Banana Plugs and 10 AWG Speaker Wire

Thank you everyone for your help. 

As I mentioned before I came across @NB Speaker Cables online (they came up when I searched for "sawtooth banana plugs") and I ordered their krix banana plugs and their 11awg "super hero/super villain" speaker wire. I'll try fashioning a few cables. ?

https://www.nbspeakercables.com.au/collections/parts

But please, continue to talk amongst yourself you like! It's great to see you many solid recommendations. I agonised over a solution on Amazon. I abandoned that after receiving so many great recommendations.

I'm happy that I found a unique, well priced, well reviewed Australian manufacturer that uses Australian made speaker wire for their cables. 

Best, 
Dameon

• Love 1

I used Nakamichi bananas for my 10 AWG cables. They’re pretty cheap on eBay. Two screws on opposite sides give good tight contact. The banana’s fit tightly into my B&W speakers and amp.

On 23/11/2020 at 1:33 PM, Antipodean Brad said:

I also recommend QED banana plugs as per this link to an old Stereonet ad., and the Viablue ones which look similar.  https://viablue.de/com/connectors_ts_banana_lamella.php   I can't say if they will suit your cable size , though.

I like these! Thank you!

1 hour ago, andyr said:

But they are the same concept - 4 'springy' splines - which I thought you had ruled out, bcoz they come loose?

Andy

You've mistaken these which have, I think, 9 lamellae, and are quite strong, with the pathetic ones which have 4 weak lamellae.  The QED and Viablue type will only come loose if you keep removing and replacing them over a long period, and even then they probably won't give up.

Hi,

I run 10AWG speaker wire, probably overkill, but I got a great deal on some Shielded Twisted Pair Silver Plated 37-strand wire from the US and ran with it. BIG step up in SQ.

I initially tried "silver Nakamichi banana plugs from eBay and they did a pretty good job, and seem well made, but they didn't stay firmly in place on the terminals at the back of my power amp at the time, so I looked elsewhere.

I found these on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-pk-2-pair-Silver-Plated-Locking-Speaker-Cable-Banana-Plugs-RoHS-Compliant/362440232598?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and I have been VERY impressed with the build/sound quality. No complaints at all.

WBT style plugs at considerably less cost than originals. 

Regards,

Peter

782465487_Bananaplugs.thumb.jpg.525af5f49629a073ff1e2577e13b712d.jpg

Edited by PeterB7858
Added photo

• 2 years later...

Replaced some old damaged ETI plugs with silver plated multi contacts, and repurposed the barrels of the old connectors to add strength at the connection point.

IMG_20220227_210523.jpg.b5df7b2b1b7ea73edec4ce85e12461fe.jpg

• 1 month later...

I find the standard Nakamichi plugs off eBay very satisfactory, with 2 grub screws. I'm using 12 AWG speaker wire (but measures at 2.3mm or 11 AWG so might be the latter, bought ages ago from Jayco). This fits nicely in the Nakamichis and the grub screw make a good solid connection. Very happy.

Edited by DonGreen
Typos