway.   That's the problem with it.  They can make you buy selected hardware just to get it to work.    Luckily it's not necessary.   

Pretty sure you need selected hardware (that the manufacturers pay royalties for) to play CD (might be old enough not to) and SACD too...

Edited by Billy Shears

8 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

Pretty sure you need selected hardware (that the manufacturers pay royalties for) to play CD (might be old enough not to) and SACD too...

Nah, not true and not the same thing.  I can rip my CDs to a flac file and play them with any hardware I choose.

22 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Nah, not true and not the same thing.  I can rip my CDs to a flac file and play them with any hardware I choose.

The hardware you use to rip certainly does.

I had no problems ripping an MQA CD, it’s just the endpoint  and not the start point (as it’s always been before) that’s different.

Edited by Billy Shears
20 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

The hardware you use to rip certainly does.

Anyway, MQA is a total non-issue for me.  It offers me nothing and is a diversion from the purpose of my posting, which centres around how nice a source built from cheap apps and hardware can sound.   Other Tidal users might find it useful how functional a phone and a raspberry pi can be.

• Like 2