Speaker cable termination options - spade V banana

hi all  i am looking to upgrade from my antique monster cable from the 1990s that i never bothered with until now (was not serious about audio for many years) and want to get a pair of reasonable cables with good connectors.

many people seem to think spades do a good job as a termination type due to pressure and surface area etc (i know there are arguments for other types) but most cables that are already terminated, even quite good quality cables, seem to be sold with just bananas OR with bananas at one end and spades at the other.

Any thoughts as to what the situation is with this?

And a dumb question - if good quality cable is only around 20 bucks a metre (eg some of the audioquest cables), i assume it must cost significantly more to have them terminated, as i have seen finished pairs for sale for multiple hundreds when the cable is quite cheap itself. 

Thanks

James

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, trickydicky said:

hi all  i am looking to upgrade from my antique monster cable from the 1990s that i never bothered with until now (was not serious about audio for many years) and want to get a pair of reasonable cables with good connectors.

many people seem to think spades do a good job as a termination type due to pressure and surface area etc (i know there are arguments for other types) but most cables that are already terminated, even quite good quality cables, seem to be sold with just bananas OR with bananas at one end and spades at the other.

Any thoughts as to what the situation is with this?

And a dumb question - if good quality cable is only around 20 bucks a metre (eg some of the audioquest cables), i assume it must cost significantly more to have them terminated, as i have seen finished pairs for sale for multiple hundreds when the cable is quite cheap itself. 

Thanks

James

Hi James 

i’ve been making cables for the forum members for about 7 years now. I have quite a few options.   My cables are significantly less expensive that normal commercial cables.   And will out preform cables a many times the price 

As for termination.  I actually think that either sawtooth banana plugs are great and for the best connection, locking banana plugs do a better job that spades.  But spades do have their place on certain older speakers 

PM me if your interested 

Bill 

Edited by Bill125812
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Herbs said:

Hit Bill up for some new speaker cables and grab some new interconnects while your at it.

James has ordered speaker cables already 👍