HoloAudio Owners & Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, Qwertyqaz said:

There is no such thing as free lunch, you get what you pay for.

If the Ares is that awesome, they are doing something very different that no one can match :) at that price point.

Who said it was that awesome? 

I love mine, a great dac for the money.

6 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

Do the Holo and Debafrips have the same tonal and timbre qualities of the PCM1704 DACs?

Holo doesn't and that is a very important thing.

As much as I like PCM DACs it's a very vintage sound.

The Holo is like a very modern turntable, tonality is very close to my Lampizator.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2017 at 4:50 AM, soundfan said:

The ares impressions seem to be all over the place its hard to keep up. I'd love to hear one in person one day.

As much as i'd love to try a spring dac thats out of my budget atm.

• 1 month later...

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have recently upgraded from a Spring Level 3 (Wildsim) to a May Level 3 KTE.

Prior to the upgrade, I was very satisfied with the Spring  to the point where I was unsatisfied with anything else I tried.  The main DACs that I was comparing with was: Chord Hugo2, Grace Design m920 and the Denafrips Ares. Comparisons was done in my own environment with both speaker and headphone setups.

Now with the May, I vastly prefer the May over the Spring. I could probably still live with the Spring, but will be constantly reminded of what I'm missing out on.

With both DACS I was using I2S from a Singxer SU-1 (with LPS) with a Mutec MC-3+ USB as a clock. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the Holo May Level 2  in my system now for the last six months or so.  

It is the first DAC that I have owned that I am really happy with and the first DAC that comes close to the very best vinyl recordings.  (Happy to share my vinyl setup, if that is of help).

I have experimented with plenty of DACs over the years (most recently the Chord Hugo TT2) and still have two ESS Sabre based DACs in my system.  They all might measure spectacularly well, but I can't fall in love with them.  

The Holo May is a different matter and presents music that puts a smile on your face.  My listening tastes are predominantly classical and jazz - with some rock.  The Holo May excels with solo piano, large orchestral works (where it reproduces massed violins better than any other DAC I have heard) and small ensembles (jazz or chamber).

I realise this is a very subjective view, but if you similar musical tastes to me, I think you will absolutely enjoy the Holo May.

cheers,

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for both of your comments. Pertinent as I have also spent time listening to the Hugo 2, comparing it to my Resonessence Mirus pro. which I preferred for it's slightly more organic sound in the treble region, while not forgoing any of the Hugo's scalpel like detail.

Prior to the mirus pro I had the non pro version so have now spent a number of years galvanised to the ESS Sabre's version of how music should sound. ( 90% Funk, Soul, Jazz, World Fusion, House, 10% everything else).

Pressing my ESLs back into service I would like to try something that may have a slightly more relaxed ,velvety presentation to counterbalance a very edgy, analytical system now in play. All reading leads me to the Holo May as a possible contender. We don't always get an opportunity to audition equipment in our own system and I'm guessing many major purchases after all distilled research have been made on gut feelings. 

On 15/12/2020 at 1:37 PM, chris_jl said:

My listening tastes are predominantly classical and jazz - with some rock. 

How does the May do on fast rock? Like say fast drumming? My friend who had the spring was not very happy with how the spring handled complex fast heavy metal tracks with too much going on. 

Also between the May and Spring, which is more laid back?  Thanks Chris 

The May handles complex tracks better than the Spring, in that the May is able to present more layers simultaneously in a uniform manner.

In terms of being laid back, neither DACs are the aggressive type. To me, they put everything out there but nothing is particularly emphasized. I think this characteristic can be changed with the used of oversampling filters using software like HQplayer.

May I ask what DAC your friend compared the Spring to, and if possible what source/inputs he used?

On 21/12/2020 at 12:46 AM, BrownMagic said:

How does the May do on fast rock? Like say fast drumming? My friend who had the spring was not very happy with how the spring handled complex fast heavy metal tracks with too much going on. 

These are two questions I can't really answer. Heavy metal is one genre that I don't listen to that much.  For classic rock, however, and any other music with complex rhythm and attack, the May is exceptionally clean. 

And the second question I can't really answer either because I have not compared it to the Spring.

On 20/12/2020 at 9:46 PM, BrownMagic said:

I got my Holo May KTE on Xmas eve.  I tried out some heavy metal tracks from Van Halen and Led Zeppelin.  Both sound superb and accurate.  
For instance with Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick with the fast drums.  The soundstage is great and the drums beats are clear, fast and perfectly placed.  No issues from me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, madfonzy said:

Running a RPi4 with RoipeeXL usb to the Holo May.  Nothing fancy at all!
Roon core on my NAS connected by the Ethernet cable which is under the house in the cellar/dungeon.

In my opinion this is as good as any. I know a lot will disagree.

Congrats on your purchase.

On 29/12/2020 at 1:45 AM, madfonzy said:

Running a RPi4 with RoipeeXL usb to the Holo May.  Nothing fancy at all!
Roon core on my NAS connected by the Ethernet cable which is under the house in the cellar/dungeon.

The RPI4 is a great source, especially paired with a solid DAC (Good USB implementation). 

I did notice a good improvement powering it using an ifi power x supply. 

Without using audiophile clichés, it was better and worth the investment for me.

I have conversed with a few users who have compared the RPI4 (USB) to decent "highend" streamers sources such as the Lumin Mini U1, SOTM ultra, Allo USB signature etc. They stated they could not hear a difference. 

Yet you have others, who state the differences are night and day. Feedback seems highly variable.

For me personally, I sold my $2500 Pioneer N70a in favour of the RPI4. 

The May looks, measures and by all reviews seems to sound amazing. 

Too bad its so pricey. 

Edited by Grizaudio
  • Like 1