Information on a possible SNA member

On 28/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, Ken said:

There is a Gumtree seller with a large range of gear for sale call 'JT' located in Hallet Cove in SA.

Does anybody know if he is a member of SNA.

Regards

Ken 

I don't believe he is an SNA member just Adelaide's premiere Gumtree flipper....

Some items of his have been on Gumtree for nigh on 5 years as he doesn't budge on his prices and doesn't like to negotiate. 

I Think he's more of a collector than a seller which is reflected in his pricings.

I've met him and sold him gear in the past, nice bloke and all. HiFi is more a hobby of his, I think he is a plumber by trade.

1 hour ago, aasza said:

I Think he's more of a collector than a seller which is reflected in his pricings.

I actually think he is more of a seller than a collector. His business model is to offer approx 1/3 of what he feels he can sell an item for, regardless of how much it might have (recently) cost you. His stated rationale is that he has to cover costs, cover possible repair and warranty issues, and to make a 'reasonable' profit. 

He knows his stuff and is quite passionate about audio, but his intent when buying is based entirely around making a profit. He won't bother looking at anything, collectable or otherwise, unless there's good money in it for him. If that's at someone else's detriment, that's their bad luck.

I've bought and sold gear from him and he's a nice enough guy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Supex SD900 Rosewood and a Fidelity Research MC201 from him a few years ago, each in need of some repair work. I still have the MC201 though have never mounted it up. The SD900 Rosewood I never liked the sound of so sold it..... I much prefer the MC900 Super.