Advice on improving my Turntable set up

Hi all,

Looking for some assistance in finding out next best step to take in improving my current set up. Bit of a gumby when it comes to what to do

I currently have a Pioneer LP30 turntable and a Yamaha HTR-6130 receiver, with Yamaha NS-333 speakers.  The speakers were a the most recent addition, as found them here on classifieds at a good price and they replaced some terrible basic home theatre speakers.. I'm not a fan of my receiver, as it was a budget one I bought years ago and I'm not wrapped with the sound I'm getting.

Without spending a lot of money, what should my next step be to improve my sound? Should a look for a new receiver/amplifier, a pre-amp (would that be usable with my receiver?) or something else? I have a current budget of around $500, but if there's better options, I can build some more budget over the next few months. I'm not looking ot spend $1000's

Thanks for your help

1 hour ago, lenticularis said:

There's a Rega Elex integrated being sold by LWA in the Commercial Classfieds.

bit over budget but well worth it

37 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

bit over budget but well worth it

Yes, it looks great. A little over budget at the moment, but I will see what I can muster up before it goes hopefully

• Like 1

1. A more powerful amp with a good phono stage seems like a gimme no matter what else you do. But have you heard those speakers in a system that confirmed they have a sound you love? It's possible that they are really good but just not quite to your taste.

Anyway, there are a few 90s era integrated amps that aren't retro cool (yet 😅) but have good phono stages and are pretty affordable from Denon, Marantz etc.

2. You don't mention your cartridge but in a vinyl front-end system an upgrade can make a difference that's good value. Especially if you might need a new stylus anyway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RCAJack said:

1. A more powerful amp with a good phono stage seems like a gimme no matter what else you do. But have you heard those speakers in a system that confirmed they have a sound you love? It's possible that they are really good but just not quite to your taste.

Anyway, there are a few 90s era integrated amps that aren't retro cool (yet 😅) but have good phono stages and are pretty affordable from Denon, Marantz etc.

2. You don't mention your cartridge but in a vinyl front-end system an upgrade can make a difference that's good value. Especially if you might need a new stylus anyway.

Thanks mate, yes already looking at a cartridge upgrade.

As for the speakers, I have heard them  on a mates setup and did like the sound. I am definitely looking into the ingrated Amp suggestions and think this will be my next step

• Like 1