Computer Audio Newbie.

Rob Poort

As a newbie to computer audio i had a couple of questions.

I have always been into headphones and as such have have a nice collection of cans and headphone amps.

Recently dipping my toe into computer audio. I have subscribed to Tidal Hi-Fi quality and have running on desktop, iphone and ipad going into a Topping D90 DAC and or Stax SRM D-50 DAC. then into headphone amp or direct to Accuphase intergrated via balanced XLR.

From a sound quality perspective is there any reason to subscribe to Roon  or Audivarna? While i know Roon has some interesting features and i may well subscribe down the track. But does running Tidal through Roon  or Audivarna sound any better?

Regards Rob.

I would agree in general that it is not worth a Roon subscription for any difference in SQ. Same for Audivarna. In my experience there is some difference in SQ, but it is very minimal. Less difference than, say, Spotify Ogg-Vorbis vs Tidal FLAC.  The user interface and library integration are the main selling points for these software packages.  The point with Roon particularly is to pull you into a visual interface that encourages you to explore your music and learn as you go, whilst also giving you avenues into other music you may like.  It is addictive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stereophilus said:

The user interface and library integration are the main selling points for these software packages.  The point with Roon particularly is to pull you into a visual interface that encourages you to explore your music and learn as you go, whilst also giving you avenues into other music you may like.  It is addictive.

I also found music that I had ripped but never listened too before ROON took me on a journey.  I have other ways of listening to the files that I have that sound better than through ROON.  I still use ROON 99% of the time because of its "file management" and information features.

John