HoloAudio Owners & Discussion Thread

I received my Holo May KTE just before Christmas from Crux Audio. Order placed November 29th and delivered December 23rd. 

Not surprisingly the May is a huge improvement over the NAD.  So far all my listening has been in NOS mode. and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It has the slam I'd previously experienced with Chord's TT2. The drums in Metallica's Nothing Else Matters are like they are being  played in the room in front of me. Bass seems deeper and better defined. 

21 minutes ago, Jpg60 said:

I received my Holo May KTE just before Christmas from Crux Audio. Order placed November 29th and delivered December 23rd. 

Not surprisingly the May is a huge improvement over the NAD.  So far all my listening has been in NOS mode. and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It has the slam I'd previously experienced with Chord's TT2. The drums in Metallica's Nothing Else Matters are like they are being  played in the room in front of me. Bass seems deeper and better defined. 

Hey John,

Great Christmas present!  

Like you I listen to the May exclusively in NOS mode.  And until hearing the May, I had dismissed a lot of my red book CD recordings in my library as pretty ordinary.  I now have a different view.  Not only do many of them sound really good in 44.1K but if you do upsampling with HQPlayer or Roon (keeping the upsampling to a multiple of 44.1 and keeping the May in NOS mode), the May seems to be able to get at even more subtleties from the original recording.  Give it a try... let me know what you think.

cheers, Chris

22 minutes ago, Grizaudio said:

What did SNArs pay for this dac? 

I am not sure if people

are aware that Kitsune is not the exclusive distributor for Holo May. 

People in Singapore buy from  Wildism in HongKong who have been selling May products for a long time and costs about 50% less than what Kitsune quotes. We have no local dealer either. 

5 hours ago, BrownMagic said:

I am not sure if people

People in Singapore buy from  Wildism in HongKong who have been selling May products for a long time and costs about 50% less than what Kitsune quotes. We have no local dealer either. 

Thanks, the website doesn't show any prices:

image.thumb.png.4efeddcc4facb0e49face4c492d9f438.png

7 hours ago, Grizaudio said:

What did SNArs pay for this dac? 

The listed price on the site.

6 hours ago, BrownMagic said:

I am not sure if people

I got my Spring from Wildsim, and can happily recommend them.

When I was shopping for the May, I looked at both Wildsim and Crux. Since Wildsim did not have a Level 3, so I got it one from Crux. If Wildsim had Level 3's, I would've bought it from Wildsim.

29 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

@Grizaudio - You can message him on FB. Very responsive. The rates I got for the May Level 2 is 31500 HKD including shipping to Singapore. That is about 5275 AUD. 

I was quoted a very similar price from Wildsim shipped to Sydney.

Edited by ZGojira

I got mine from Cruxaudio during the Black Friday sales.  It was $300 off the list price so went with that.

With Wildsim do they still offer the 3 years warranty?  I can't see it on their website not that I can read Chinese.  The famous Aussie tax and Aust Consumer law might be involved here on high priced electronics.  Similar to why Apply computers are cheaper in Sg than here.

On 31/12/2020 at 11:40 AM, chris_jl said:

Hey John,

Great Christmas present!  

Like you I listen to the May exclusively in NOS mode.  And until hearing the May, I had dismissed a lot of my red book CD recordings in my library as pretty ordinary.  I now have a different view.  Not only do many of them sound really good in 44.1K but if you do upsampling with HQPlayer or Roon (keeping the upsampling to a multiple of 44.1 and keeping the May in NOS mode), the May seems to be able to get at even more subtleties from the original recording.  Give it a try... let me know what you think.

cheers, Chris

Will do. I used to upsample into the NAD M51. 

As part of connecting the May into my system, I connected my CD player to the May via AES and then tested it by playing a CD. The improvement in sound was so good, I sat there and listened to the whole CD. 

• 1 month later...

I placed the order for MAY Level 2 DAC with Jo @ Wildism Audio HK. He shipped the DAC as soon as my payment cleared - on 27th Jan. I received my DAC .... TODAY. That is 4-5 business days only. Exceptional service. Jo was also replying to my emails within a few minutes - it was like I had the pleasure of talking to him eye-to-eye.

Unbelievable. I sent him an email to thank him. He should truly be proud of his service.

Nick

6 hours ago, Extreme_Boky said:

I placed the order for MAY Level 2 DAC with Jo @ Wildism Audio HK. He shipped the DAC as soon as my payment cleared - on 27th Jan. I received my DAC .... TODAY. That is 4-5 business days only. Exceptional service. Jo was also replying to my emails within a few minutes - it was like I had the pleasure of talking to him eye-to-eye.

Unbelievable. I sent him an email to thank him. He should truly be proud of his service.

Nick

Hi Nick 

Did you pay any import taxes?

58 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

I dont think these are in the same price range as the Holo May. 

Yeah but they are on the same A+ level as those two.

I don’t think price is indicative of the quality , especially as a lot of it also how expensive the case and marketing.

1 hour ago, delphi17 said:

I don’t think price is indicative of the quality

This becomes a subjective comparison. We all like a bargain and the reviewers also hype things about. The May is a very good Dac under 5k. Probably one of the best. We should judge its merits on those parameters. Also ive heard all 3 DACS but never next to each other and not in the same system. From what I can try to sense is that they all sound different. I cant say one is better than the other because it would depend on what you are looking for. Similarly the May is not the best dac under 5k because again it would boil down to what you are looking for and the May surely will not please everyone. Assuming the May has all that you want then at 5k, its much better value. than another dac that offers the same but for a lot more. You be the judge. Cheers 

1 hour ago, Tony B said:

I'm also interested in this Dac L3.

What are the stock levels? Anyone know?

I've msg Crux Audio but no response as yet.

My L3 was considered a custom order which they have to build.  Took about 3 weeks from ordering till I had it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

This becomes a subjective comparison. We all like a bargain and the reviewers also hype things about. The May is a very good Dac under 5k. Probably one of the best. We should judge its merits on those parameters. Also ive heard all 3 DACS but never next to each other and not in the same system. From what I can try to sense is that they all sound different. I cant say one is better than the other because it would depend on what you are looking for. Similarly the May is not the best dac under 5k because again it would boil down to what you are looking for and the May surely will not please everyone. Assuming the May has all that you want then at 5k, its much better value. than another dac that offers the same but for a lot more. You be the judge. Cheers 

One second you say they are different price range and another second you say price don’t matter.

??? No idea what you are trying to say.