Banana Plugs and 10 AWG Speaker Wire

I don't know if it's just bad luck but my first experience with banana plugs is not going well at all. I just ordered some mono blocks and I paid extra ($70USD) for 10 AWG Cable with locking banana plugs. The plugs do not expand enough to "lock" into the terminal. I told the manufacturer and he told me that they were standard banana plugs and no one else has had this problem. Yay me. 

So I went to Jaycar to buy locking banana plugs and they looked alright enough. After i got  them home I found that most were missing at least 1 of the screws that tightens on the wire or that those little screws would not bite the thread at all, preventing the wire from going in at all. 

Add to that I am having trouble finding 10 AWG speaker cable.. 

I need to find working 10 AWG Speaker Wire Locking Banana Plugs that will receive 10 AWG cable. Or just finished cables and be done with it. 

Why the need for 10awg cable?

Are the amplifier/s very high current types and speakers a difficult load? Can help if you let us know what all the pieces are, speakers, amps at least :)

I found the jaycar locking bananas abysmal.

Oh, and welcome, Dameon.

• Like 1

Sad you seem to have been ripped off, @dameonjamie.

I agree with Ian - no way do you need 10awg cables (even if they were 5m long).

And next time you buy stuff with grub screws (anywhere - not just Jaycar!) - check that the screws are in place.  :(

Springy, cylindrical banana plugs like those in the attached pic fit better into a banana socket than the ones which have expanding splines, like you seem to have bought.

Andy

Multi Contact LS4 BP.jpg

• Like 3

I like those too, Andy. :thumb:

Have a tight fit and you have a lot of surface contact, but at the same time a low mass and they are a copper alloy instead of brass.

2 hours ago, muon* said:

Are the amplifier/s very high current types and speakers a difficult load? Can help if you let us know what all the pieces are, speakers, amps at least :)

Thanks for your reply. I have a Pecan Pi Streamer from Orchard Audio connecting to 2x Starkrimson Mono Block Amplifiers and those connect to a pair of KEF LS50 Black Edition speakers. Speakers are within 1 meter of the system. I use it exclusively with Roon with lossless files and lossless audio streams from Qobuz.

I have a 2nd Pecan Pi Streamer in the living room that is part of a Onkyo Tx-SR313 5.1 system. I still have eh original speaker wire on those that came with the kit. I want to get the most I can out of that system. The Main Speakers are within 3 meters each of the system. 

I was going for 10 AWG cable because that that is what the creator of the Orchard Audio products recommends. I have also read they are best for signal transmission and device efficiency. 

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Springy, cylindrical banana plugs like those in the attached pic fit better into a banana socket than the ones which have expanding splines, like you seem to have bought.

Thanks andy. I haven't seen those yet. Mind telling me the type of banana plug that is, the brand and where I can get them? 

14awg would be fine.

Bigger is not always better when looking at signal transfer, only need a gauge large enough to pass the current that can be used by the speakers.

So, yeah...wight or wrong I disagree with that amp maker. *shrug*

11 minutes ago, dameonjamie said:

Thanks andy. I haven't seen those yet. Mind telling me the type of banana plug that is, the brand and where I can get them? 

rs components

• Like 1

RS have them and they come with plastic casings that can be used or discarded and you can use some adhesive shrink over the ends instead.

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/banana-plugs-connectors/0531453/

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/banana-plugs-connectors/0531453/

They will need to be soldered.

There are silver plated ones for not too much from here also https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/banana-plugs/elecaudio-ba-30s-banana-plug-beryllium-copper-silver-plated-set-x4-p-7725.html

They also have Mundorf gilded copper alloy type.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/banana-plugs/mundorf-beryllium-copper-bare-banana-plug-pair-p-1823.html

Edit: I have heard of people crimping them, but never tried that myself. I would always solder!

Maybe they were referring to crimping the fold, that is designed for this after the wire is passed through the bottom and out just above that outer fold. I'm not sure.

mundorf-beryllium-copper-bare-banana-plug-pair.jpg.8057c66f33dcac1e8bf9e9a2b86e35c3.jpg

I would always solder them, and not rely on just a crimp.

Some talk about these type of connectors in this DIY cable article here https://6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html

Edited by muon*

If you wanted professionally made ones using this type of connector and a quality cable like Duelund Tin Plated Copper, Geoff at Aurealis Audio could do it and also tell you what gauge is suitable for your amplification and speakers. https://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/

That Duelund cable has a natural tone and good dynamics.

Edit: he can also likely sell you the cable and connectors for you to DIY.

Edited by muon*
51 minutes ago, dameonjamie said:

As ray posted - RS components sell those particular ones.  However, they are only good for soldering to the spkr wire.

I have seen pics on other SNA posts which show some screw-connect versions - but I don't know what make these are.  :(

44 minutes ago, dameonjamie said:

I was about to abandon locking Banana plugs altogether and go for these Deadbolt Banana plugs from Sewell

They have nothing good going for them ... except they're cheap.  xD

Andy

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your help. 

I came across @NB Speaker Cables online and ordered their krix banana plugs and their 11awg "super hero/super villain" speaker wire. I'll try fashioning a few cables. 😉

https://www.nbspeakercables.com.au/collections/parts

Best, 
Dameon

• Love 1
On 21/11/2020 at 7:51 PM, dameonjamie said:

I don't know if it's just bad luck but my first experience with banana plugs is not going well at all. I just ordered some mono blocks and I paid extra ($70USD) for 10 AWG Cable with locking banana plugs. The plugs do not expand enough to "lock" into the terminal. I told the manufacturer and he told me that they were standard banana plugs and no one else has had this problem. Yay me. 

So I went to Jaycar to buy locking banana plugs and they looked alright enough. After i got  them home I found that most were missing at least 1 of the screws that tightens on the wire or that those little screws would not bite the thread at all, preventing the wire from going in at all. 

Add to that I am having trouble finding 10 AWG speaker cable.. 

I need to find working 10 AWG Speaker Wire Locking Banana Plugs that will receive 10 AWG cable. Or just finished cables and be done with it. 

Try these type of plugs

I had the non Deltron versions off eBay and they were very good to use. I use mine with a very large gauge cable. I've found that large gauge  is good for Class D amp and made a difference in bass. Stick to your 10AWG cable. 

20 hours ago, dameonjamie said:

Thanks for that. And for Banana plugs? I was about to abandon locking Banana plugs altogether and go for these Deadbolt Banana plugs from Sewell

I've used those type of springy plugs before and they loose their spring after a few years.

42246027.jpg

• Like 1

Dameon,  which banana plugs did you originally buy?  Got a picture to show?

Also, I agree with misternavi.  I'd steer clear of those Deadbolt ones from Sewell.  The ones with the four bent pieces of metal (springs?)are probably as good as similar ones I've seen - which is pretty poor.  I have never seen one where the springs hold tightly, and they lose whatever holding power they may have had originally. 

I also like the principle of the ones he pictured.

I also recommend QED banana plugs as per this link to an old Stereonet ad., and the Viablue ones which look similar.  https://viablue.de/com/connectors_ts_banana_lamella.php   I can't say if they will suit your cable size , though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, misternavi said:

I've used those type of springy plugs before and they loose their spring after a few years.

We've had 2 different types of 'springy' banana plugs mentioned on this thread mn - I'm interested to know which ones you are referring to:

1. the cylindrical Multi-Contact ones sold by RS Components (and others)?
  2. or the ones - like those linked to by dameonjamie ( https://www.amazon.com.au/Sewell-Direct-SW-29863-12-Deadbolt-12-Pair/dp/B006U3O566/ ) - which have 4 springy splines which stick out from the central barrel and make contact with the sides of the socket?

Andy

9 minutes ago, andyr said:

We've had 2 different types of 'springy' banana plugs mentioned on this thread mn - I'm interested to know which ones you are referring to:

1. the cylindrical Multi-Contact ones sold by RS Components (and others)?
  2. or the ones - like those linked to by dameonjamie ( https://www.amazon.com.au/Sewell-Direct-SW-29863-12-Deadbolt-12-Pair/dp/B006U3O566/ ) - which have 4 springy splines which stick out from the central barrel and make contact with the sides of the socket?

Andy

No.2  I had the Neotech ones with 4 springy bits and they became loose in the binding post.

The multi contact ones are fine. The ONLY time I had a problem with those was a pure silver version . As you know silver is soft and they bent pretty quickly.

Just read this with some interest. I use the locking plugs that came with my cables and have no issues, i had the cable soldered into the plug...you plug into the binding post and screw them up and the end expands and locks them in place.  I find them fine, of course OMMV.

Locking banana plugs

.....Found these with a quick search for sawtooth style.  Not sure if any good though?  I rund very basic banana plugs with a screw mechanism for my HT cables, I might give these sawtooth options below a go ....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32945108656.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.706347d2Ypixax&algo_pvid=e13b3ece-d95c-499e-81e4-43c12187cedd&algo_expid=e13b3ece-d95c-499e-81e4-43c12187cedd-10&btsid=2100bdd816060316354823386ef458&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 1

can't go wrong with the multi contact banana plugs from rs components,these are just some that i made up,they do have to be soldered ,but fit nice and snug.

banana plugs 001.JPG

banana plugs 003.JPG

banana plugs 004.JPG

• Like 3

No.2  I had the Neotech ones with 4 springy bits and they became loose in the binding post.

Aah, agreed, mn.

The multi contact ones are fine. The ONLY time I had a problem with those was a pure silver version . As you know silver is soft and they bent pretty quickly.

I've been using Multi-Contact BPs for 20 years and never had a problem with them.  BTW, the MC ones are gold-plated beryllium copper ... hence their springy-ness; the silver ones you bought are obviously a Chinese copy (attempting to go "up market" with silver! xD )

Andy

• Like 1

Yeah, never heard of solid silver ones, plated yes.

I have always used the Multi's when making cables, this is one of two pairs i made using them and the Duelund Tin Plated cable.

20170807_004627.jpg.c6fe1b7e6f215be04439b26b613a4968.jpg20170807_121744.jpg.dc9be92852a6d8e99ee46f51408134d9.jpg

20 hours ago, misternavi said:

Try these type of plugs

I had the non Deltron versions off eBay and they were very good to use. I use mine with a very large gauge cable. I've found that large gauge  is good for Class D amp and made a difference in bass. Stick to your 10AWG cable. 

42246027.jpg

I rather like these types of plugs. Less delicate than the sawtooth variety  :)

16 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I rather like these types of plugs. Less delicate than the sawtooth variety  :)

Yes, very sturdy..... but I have squashed one.

I use 'O' rings crimped now. they don't slide off if I don't over tighten the binding post lug, I don't need to solder , contact area is very good  and it's the only thing that fits my 25mm sq. cable.

crimp connection is so strong I could hand off it. 

IMG_6692.JPG

Thank you everyone for your help. 

As I mentioned before I came across @NB Speaker Cables online (they came up when I searched for "sawtooth banana plugs") and I ordered their krix banana plugs and their 11awg "super hero/super villain" speaker wire. I'll try fashioning a few cables. 😉

https://www.nbspeakercables.com.au/collections/parts

But please, continue to talk amongst yourself you like! It's great to see you many solid recommendations. I agonised over a solution on Amazon. I abandoned that after receiving so many great recommendations.

I'm happy that I found a unique, well priced, well reviewed Australian manufacturer that uses Australian made speaker wire for their cables. 

Best, 
Dameon

• Love 1

I used Nakamichi bananas for my 10 AWG cables. They’re pretty cheap on eBay. Two screws on opposite sides give good tight contact. The banana’s fit tightly into my B&W speakers and amp.

On 23/11/2020 at 1:33 PM, Antipodean Brad said:

I also recommend QED banana plugs as per this link to an old Stereonet ad., and the Viablue ones which look similar.  https://viablue.de/com/connectors_ts_banana_lamella.php   I can't say if they will suit your cable size , though.

I like these! Thank you!

2 hours ago, dameonjamie said:

I like these! Thank you!

But they are the same concept - 4 'springy' splines - which I thought you had ruled out, bcoz they come loose?

Andy

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

But they are the same concept - 4 'springy' splines - which I thought you had ruled out, bcoz they come loose?

Never said that at all. I have no experience with these. 

8 minutes ago, dameonjamie said:

Never said that at all. I have no experience with these. 

Aah, sorry - must've been another poster.  :(

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Andy

You've mistaken these which have, I think, 9 lamellae, and are quite strong, with the pathetic ones which have 4 weak lamellae.  The QED and Viablue type will only come loose if you keep removing and replacing them over a long period, and even then they probably won't give up.

Hi,

I run 10AWG speaker wire, probably overkill, but I got a great deal on some Shielded Twisted Pair Silver Plated 37-strand wire from the US and ran with it. BIG step up in SQ.

I initially tried "silver Nakamichi banana plugs from eBay and they did a pretty good job, and seem well made, but they didn't stay firmly in place on the terminals at the back of my power amp at the time, so I looked elsewhere.

I found these on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-pk-2-pair-Silver-Plated-Locking-Speaker-Cable-Banana-Plugs-RoHS-Compliant/362440232598?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and I have been VERY impressed with the build/sound quality. No complaints at all.

WBT style plugs at considerably less cost than originals. 

Regards,

Peter

782465487_Bananaplugs.thumb.jpg.525af5f49629a073ff1e2577e13b712d.jpg

Edited by PeterB7858
Added photo