Pioneer (Andrew Jones design) at Kogan

I run a pair of the Andrew Jones book shelf speakers in my small system, and picked up a pair of these floor standers a week ago. Breaking them in on the big system front end, with the aim of adding to an a/v system.

These speakers have been on the market for several years, and it’s paradoxical that because they are so affordable, people presume they are rubbish.

In fact, they are a total delight, and a few friends, having heard them after 4 days of breaking in, have ordered their own sets.

These speakers are all about the music. Every genre, from delta blues, to symphonic, electronic to rock sounds a great. 
If they were marketed at $1,200 a pair, listeners would say they are great value. At $400, an unbelievable bargain.

I will be largely house bound for the next 6 weeks, and probably not going to manage stairs, so really wanted something satisfying upstairs to share straight music and movie duties. Bingo !

For a starter system, you need look no further. Spend the rest of the budget on a decent front end and amp, and you are on your way.

Billy

• Like 6

No Doug, the Dunnies in your Church system will suffice ! But for a second system , maybe. That said, you may be surprised at what they do on the end of a good source. Sounds way above their price point.

Billy.

• Like 1

I put my Neighbour onto these a few months ago. He invited me over a week ago to listen to them.

They blew me away given their size and price. IMO even at their RRP they are a bargain.

Highly recommended but I am biased.

Edited by Yamaha_man

Euro voicing versus yankee. Balanced top to bottom, excellent soundstage, quite a lot of ‘ out of box ‘ detail. Very satisfying dynamic range which has got better and better with the hours notched up.

Guitar and voice very natural, but able to do the low synth notes on Rick Wakemans’ MERLIN with surprising assurance.

If you are on the endless quest to find audio nirvana and willing to throw bucks at it, look elsewhere.

If you  are all about the music and want a reliable  speaker that will do justice to any genre, won’t  break the bank, and punches well above its weight , this may suit the bill.

Billy

• Like 2

With respect, don’t confuse the fact that these are inexpensive with them being ‘ disposable’ and ok to spill a beer on.

Andrew Jones designed a great sounding speaker for music lovers with a real world budget, just what Pioneer commissioned him to do.

Have a google about what his next project was, and how much they cost. 

• Like 3

I haven't heard the floor standers but grabbed a pair of the bookshelves a few months (Year?) ago from Dick Smith (Kogan) for under $200 delivered.

At the selling price, I don't see how they can be beaten. They are not going to compete with speakers that are 10 times their price, but but for a 2nd  or starter system they are brilliant.

I would be buying a pair of the floor standers if I had somewhere to put them

They tend to pop up on Grays online as well - just watch out for the illogical "buy it now' pricing:

image.png.64a4bd7d0cd7e8cb0f67d5c7abdd26a5.png

There are also some for auction:

https://www.graysonline.com/audio-tv-and-home-theatre?q=andrew&tab=items

• Like 1

The Appliances Online ad refers to a "single" SPFS52 - first reaction is that a pair would be $514. But feel free to explain why I'm wrong (I'm good at being wrong, 'cos I've had lots of practice).

Edited by David Walker

I think that you're clicking on the wrong link/item.  Try this one as per the Original post.  It does state a pair for $399.00.  Shipping costs may need to be added, though.

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/pioneer-single-floorstand-loudspeaker-designed-by-andrew-jones-spfs52-pioneer-bundle/?utm_content=hero&utm_content=hours_since_17&utm_campaign=personalised_price_drop&utm_source=kogan&utm_medium=email

Edited by Antipodean Brad

34 minutes ago, Antipodean Brad said:

I think that you're clicking on the wrong link/item.  Thy this one as per the Original post.  It does state a pair for $399.00.  Shipping costs may need to be added, though.

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/pioneer-single-floorstand-loudspeaker-designed-by-andrew-jones-spfs52-pioneer-bundle/?utm_content=hero&utm_content=hours_since_17&utm_campaign=personalised_price_drop&utm_source=kogan&utm_medium=email

Yeah Kogan is weird pricing for a single speaker $349, pricing for a pair just $399

i guess pair pricing is for Black Friday

8 hours ago, David Walker said:

Single" SPFS52 - first reaction is that a pair would be $514. But feel free to explain why I'm wrong (I'm good at being wrong, 'cos I've had lots of practice).

One of these days I think I will actually go a step further and pull the trigger on one of these “single deals” 🤦‍♂️

12 hours ago, Antipodean Brad said:

I think that you're clicking on the wrong link/item.  Thy this one as per the Original post.  It does state a pair for $399.00.  Shipping costs may need to be added, though.

Apologies - I was referring to the screenshot of the Appliances Online offer of a "single" SPFS52 for $257. Original comment now edited for clarity.