What is my Sansui CA-2000 and BA-2000 worth?

Hi Guys I have a couple pristine units a CA-2000 and BA-2000 Sansui and unfortunately looking to sell them but I just can't figure out a price that is fair. They are up right now on eBay for an exorbitant amount but I have shipping and eBay 11% to deal with and to be honest I am not wanting to let them go cheap. I think they are harder to come by now because they are finding forever homes again more and more so I feel this justifies my asking price.

$4.5K your asking. That's big dosh for a pair of competent 70's amps.  Are they refurbished?

"

Bought this from the USA had it checked by Stereo.net people and they said it’s an excellent piece."

They are good amps. Who checked them?

8 minutes ago, werdnafaz said:

Not refurbished no but have seen them sell in USA for $5999 USD your not taking into account the selling and shipping fees which brings my pocket down to about 3750.

Hmmm... I've never seen the BA/CA-2000 combo sell for that price (and I watch these things pretty closely) but admit that I may have missed it. I've seen plenty of high selling/asking prices in the US though, and even if the combo DID sell for that, it doesn't mean someone will pay that kind of coin locally.

Have a look at the prices that people have repeatedly asked for the Sansui G22000 and G33000 receivers on US ebay - $US13-15k. Purely speculative pricing, and this is reflected in the fact that the gear has sat there for years with no action.

In my opinion, an asking price of $4.5k is absolute top dollar for the BA/CA-2000, and doesn't necessarily reflect where the market is IMHO - especially if the gear has not been fully overhauled and restored. Each to their own though.

I reckon if the planets align and you find someone who is cashed up and ready to go, you maaaay score $3k for an unrestored combo. $2.5k might (and it's a BIG might) yield a quicker sale. It all depends on finding that elusive buyer. There's a much bigger market for entry and mid-level Sansui at the $300-1000 price range.

A few examples of the 'Definition Series' sales on Stereonet over the recent years:

A CA-3000:

And an absolutely MINT AU-20000 (I know, as it's here for restoration):

For context, the AU-20000 is a BA-3000 and CA-3000 in the one chassis (i.e. 170WPC - more powerful and better sounding than the BA/CA-2000 combo (which I also have here for restoration).

I appreciate that these are sales over the past few years, but I haven't seen the pricing of the the top-end models rise over that period of time. In comparison, the prices for some of the lower and mid-range gear has risen through demand. 

At the end of the day, you can set whatever price you want, and the market will determine whether or not it is reasonable by voting with its wallet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, werdnafaz said:

Not refurbished no but have seen them sell in USA for $5999 USD your not taking into account the selling and shipping fees which brings my pocket down to about 3750.

Look I don't want to cruel your dream but that's the US market. It's a completely different beast that market compared to our local one.

So you paid to have them shipped from the US, meh so what?  Lots of us have gone down that route and it's an accepted cost of grabbing something that you really want. "Your pocket" is always going to feel burned buying in from OS.

In the local market that means nothing, it's your cost, not mine the potential buyer. Your pocket means nothing to be honest.

You've got them on eBay and that's a much different selling space than here at SNA.  Keep them there and see how you go and best of luck...I hope you get your asking price.

Untouched by an expert, by someone who knows these inside out, I reckon you'd not sell them here for that price.

You've asked in your title how much do we think your amps are worth.  I think they'd pull up at about $2.5k to maybe $2.8k. Remember that your amps have not been refurbished, not recapped, no 50 year old glue replaced, even de-oxit on the controls. Your buying these blind basically and would have to accept whatever problems they come with(if any to be fair)

If you get better than that on eBay then well done and if you recoup your shipping cost ect then really well done. As I said eBay isn't SNA, we're a harder crowd here?

I wish you good luck in your sale.

Agreed on all accounts. I might then add shipping and reduce the price and then the next bloke can pay for shipping himself. Because that is the thinking. I’m not trying to recoup my shipping from the USA I’m trying to think about the cost of shipping here in Australia which will be at best $150 at worst like $250-300 I don’t really

know. I know I won’t get $4500. Can I ask have you sold stuff on eBay? If I list them at 3k people will be offering me 1500 all day long for a fact so my thinking is list them at 4500 with open to offers and I’m getting offers of 2k which is way to low after sales etc. to much thinking on both sides and everyone trying to screw everyone at the end of the day I have the goods and happy to wait for the right customer. After seeing some of these stats I’ll bring them down a little and add shipping because I think people always accept the shipping to rape them. Not gonna make it my problem then. Was trying to include shipping but people don’t realise that as a bonus they still just want to pay their payment price and shipping is just a rape fest ?

• Volunteer
41 minutes ago, werdnafaz said:

everyone trying to screw everyone at the end of the day I have the goods and happy to wait for the right customer. After seeing some of these stats I’ll bring them down a little and add shipping because I think people always accept the shipping to rape them. Not gonna make it my problem then. Was trying to include shipping but people don’t realise that as a bonus they still just want to pay their payment price and shipping is just a rape fest

?

Unfortunately i have to agree with the opinion of the group. Price is high for this market. I am presently helping a work colleague ship in from the US a pristine trio of the CA/BA 2000 and TU 9900 cost price in A$ 2570 plus $777 shipping so all up $3347.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nothing on the units but extra 10% on shipping only as I use a US based intermediary to facilitate. I just brought in a beautiful Au-9500 for myself at A$580 for the unit plus $520 for shipping including GST.

Hmmm not refurbished and not sure of their cosmetic state...and just going by their design looks/features...both do not appeal to me as much as the AU-20000

I would enter the local market to sell at $1500 each buyer to pay cost of postage...$1600 pick up...

You really need a mad keen Sansui addict to jump in and snap these both up...but I don't have the ca$h anymore... :) 

Just my take on watching sansuis being sold over the years here in oz...