Recommend a hiking tent

After a good life, my ancient hiking tent has gone to the great campground in the sky.

I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement, ideally with the following features:

- roomy 2-person tent - big enough for backpacks inside or with a vestibule that's big enough for them

- lightweight (under 2.5 kg or even 2kg if possible) but also able to withstand the weather (we love hiking in Tassie)

- two door

- ideally two vestibules

I see things like Big Agnes and Mont recommended a lot but it's hard to know as the "best hiking tent" sites all seem to be thinly disguised adverts rather than independent reviews.

Thanks in advance!

I'd suggest you seek advice in a camping forum as opposed to an audiophile(wannabe) forum. Might be a better target audience for advice.

19 minutes ago, Luc said:

I'd suggest you seek advice in a camping forum as opposed to an audiophile(wannabe) forum. Might be a better target audience for advice.

You are probably right but I just wanted to avoid having to join yet another forum

I've got a 1 man MSR, its been as far as Karijini to the West and the high country in Tassie to the south. Been really good. Its about 10 years old, probably been used 10 times for various lengths. They deserve their reputation.

FB_IMG_1606619388085.jpg

Edited by Peter the Greek
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

I've got a 1 man Mont, its been as far as Karijini to the West and the high country in Tassie to the south. Been really good. Its about 10 years old, probably been used 10 times for various lengths. They deserve their reputation.

FB_IMG_1606619388085.jpg

Thanks, finally some sensible advice in this thread :)

10 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Thanks, finally some sensible advice in this thread :)

Except I got the brand wrong....! MSR not Mont....I've got a heap of Mont gear too. No tents

Edit: holly dooly their expensive now.....$750! ouch

Edited by Peter the Greek
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Except I got the brand wrong....! MSR not Mont....I've got a heap of Mont gear too. No tents

Edit: holly dooly their expensive now.....$750! ouch

Thanks Peter.

I was also looking at MSR, some decent sales on at the moment but still a lot more than I paid for my old tent all those years ago

51 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Thanks Peter.

I was also looking at MSR, some decent sales on at the moment but still a lot more than I paid for my old tent all those years ago

I just went back through my emails, US$270 January 2012.....

On 27/11/2020 at 3:45 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

After a good life, my ancient hiking tent has gone to the great campground in the sky.

I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement, ideally with the following features:

- roomy 2-person tent - big enough for backpacks inside or with a vestibule that's big enough for them

- lightweight (under 2.5 kg or even 2kg if possible) but also able to withstand the weather (we love hiking in Tassie)

- two door

- ideally two vestibules

I see things like Big Agnes and Mont recommended a lot but it's hard to know as the "best hiking tent" sites all seem to be thinly disguised adverts rather than independent reviews.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Trev,

I use Mac Pac personally. Good brand and made in NZ, suitable for Tassie weather as a semi native Tasmanian myself (I assumed it is three season tent you're looking for). 

https://www.macpac.com.au/auto/tents/macpac-duolight-hiking-tent-—-two-person/118644.html

Think it is within spec.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I've a slightly different perspective:

Maybe I don't camp as often, so I bought a cheap Coleman, and some brandless stuff you find at Big W, and then if it's really torn up or it's nasty when I next take it out, I discard it.

A waste perhaps, but I only go once in a year, so I don't spend on an expensive one.. I love the stuff I used before, Agnes, Macpac etc, but after two years, the thing still deteriorates in storage and I end up binning them anyway... so I've gone cheap.

These won't work in a true Nepalese hike, but they work well in good weather with some slight rain.. 

Hi Trev

Heaps of options and like hifi the good stuff is often bloody expensive. 

Macpac have always made good tents. They are now owned by some generic sporting conglomerate, so divorced from their NZ backcountry roots, but still make most of the classic designs and often discounted upto 40-50%. They are a bit heavy by modern standards, but well built. 

OnePlanet stuff is good and still made in Australia which is admirable, but also probably part of the reason it is never heavily discounted.

MSR gear is nice; well designed. Generally lighter than Australasian brands but not quite as heavy duty. (Edit: No question they are strong enough, just need to be a little more careful with thinner floors, etc.)

There are also a lot of cottage industry outfits, mostly out of the US, serving the ultralight (and often ultra expensive) market. I haven't used them but TarpTent have a reputation for good quality and value. Might be worth a look.

petetherock is right: some of the cheap stuff is surprisingly good for the money (Like DACs?). But you don't want to take too many chances with Tassie weather.

Tom

Edited by Monty
  • Like 1

Concur with @Monty. You don't get caught by the roaring forties weather. I once forgot to bring my sleeping mat with me in the highlands, sleet was coming down sideways. I won't forget how cold it was and this was during mid-summer. Bring good gear with you. If you're not comfortable, enjoyment is out of the window. 

Edited by ChupaChups

Thanks for the advice folks. I took a trip to what used to be the hiking centre of melbourne… Little Bourke Street and Hardware lane. Much to my disappointment there's only one hiking store left. Sure the other are there, but in name only…. I'm sorry to say but Kathmandu, Macpac (yes even my beloved Macpac), Paddy pallid.. they are all 'lifestyle' stores now :(

The only decent store left is Bogong. 

Anyway I ended up getting a Mont tent on their recommendation… more money than I'd planned on spending but they did price match so I ended up saving about 25%

• Like 2

if you want to get the hiking bug or just chill/unwind, just watch this. Scotty uses a Weschel Exogen 1 on the rare occasion he uses a tent. He's also working with Alton on a lightweight hiking swag concept, which will be interesting to see. Personally I'm more of a camping/caravaner type, but love this channel none the less.

Edited by blybo