One more better quality subwoofer or 2 (decent quality ones)?

I've been thinking about upgrading my subwoofer im running a  svs sb 1000 at the moment-its a great little sub but im wondering if I  should go for the next model up or buy another of the same-anyone gone the dual subwoofer route and how did it work out?

2 SVS 1000 will be better than 1 SVS 2000.  With more subs, the bass becomes more even in the room.  You can even mix a SVS 1000 & 2000.  Some useful articles on dual sub placement

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blogs/aperion-audio-blog/dual-subwoofer-placement-for-your-home

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.harman.com/documents/multsubs_0.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjDrajl05ftAhUF73MBHTx-AuQQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3B2YCKY-xIXgnx4ZS9jiaJ

Done right, dual subs improve both HT and stereo setups.

• Like 1

also remember room size, open/closed and the space you have allocated for the single larger or 2nd sub. just no good if cant place it in a good position.

the 2nd sub placed behind your seating, guessing first is in standard front location, will add a lot imo.

anyway you do not "have" to get the same sub. just depends how you set them up. the other point is cost of a 2nd sub or cost of changeover to a 2 or 3 level higher single sub.. just comes down to budget.

• Like 1
On 25/11/2020 at 10:22 AM, hopefullguy said:

the 2nd sub placed behind your seating, guessing first is in standard front location, will add a lot imo.

Yes it can add a lot but it can also take away a lot as well.

Not too long ago I calibrated my system which has a front and behind subwoofer with Dirac Live.

Before doing so I did the acoustic time-alignment with REW as per miniDSP documentation and actually ended up with very large dips in frequency response which presumably was a result of cancellations.

So I inverted (180 degrees) the phase of the rear one (also as per miniDSP documentation) and all of those very large dips were gone with only humps which Dirac Live treated with EQ.

So, if you have more than one subwoofer and especially if they are placed far away from each other (like front and behind) then you really can run into bigger issues than if there was just one subwoofer.

But with the right tools and method and perhaps even just by ear you can solve them and get an even better result with two subwoofers than one.

Edited by Satanica

I like multiple subs.

My problem was cancellation from the primary reflection off the back wall (behind the head).  Positioning another sub behind and moving the first, pretty much filled the troughs.  I then lopped the tops off peaks with EQ.

You have to measure, though, to see what you are dealing with.

Edited by aechmea

Two good subs are better than one really good one in most scenarios except gaining low frequency extension at uniform SPL.

As mentioned by others, the obvious benefit is the ability to smooth out the room response - but it takes dedication with SPL meters and test tones, or a calibrated mic + REW or similar.

What's not mentioned preiviously, and not commonly understood, is the reduction of distortion at the same SPL. Or the ability to obtain higher SPL with the current level of distortion. As subs go lower and louder, distortion rises. Adding another sub means for a given SPL, you will lower the volume level on both subs, which results in less distortion from each. 

• Like 1