I am not to sure where to put this. As it is computer, but sound.

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/best-computer-speakers

I am not to sure if i can put that link. 

I am looking for new 2.1 computer sound. 

I am coming from a wall mounted 5.1 paradigm system with av ( around 3500 all up).

I have had this for around 8 odd years.

With life moving on, i am using that speaker setup from my family tv now.

( my main movie room as a 12k odd paradigm system.)

I know this is a back story, i  am just used to good sound.

On that list there are a few which look ok. Namely the Razor @ $888.

My main issue is, i have a 160x80 desk with a li lan xl case with a 48 inch oled .

I want the speakers to be smallish becuase i am not to sure if i am going to put the pc along the back ( so i can see the watercooled parts ) or standard back to front.

I like a minimal desk.

The razor speaker i cannot find the dimessions.

I am also open to a very small amp and small powerful  ( movie) speakers too.

Any ideas.

The best I've heard were small desktop open baffles using 9" Dayton PS220-8 full range point source drivers, a Wharfdale SW150 sub , 50WPC Topping amp, 8x TDA1387 DAC, 3mm Van Damme LC-OFC speaker cable and Neotech UPOCC RCA leads. Just spectacular results, small footprint and doesn't break the bank either.

Open baffle gets fantastic detail retrieval though with such a small size a sub is definitely required for bass augmentation.

This complete system ended up going to mum and her partner for use with a HTPC for music and use with their TV. They're delighted with it.

Considering how well these performed I intend to build another two pair for myself though this time using a Zenith 49CZ924 paired with Motorola Piezo tweeters, also another using vintage Plessey Rola drivers + beryllium dome tweeters   :)

As you can see the build is very simple. A plank of hardwood with holes cut for drivers, rubber feet screwed on the bottom, and a Zenith bracket from Bunnings attached to the baffle.  ;)

20201013_124541.jpg

20201012_162711.jpg

20201012_162718.jpg

20201012_162730.jpg

Edited by MattyW

If space is a premium, maybe active bookshelves along the lines of an audio engine or better (depending on budget) might suit. The HD3 wireless seem decent.

Edited by Andre28

3 hours ago, MattyW said:

Considering how well these performed I intend to build another two pair for myself though this time using a Zenith 49CZ924 paired with Motorola Piezo tweeters, also another using vintage Plessey Rola drivers + beryllium dome tweeters   :)

A couple of different manuals for the Rola/Plessey range...if you're still interested in them.

rola.pdf Rola-Plessey data.pdf

Michail Barabasz of Lorantz Audio Services was formerly the loudspeaker designer/ engineering manager for Plessey Rola Australia.

Edited by Cloth Ears
  • Thanks 1

IK Multimedia MTM - I know a guy selling a set soon.

Dig down to 50hz fairly comfortably, despite their compact size.

Would suit, just need a DAC/Preamp to feed them XLR.

1 hour ago, Cloth Ears said:

A couple of different manuals for the Rola/Plessey range...if you're still interested in them.

rola.pdf 1.08 MB · 0 downloads Rola-Plessey data.pdf 2.67 MB · 0 downloads

Michail Barabasz of Lorantz Audio Services was formerly the loudspeaker designer/ engineering manager for Plessey Rola Australia.

Yes, Lorantz make some copies of the vintage Celestion Greenback for guitar cabs that are meant to be rather nice.

The ones I have I've only been able to find a single mention of online and no tech data.

The model is C8M00 - Looks like that data you provided shows these will only go down to 70Hz. Still I've give them a try  :)

When they were in their original cabinets though they had a really lovely, unforgettable sound. Definitely needed a tweeter added though as it lacked detail. At the same time it sounded so incredibly good you could forgive the lack of detail. Big, room filling sound that excited your ears somehow.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1