vale Big Nik from Audiophile

Big Nik has left us and gone to join the SET Gods.   He passed away early this morning.

Condolences to his wife and two lads.

I loved going into his shop in Brunswick St all those years ago.  It was always full of great sounding gear.

Early Cary, VPI and Tannoys of course!  Nik was the one responsible for getting my audio feet firmly planted into single ended triodes and WE300Bs.

He always had interesting records and CDs to browse.  I spent many hours in there, with him always playing the smart arse - but he was usually right...

Many thanks for the memories Nikolai.

Edited by Red MacKay
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Love 4

If it's the same Nik I recall (originally from Slovenia), he was someone who was always up for a chat. I bought quite a few things from him some 15 years ago. I flew his two sons in separate glider flights from Bacchus Marsh in early 2006 and he was clearly a devoted father.

I liked the man and I'm sorry to read of his passing.

• Like 2

just read on another post;

gil matthews  from aztec music

said 

if it wasnt for nic

aztec music would not be here today 

he went onto saying 

nic gave him the use of a 3rd floor of a building to run his business 

he also paid the electic ect !!! 

so free everything for over 3 years

bit of a legend

• Like 5

Very sad to hear of NICs passing -loved going into his shop. Recall him playing Mississippi John Hurt through Almarro tube amp and his big Amber speakers.  Sounded like a decent version of hi fi heaven to me!

Very welcoming and generous hearted. Am still using his heavy duty speaker cable.

Slan go foill big Nic!

Edited by green 'n red
Misspelling
  • Like 3

An absolute legend of a man.  Nic was a true individual with a wicked sense of humour and a great intellect. Audiophile was a Melbourne institution.

I liked him more every time I met him. I will never forget the hospitality he showed my wife and I in my last encounter, what a great fun filled afternoon we spent talking all things political and musical upstairs at the shop. His treatment of my wife as an equal in musical appreciation spoke volumes to me.

Time to break out those mighty Cary 805s @Red MacKay that Nik so generously pointed my direction and play a song for the big man.  This news truly saddens me.

• Like 5

Sad news indeed. Like others, I also made many visits to the Brunswick hi fi emporium, and it was always difficult to get away ,not only from the equipment, but from Nik's entertaining discussions.

I also remember his wife being a very pleasant lady.

Condolences to his family.

Dennis

• Like 4

Sad news indeed, would drop in their occasionally back in the 90's and 00's.

Would be up for a chat and peruse over his Teac VRDS cd players  etc, (Not the garden Kmart variety) of the time, all premium Japanese gear. His Amber components and Counterpoint speakers. 

Remember buying Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run on the Sony "Super bit mapping" edition in the hardcover booklet type format.  Last time there bought my Grado headphones. 

• Like 3

This is utterly awful news. It fills me with sorrow. Nik was kind, generous, patient, passionate about his work and a genuine music lover first and foremost before being a hifi retailer. His favourite guitarist was Chris Spedding and he rated the Penguin Cafe Orchestra's Simon Jeffes as the most talented musician he had ever seen. Those are views you'd get only if you really knew your music. Another aspect of Nik is he didn't have time for time-wasters, so more than a few tyre-kickers found themselves unwelcome at Audiophile. But if you were genuinely naive and willing to listen he was the best mentor. I was that naive listener and Nik's passing leaves a big affectionate funny generous kind caring Nik-shaped hole. As was truly said above, a legend of a man. He leaves the world a better but lesser place.  Condolences to family from both my wife and I. Thank you Nik for 15 years of your generous spirit freely given.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Very sad to hear this.

Spent many hours talking with Nik over the years, a very generous soul. As a young audiophile in my late teens and early twenties he was one of the few store owners who never looked down at me and had all time in the world to talk music and audio. Many years later (2000) i purchased a pair of Tannoy Westminsters from him and he allowed me to pay them off over a period of time. One time in the shop i was checking out a pair of Quad ESL 63 he had just finished restoring and he asked me if I'd ever heard them, nope i replied, so Nik insisted on me loaning them for a month or two, we packed them up and put them in the back of my wagon that day.

I also remember hanging out upstairs (above shop) and marveling at his amazing record collection. I noticed a very rare 3 Box set of Frank Zappa LP's. and we chatted about our love for Zappa. Soon after, as i was leaving he came downstairs with the box sets in his arms and insisted that i have them for free as i was "obviously " a bigger fan than he was.  I distinctly remember being overwhelmed emotionally by his kindness. Nik gave me a quick pat on the back and said "i know you will enjoy them more than me Rob"

RIP Nik.

Edited by rob
spelling
  • Like 13

Very sad news indeed. Had many lively and fun discussions with him! I used to bring in latest issues of Sound Practices and horn designs for him to peruse. He always had time to demo his latest offerings.

I was even invited upstairs, late 90's from memory to hear a pair of mbl omni - directionals ($45k)

http://www.mbl.de/?lang=en

RIP Nik

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sad sad news indeed. I showed interest at the shop one day in the amber se/12s, only could’nt afford them. 
he said, “you can have them for $3800 right now”!  Less than half price! 
I got them and have enjoyed these amazing speakers daily for years now, and occasionally we would have a great phone chat. 
such an amazingly generous and knowledgeable man and such fun to talk to.

So sad to hear this news. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Vale Nik.

Heard the news last night. Such a generous person. He opened my eyes and ears to some amazing gear and gave me some amazing deals on Cary, VPI and so on. Spent many hours just talking. Years later when I brought my kids to the shop he immediately gave them records.

Will be sorely missed

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...
Guest GoingForward

Just found out about Nik's passing. Like many spent a lot of time at Nik's shop & his home talking, listening to Tannoys and Almarro amps. He was a very influential mentor to me in the world of sound.

He will be missed.