Advice please in next step in improving my set up

Hi all,

Looking for some assistance in finding out next best step to take in improving my current set up. Bit of a gumby when it comes to what to do

I currently have a Pioneer LP30 turntable and a Yamaha HTR-6130 receiver, with Yamaha NS-333 speakers.  The speakers were a the most recent addition, as found them here on classifieds at a good price and they replaced some terrible basic home theatre speakers.. I'm not a fan of my receiver, as it was a budget one I bought years ago and I'm not wrapped with the sound I'm getting.

Without spending a lot of money, what should my next step be to improve my sound? Should a look for a new receiver/amplifier, a pre-amp (would that be usable with my receiver?) or something else? I have a current budget of around $500, but if there's better options, I can build some more budget over the next few months. I'm not looking ot spend $1000's

Thanks for your help

> an external phono stage - there are many 2nd hand options in the $200 ( hell i got a wee Rega mini not being used, i see you is in Bne if you want to dabble - just PM) 

> new cart - the AT95 /(newer) ATVM-95 options would be top of my list they are in the area of $100 new 

> odds and ends: platter mat (leather or the fancy branded mystery mixture ones), carbon brush, cleaning spray, you might need additional cables to incorporate the phono stage, cart alignment and tracking force tools, test LP, etc, etc.

these should yield noticeable changes  but aren't immediately redundant if /when you do progress to a new amp or TT

alternatively you might consider incorporating digital streaming (i.e spotify or even just net radio) via one of those small cheap Yamaha units that you run via an app on your phone. just plug it into the amp. will open you up to exploring new artist, types of music etc. 

• Like 2

If you were to upgrade the receiver, considering getting an external tuner - there are lots available second hand (look at the classifieds here) that are quite cheap.  This will give you more options for an amp, and your money will go further.

Also, consider waiting a while until your budget gets bigger.  I think of sound equipment as an investment - get something good, and it should last you decades, rather than compromising and being disappointed and getting on the upgrade cycle again.  Also, some excellent amps appear in the classifieds here.

• Like 1

I would suggest purifi amp. This has been very impressive and I was blown away by how clean it is and much more detailed.

https://www.marchaudio.net.au/product-page/p452-stereo-power-amplifier.

However, seeing your budget is limited, another suggestion is hypex ncore 252 amp (https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-amplifier/audiophonics-mpa-s250nc-xlr-class-d-stereo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14185.html)

Amp section in AVR receivers aren't really that great and even at moderate sound level it sounds horrible. Forget about going reference level.

I would focus on a quality decent power amp to start with and add streamer, preamp, dac, etc as you go.

One of this yamaha preamp streamer and above power amps would make a decent setup.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/330360-sold-yamaha-wireless-streaming-pre-amp-wxc-50/?tab=comments#comment-4660687 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, :) Go Away (: said:

One of this yamaha preamp streamer and above power amps would make a decent setup.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/330360-sold-yamaha-wireless-streaming-pre-amp-wxc-50/?tab=comments#comment-4660687 

i'm temporarily running such a combo in my living room system, the wxc-50 with a simple class-D amp. very versatile, takes up no room,  really enjoying the grip on the bass, i can see the attraction of a good pre/amp combo or rather the ability to try options till you find a keeper to your tastes

• Like 1