Dolby Atmos Speaker’s

Hi Guys 

I am making some up firing speakers and have came across a statement saying that up firing speakers have a RF spike built in. 
Just wondering if anyone has any more info on this . 
l am using a Morel CAW 538 driver and a Fountek Neo CD3.0 ribbon tweeter for each up firing speaker.

As always any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

I had a reply back from one of the members and he was saying commercial up firing speakers have a RF spike built in . I really do not know what this is either .

I've read numerous articles on Dolby ATMOS and there's nothing special about the upward firing speakers AFAIK.   In essence many ATMOS gurus suggest using conventional bookshelf speakers and angling them at 20 degrees from the horizontal plane.

I can't find any references to "RF spikes" in any of the technical documentation that I've read thus far, BUT I will admit that I've certainly not read every article published on the subject.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be re-approaching the person who quoted the "RF spikes" and asking for some leads towards some supporting documentation.  In the meanwhile I'd take the claim with a grain of salt and continue with the DIY project as a conventional (albeit up firing) speaker.

Keep us posted on the outcome.  I'm sure most reading and responding to this thread would be interested in learning more on the subject.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Proper up-firing Atmos modules do indeed have a frequency "spike". That is why the good ones have a switch for Normal or Atmos

Apparently some frequencies are increased to give more localisation once the sound bounces off the ceiling and others are attenuated so as not to interfere with the ear level speakers.

My suggestion is just don't bother. If you have to have up-firing then just buy them or better yet find some way of installing proper speakers up high.

Use Acro props (or similar - do a google search) and mount bookshelf or satellite speakers from them if you can't permanently install height speakers.

1 hour ago, niterida said:

Proper up-firing Atmos modules do indeed have a frequency "spike". That is why the good ones have a switch for Normal or Atmos

Apparently some frequencies are increased to give more localisation once the sound bounces off the ceiling and others are attenuated so as not to interfere with the ear level speakers.

My suggestion is just don't bother. If you have to have up-firing then just buy them or better yet find some way of installing proper speakers up high.

Use Acro props (or similar - do a google search) and mount bookshelf or satellite speakers from them if you can't permanently install height speakers.

Link please.  I'd like to learn more about this.  A Google search produced 0 results for "Acro props".  Plenty for "acrow props" but those results seem to have no relevance to Dolby ATMOS speakers.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Sorry typo - acrow props is what I meant :)

Nothing to do with speakers but I was just assuming the OP was looking at up-firing because they couldn't permanently install ceiling speakers - these will give you a support pole to mount some if you can't permanently install them. There may be other non-industrial options or even just a bit of wood cut to length and wedged between floor and ceiling could work.

The industrial look in the lounge wouldn’t bother me to much but l am not brave enough to mention it to the minister of no fun lol . 
I have a aircon on the left side right were the side Atmos needs to be the rears are not a problem but the right side has the kitchen with a slightly lowered ceiling that is not deep enough to fit a speaker. 
This is why l was thinking of 4 tower speakers with up firing speakers for the Atmos . When not in use they can be put away to keep the minister of no fun happy. I have attached a rough sketch of what I have in mind . It’s only a rough stretch for me to keep track of measurements and not to scale . The 980 mm mark is my ear level in the listening position. 

it might be worth buying some proper up firing speakers and building them into my tower speakers. But l must admit buying speakers goes against my grain . When you break down all the components many people would be shocked at the actual quality of the components used . 
Thanks again guys everyone’s comments are much appreciated and taken on board good or bad 

Cheers 

Adrian

931F2887-A0E6-4B6A-A5AF-D19FF387AE6D.jpeg