Vinyl Nation: SBS on Demand

https://vinylnationfilm.com/

https://www.sbs.com.au/movies/movie/vinyl-nation-0

< The vinyl record renaissance over the past decade has brought new fans to a classic format and transformed our idea of a record collector: younger, both male and female, multicultural. This same revival has made buying music more expensive, benefited established bands over independent artists and muddled the question of whether vinyl actually sounds better than other formats. Vinyl Nation digs into the crates of the record resurgence in search of truths set in deep wax: Has the return of vinyl made music fandom more inclusive or divided? What does vinyl say about our past here in the present? How has the second life of vinyl changed how we hear music and how we listen to each other? >

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1817122371572/Vinyl-Nation

available to 22 Dec 2020

• Like 6

Watched it on Sunday night, missed the first 20 minutes thou so will have to watch that. 

pretty good.   It does give a good story into the importance of Record Store Day.

Edit, just watched the first 25 mins.    Links the story better.

Excellent show.

Glad I have stayed strong with vinyl over the years. Much more enjoyable way to live and breathe.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

Well worth watching.

Saddest part was, people who think listening to records on a Crossley suitcase record player is a good thing.

Crosley were clear about their target audience.  Under 22 year olds, mainly girls with limited budget.

Even the guy that worked for Crosley had an Audio Technica table when he was showing his 4 year old daughter spinning vinyl.

I guess Crosley is a good entry point for not a lot more than several records. 

• Like 1

I definitely had concerns with the kid playing Bowie - it looked like the cantilever was trashed.

End result: if hipsters and kids with bugger all money getting crosley turntables, and digitally sourced  Taylor Swift records keeps pressing plants going by providing enough consumer money in LPs - TY!

3 hours ago, Wimbo said:

*** itself.

Wee?

Eat?

Poo?

Die?

Wet?(see 1)

Boo?

Lay?

Moo?

Baa?

See?

Tie?

Fly?

Buy?

Bit?(Deep South, Americanism)

Gap?

Bar? (Don't see 6)

Let?(Do something)

Bet?

The three asterisks are rather cunning as four of them makes it easy and obviously most people would infer that "the ABC can go clap itself" or possibly "the ABC can go love itself" as we all get good value for our 8 cents day don't we!

Positive posts are always encouraged here! Specially when they involve our beloved ABC!

• Like 4

Why do young kids have to listen to olden day music as some form of muscle journey, its sick. The record industry seems to built around old stuff, dont think I saw one single young and emerging band releasing a new lp.

New records use to be at a similar release price and as the years went by the price decreased, till they ended up in the bargain bin, use to be big record fairs where they would try and liquidate old stock. Second hand worth only a few bucks. Then they werent worth anything and people would give you their record collection.

Now its all changed, all about established artist and owning things, why would someone cry about not knowing what will become of their things when they die and there value, who gives a toss. I only buy one or two records a year now and prefer just to buy a cd, never bought cd's in the past, only had a shoe box full until recently.

Think the record industry should get back to supporting young musicians and promoting them so I know what to buy, cause now I dont know any, have to ask my kids.

1 hour ago, Luc said:

Wee?

Eat?

Poo?

Die?

Wet?(see 1)

Boo?

Lay?

Moo?

Baa?

See?

Tie?

Fly?

Buy?

Bit?(Deep South, Americanism)

Gap?

Bar? (Don't see 6)

Let?(Do something)

Bet?

The three asterisks are rather cunning as four of them makes it easy and obviously most people would infer that "the ABC can go clap itself" or possibly "the ABC can go love itself" as we all get good value for our 8 cents day don't we!

Positive posts are always encouraged here! Specially when they involve our beloved ABC!

Your beloved, not mine mate. And the Asterix's were created by the website.

i got about 1/2 way through, I'll probably watch the rest but it was a bit of a jerk-circle especially those getting all gooey but not necessarily because they like dedicated listening to good sounding music. sure they touched on hi-fi side, but I found it ironic that while trying to shift the stereo-types (no pun intended) they kinda re-enforced several