Rythmik Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

I noticed there isn't a Rythmik Audio owners & discussion thread yet so here it is.

I just got two FV18 Rev2 with paper cone subwoofers delivered the other week to replace my SVS PB12/2 subwoofer and wow, what a difference with the accuracy and how seamlessly it integrates with my mains! I was going to go down the path of two SVS PB16 Ultra subwoofers but I'm glad I discovered this little known brand in AU just in time. It's a shame they don't have a big distribution network in AU but I can say dealing with Richard from Audio Salon to buy the new subwoofers was a pleasure and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

These things are massive but luckily they're tucked away nicely behind the seating in the back corners of the HT room. There's quite a bit of settings available on the amp plate so I've had quite a bit of fun and spent countless evenings fiddling with it.

Attached is what the frequency response looks like at -15 main volume, I'm a bit cautious of pushing it a lot further since I'm sure my house will fall apart before these things reach their limits. 

It'd be great to hear from other Rythmik Audio owners about what they think about their subwoofers too, I don't think I'll be thinking about upgrading again for the foreseeable future.

If there's any prospective owners out there with any questions about these subwoofers feel free to yell out.

FV18 REW.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent idea to add a Rythmik Users thread.

F12 here - also from Richard.  Very happy with it.  Was looking for something as compact as possible with for 2.1 system with solid output down to 20Hz.

It lives with Kii 3's (3db ish down at 20Hz) and cross over at 30Hz - so helps bolster bass and unload the Kii's just at the very bottom end.  Output is very tight and controlled.

Gibbo

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Gazer01 said:

I will have mine soon. Can't wait for it. ?

Heaps good! What model did you order?

2 hours ago, stinger said:

Heaps good! What model did you order?

It's just the F12 SE. I would love to get the 15 incher but my budget wouldn't let me but I'm so excited to hear the Rythmik.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, deadlast28 said:

Does anybody know the difference between the F12 and F12SE?

Pretty sure from when I looked the difference is purely in the cabinet - the SE is a Gloss finish where as the others are a matt veneer.  The internals are the same on both. 
There are a couple of Australian distributors and a choice of factory cabinets (ala F12 or F12SE) or bespoke cabinets made down here.  As of a year ago rough guide is new price of ~< $2k for F12 in factory cabinet and $2.5 - 3k in local cabinet.  But check with the suppliers - Red Spade and Audio Salon.

Gibbo

• 3 months later...

@stinger How did you set-up the subs? Mini DSP/REW or other? Ive got a couple on order and looking at your output curve its nice & consistent with the output.

@kudeta2003 that's awesome, what model did you order?

My process was level matching them using a Umik-1 & REW and then I used Dirac Live for the EQ and tweaked/experimented with the curve. I've got a MiniDSP for further tuning and BEQ but I'm waiting on some cables from @Bill125812 before I can play around with it.

Here's a guide that I got from Enrico at Rythmik to help setup the subs that is worth a read.

Dialing-in Rythmik Subwoofers_2019-05-14-1.pdf

On 27/11/2020 at 10:36 PM, gibbo9000 said:

Excellent idea to add a Rythmik Users thread.

Indeed!  :thumb:

On 27/11/2020 at 10:36 PM, gibbo9000 said:

It lives with Kii 3's (3db ish down at 20Hz) and cross over at 30Hz - so helps bolster bass and unload the Kii's just at the very bottom end.

So you are rolling off your Kii 3s?

Andy

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, stinger said:

@kudeta2003 that's awesome, what model did you order?

I've got a couple of the F18's on order, I like the sealed vs ported and the size of the F18's helps. Can't wait to have a listen in my room. Thanks for the guide also.

Edited by kudeta2003

mmm i feel all warm and fuzzy ,as ive got 2 of the buggers !

12" and with my deqx in the system they interface really well 

and must go down to a flatish 20 at least 

as good a bass extension as the big genesis ive listened to 

don't need a lot of volume to push the air

im a happy camper

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I've got 2 x 12" Rythmik subs with 2 x 375W Rythmik amps in a custom designed tapped horn (designed by Paul at Redspade)

Finished sub outdoors for a measurement

2080352437_T20tappedhorn.jpg.51b7af1723810e121d33758229191202.jpg

Outdoor measurement, mic 1m above the mouth

256507962_T20tappedhornoutdoormeasurement.jpg.70db95398fe5500d4372034d181ca1af.jpg

"In room" it gets to around 20Hz without EQ due to the room gain.

I run a low pass filter at 60Hz to cross to the mains.

I originally ran a 20Hz high pass filter to avoid over excursion of the drivers (tapped horns have the same issue as ported boxes - ie excursion increases rapidly below tuning), but removed it, as in my small room, even at elevated volumes the drivers don't move much...

...they get going a bit on movies such as the depth charge scenes in U571, and the lightning strikes in War of the Worlds (the Tom Cruise one), and Danley's fireworks track - but nowhere near Xmax

cheers

Mike

Edited by almikel
additional info
  • Like 6
On 12/05/2021 at 10:29 PM, andyr said:

So you are rolling off your Kii 3s?

Yes @andyr  miniDSP Studio manages 4 presets: no Sub, and xovers at 30, 50 and 80Hz (LR 48db/Octave roll off on Kiis and Sub).  And each has its own Dirac curve with increasing bass boost as xover frequency increases.

21 minutes ago, gibbo9000 said:

Yes @andyr  miniDSP Studio manages 4 presets: no Sub, and xovers at 30, 50 and 80Hz (LR 48db/Octave roll off on Kiis and Sub).  And each has its own Dirac curve with increasing bass boost as xover frequency increases.

Excellent!  :thumb:

I'd be interested, David, in your opinion of the affect on (increase to!) Group Delay when you:

a.  move the XO lower, and

b.  make it steeper.

Particularly at 30 & 50Hz, have you compared how much greater the GD is at 48dB slopes ... compared to 24dB slopes?  The important thing of course, is whether this increased GD is actually audible - people say it is ... so I've never gone beyond 4th-order LRs.  :(

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

I'd be interested, David, in your opinion of the affect on (increase to!) Group Delay when you:

a.  move the XO lower, and

b.  make it steeper.

Pragmatic answer is probably above my pay grade and beyond my listening ability to tell - complicated by artefacts of my whole setup.!!  A few thoughts to explain:

• The core Kii recommendation on sub integration is 30Hz cross-over with steep roll off to unload their bottom end - the area their cabinet / cone / amp combination runs out of oomph and triggers the DSP limiting built in.  So done well it increases SPL ceiling for the whole system.  I also had more problems with 'transition' peaks and troughs at LR-4 for 50 and 80 Hz x-overs (and much worse with BW) so fixed on LR-8 early and didn't do a lot more work on that..
  • Second consideration is the Kii DSP ~100ms latency relative to sub - and how to measure that accurately.  I used REW timing reference approach with 80Hz sub roll off in place against Kii's.  Much is written elsewhere on the accuracy/traps inherent in that but it is the best I could do.  Also that delay is beyond the miniDSP Studio ability so I have a an OpenDRC-DA8 after the Studio for managing delay and D/A to sub.  The limitations in accuracy of that measurement (and implementation) process may well over ride any audible differences from group delay of low frequencies.
  • My other unknown is Dirac Live on the Studio.  Is it capable of working out timing differences at different frequencies and having a go at fixing them? Some seem to think that is in its remit - I simply don't know.  If it does then I guess it would remove group delay as well.

So putting all those together what I can tell you is that if I take the four x-over set ups (None, 30, 50 and 80 Hz) and optimise them all to my standard Dirac curve (which just tidies up below 200Hz) I can't audibly tell the difference between them at normal to loud listening levels - and I have spent quite a while listening while I got happy that should be the case!.  Whether that is Dirac sorting things out or my cloth ears not being able to tell the difference is unclear.  The higher x-over levels just support high SPL by shifting load from Kiis to Sub (and allow me to use more aggressive bass curves if want the air to move). 
But you raise an interesting question I will think about and contemplate some experimenting without Dirac in the mix . . .

Gibbo

• Like 1
On 14/05/2021 at 3:44 PM, andyr said:

Particularly at 30 & 50Hz, have you compared how much greater the GD is at 48dB slopes ... compared to 24dB slopes?  The important thing of course, is whether this increased GD is actually audible - people say it is ... so I've never gone beyond 4th-order LRs.  :(

By the time the room has mucked with the response I suspect the additional GD of 48dB slopes over 24dB slopes would be in-audible if a smooth "in room" FR was achieved in both cases...

On 14/05/2021 at 3:44 PM, andyr said:

so I've never gone beyond 4th-order LRs.  :(

...but if it ain't broke...

Hi all, great idea for the thread. I got my FVX15 from Richard September last year. Haven't done much integration with it except the basic in manuals and through Dirac Live.

I got an Umik 1 but haven't had time to dive into REW and all the different settings. 

I got it mainly for movies and it has not disappointed so far. Although it is a massive sub for my small room, so I should have gotten the F12 instead.

• Like 1