I think you'd have to be very naive to not have expected that this would start happening with the streaming providers.  Once they have us all hooked, they have us at their whim for price hikes and as you've pointed out, many of us have demonstrated a willingness to pay a lot more for inferior services like Foxtel in the past.

I have noticed a lot of fragmentation of content and people needing multiple streaming services to see all they want.  From my friend group I've also seen this kickstart low level content piracy up again.

There's a real fine line between convenience of streaming and cost I think. This is less of an issue (for now) with music, as long as you subscribe to a big library, there's marginal differences between one or the other.  For video though, stacking up a handful of services starts to add up.

24 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

Still astronomically better than the last time I had Foxtel - $129/m

2 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

I think you'd have to be very naive to not have expected that this would start happening with the streaming providers.  

Still I have to compare that to Prime Video which is less than $5 a month bought yearly and has heaps of good content.  We watch it just as much as Netflix - which is now 3 times that price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

Still I have to compare that to Prime Video which is less than $5 a month bought yearly and has heaps of good content.  We watch it just as much as Netflix - which is now 3 times that price.

Have that - and Stan, Binge and Disney XD

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

Wow, that much? I'm not tied into any content provider (except Tidal) so might consider making the switch to Amazon Prime.

I often forget about series between seasons and since Altered Carbon was cancelled... Well there's no other show compelling enough to keep me on any one provider.

I wonder if the Netflix button on my Nvidia Shield can be reprogrammed to open another app?

Edited by MattyW

Yeah I finally cancelled mine. I mainly watch disc, but had kept it for a couple of shows, never went 4k as when I was ready to do it and had time, the covid degredation happened, so never bothered). Anyhow the only reason I kept it was my wife watched it. But whenever I saw her on the tv she'd be wathing stupid videos on youtube.

I watch more on prime. And just one price too including 4k.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I mostly use it for watching TV and movies on the home theatre setup..... Ultra short throw projector, 5.1 sound etc. The TV upstairs is mostly used with YouTube for baby shows (Dave & Ava etc) and a Chinese streaming site for my wife. The TV is never on if our toddler is in the room as shes allowed 30 minutes TV per day only.