Laptop-Roon-Mojo-Sonos Connect amp

I have been enjoying the benefits of using the Chord Mojo on my active speakers in my main system, circumnavigating the DAC & pre-amp built in to the speakers (AVI DM10).

I also have a pair of passive Mission 753's (classics) in a spare room, which are currently running on a Sonos Connect amp (not the more recent type). It has an RCA pair in and sub out.

My question is, if I use my laptop as a source running Roon, then into the Mojo, RCA out into the Connect Amp, is there a way I can select Mojo as my audio zone and this run the amp? Basically using the amp as an amp and not a Sonos amp.

Obviously I can see the Connect amp as a separate audio zone in Roon, however that just runs at the standard 16bit. I was hoping to try and get some hi-res stuff through to the speakers via the Mojo as I think it will be quite an improvement.

Thanks in advance!

Dan.

Personally I dont think there would be any benefit to this versus selecting the Connect: Amp zone in Roon as the Sonos streaming protocol in Roon supports CD quality anyway. 

Pushing higher resolution out of the Mojo would be futile as the weak link in all this would be the Sonos anyway. However as you have the hardware no harm in trying.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Pushing higher resolution out of the Mojo would be futile as the weak link in all this would be the Sonos anyway.

Thanks Hydrology. I guess that's what I'm trying to work out, if I can't bypass all the downmixing from the Sonos then I might as well just use the Sonos as an audio zone.

However, if I can achieve it, it opens the door to try the DAC and a pre-amp combo when I get my hands on a loaner. As I'll be effectively pushing hi-res from Roon to the Mission's.

3 hours ago, Crabsticks said:

My question is, if I use my laptop as a source running Roon, then into the Mojo, RCA out into the Connect Amp, is there a way I can select Mojo as my audio zone and this run the amp? Basically using the amp as an amp and not a Sonos amp.

The Sonos Connect Amp digitises it's RCA inputs.  

So no matter what DAC you hook up to it (even a Chord DAVE), it will be digitised and then go through the Sonos internal DAC (so you'll always have double D-to-A conversion).

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-amp-line-in-with-hi-res-audio-6837595

Edited by rand129678

26 minutes ago, rand129678 said:

The Sonos Connect Amp digitises it's RCA inputs.  

So no matter what DAC you hook up to it (even a Chord DAVE), it will be digitised and then go through the Sonos internal DAC (so you'll always have double D-to-A conversion).

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-amp-line-in-with-hi-res-audio-6837595

Just as I feared. Thanks for the info. Time to source a power amp!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rand129678 said:

What's the budget !

Well I'm looking at borrowing a Stereo Coffee pre, so I'm really looking for something that's going to make that shine. I am curious about Chris's comments on the Quad 306. Oldie but a very goodie from what I read. And would balance well with the pre-amp.

I'll be honest, I shouldn't even be talking about a purchase yet (hushed whispers...), as we have a house reno on the cards next year. But you know how it is...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Crabsticks said:

Well I'm looking at borrowing a Stereo Coffee pre, so I'm really looking for something that's going to make that shine. I am curious about Chris's comments on the Quad 306. Oldie but a very goodie from what I read. And would balance well with the pre-amp.

I'll be honest, I shouldn't even be talking about a purchase yet (hushed whispers...), as we have a house reno on the cards next year. But you know how it is...

Reason I asked about budget - instead of getting a power amp or preamp to feed your passives, maybe sell the passives and feed Mojo directly into a pair of analogue active speakers, since you already know how that sounds . 

You can get incredible analogue active monitors for under $1500 and even under $1000 brand new. They might even top your AVI DM10s !

Edited by rand129678

3 minutes ago, rand129678 said:

You can get incredible analogue active monitors for under $1500 and even under $1000 brand new. They might even top your AVI DM10s !

Stop it. OK, carry on!

Yes, you're right. @Snoopy8@genkifd @rand129678 all suggested some links/systems earlier on another thread I have running about a future system.

I will have a decent budget next year of up to $10k. I'm very interested in trying the Stereo Coffee pre-amp with a half decent power amp, purely because the Mission's were something I used to stare at in What Hi-fi about 25yrs ago and I want to keep them. They will be kept in the workshop/cave, but I still want to do them justice with decent amplification. I can easily take the laptop and Mojo out there with me when tinkering in the workshop.

• Haha 1