Computer Audio Newbie.

As a newbie to computer audio i had a couple of questions.

I have always been into headphones and as such have have a nice collection of cans and headphone amps.

Recently dipping my toe into computer audio. I have subscribed to Tidal Hi-Fi quality and have running on desktop, iphone and ipad going into a Topping D90 DAC and or Stax SRM D-50 DAC. then into headphone amp or direct to Accuphase intergrated via balanced XLR.

From a sound quality perspective is there any reason to subscribe to Roon  or Audivarna? While i know Roon has some interesting features and i may well subscribe down the track. But does running Tidal through Roon  or Audivarna sound any better?

Regards Rob.

SQ-no. Those programs are about convenience, UI, DSP, mulitroom, etc.  Of course, all sorts of DSP functions that are built in can help improve SQ. But just in terms of straight playback-no.

• Like 2

I would agree in general that it is not worth a Roon subscription for any difference in SQ. Same for Audivarna. In my experience there is some difference in SQ, but it is very minimal. Less difference than, say, Spotify Ogg-Vorbis vs Tidal FLAC.  The user interface and library integration are the main selling points for these software packages.  The point with Roon particularly is to pull you into a visual interface that encourages you to explore your music and learn as you go, whilst also giving you avenues into other music you may like.  It is addictive.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stereophilus said:

The user interface and library integration are the main selling points for these software packages.  The point with Roon particularly is to pull you into a visual interface that encourages you to explore your music and learn as you go, whilst also giving you avenues into other music you may like.  It is addictive.

I also found music that I had ripped but never listened too before ROON took me on a journey.  I have other ways of listening to the files that I have that sound better than through ROON.  I still use ROON 99% of the time because of its "file management" and information features.

John