SOLD: FS: Pimped out MUJI studio tube DAC

Item Condition: Very good - see photos
Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price.
Suburb or Town: Wollongong
State: NSW
Payment Method: Paypal (F&F or buyer pays fees), EFT
Reason for selling: Too many DACs on the dancefloor

Purchased from modding wizard @MattyW a couple of months ago to see if i liked the sound of the old pre-delta sigma DACs - and the answer is I liked it so much i immediately bought of the Abbas Audio DACs for many times this price - this has now finishing being hand made and is winging its way through the super efficient ukrainian postage system to me so this one can be moved on. Don't be fooled by the price, its flippin fantastic sound. Price includes courier but insurance (if wanted) at buyers cost. 

Details from Matt's original ad below:

For your consideration is my pimped Muji Studio DAC II. In it's stock form it's nothing special though with the upgrades it's had it's very much a reference level DAC with excellent detail and massive, spacious sound stage. Not as warm sounding as you might expect for unit with tube output.

It's had quite a bit of work done to it and upgrades including:

• Conversion from 110 to 240VAC
  • Conversion from oversampling to non oversampling (NOS) mode of operation
  • Replaced the TDA1541A R1 chip with a rare early Holland made TDA1541 S1 chip. Far more natural with that toe tapping quality. I'm never likely to come across one of these chips again.
  • 4x NE5532 OPAMPS removed and sockets installed. Currently in place is a pair of Burson V5i-D and Burson V6-D Vivid OPAMPs. A pair of Sparko's SS3602 are included should you which to OPAMP roll a bit.
  • Output caps changed for 1uf Miflex KFPM-1 bypassed with Duelund silver bypass caps on Neotech UPOCC extensions. Caps wrapped in Ping Jing vibtration damping material reducing hum.
  • Tube coupling caps changed for Arizona Blue Cactus on Neotech UPOCC extensions
  • Caps around the TDA1541, OPAMPS closest the tubes and reclock module upgraded. @muon* has further details on this  :)
  • RCA's changed for quality Rhodium plated copper with hollow tellurium copper centre pin.
  • Phillips ECC88 tubes

Buffer Amplifier Tube:EI PCC88*2/6DJ8/ECC88(6.3V~7V)

* Input AC Voltage: 240V
* Weight: 7kg
* Input: COAXIAL / Optical/USB 
* Output: RCA Jacks /XLR
* AC: Standard IEC Jack with Britain 2A Fuse 

*Size:44*29*6(cm)

IMG_8059.jpeg

IMG_8058.jpeg

20200715_082027.thumb.jpg.f4b4a94d586bba3f6827ac7ede7560c9.jpg

20200715_081956.thumb.jpg.6f5a6a4f2a658023e5c1510d634546bb.jpg

• Like 2

To this day one of the best soundings DAC's I've ever heard. The Abbas is a noticeable step up from it though at 3x the cost. I suspect this will sell quickly.

It may be worthwhile linking my original listing as there's feedback regarding its sound from members in there.  :)

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, pretender said:

I am running 93-94dB efficient speakers. Could there be any hum/noise from the unit?

Thanks

I found it was dependant on placement, in one part of my house i had a mild hum, in the other part i didn't - this was with 96db sensitive Tekton Lores so similar efficiency. I found even with the hum it wasn't noticable once music was playing.  When i used it with my headphone amp the hum was almost imperceptible even with no music on. 

Edited by DrMikeOz

When I had it I used in each of my systems, 101db and 97db efficient respectively.  The unit does have some hum however it must be noted that it also has an extremely high output level. The hum is inaudible when music is playing.  :)

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, DrMikeOz said:

I found it was dependant on placement, in one part of my house i had a mild hum, in the other part i didn't - this was with 96db sensitive Tekton Lores so similar efficiency. I found even with the hum it wasn't noticable once music was playing.  When i used it with my headphone amp the hum was almost imperceptible even with no music on. 

Sorry to go off topic, but do you run Tekton speakers? Always wanted to get a pair, just seems impossible to find anyone with them and at the moment to get any into the country!

2 minutes ago, AstroNerd said:

Sorry to go off topic, but do you run Tekton speakers? Always wanted to get a pair, just seems impossible to find anyone with them and at the moment to get any into the country!

Yup! I've got a pair of Tekton Lores which are amazing - i'll be selling them in about a week when (after a 5 month wait) my new Tekton Perfect SET 2-10's arrive! 

Amazing speakers, insanely long wait times (and shipping costs!) 

36 minutes ago, MattyW said:

A little surprised this is still here..... @evil c has experience with this unit.  :)

Yes I sure do!

Had resisted commenting as was sure would sell itself - bristling with quality parts and at such a good price. 

I had it for a few weeks on loan, and was amazed with the amount of detail and imaging it had.

I agonized about keeping it,  but it had already been promised to @DrMikeOz.

For a lazy 1k, a no brainer of a good buy!! :thumb:

Here's a copy of my thoughts on my DAC thread. Start of page 8 

Edited by evil c
  • Like 2

There was a time when everyone was buying stuff as they were working from home..... It seems a lot of people are now back in at the office and trying to sell of their kit rather than hang onto it. A shame my systems are pretty well bang on where I want them as now would be a good time to buy. A buyers market  :)

Edited by MattyW

Well I believe he'll be delighted with it.... I suspect it will better his Burr Brown DAC's though I daresay time will tell  :)

Might have to silk screen MMM onto the face plate  ;)

Edited by MattyW