Do you ever purposely listen to LoFi?

Sometimes I do, just for nostalgia, and it then reminds me, some of these old devices didn't actually sound too bad. For example today I have been stacking 45s and enjoying the 50s and 60s music on them using something quite LoFi by today's standards.

This is an old Grundig Trento Stereo console radiogram.   Needs some fixing - I am working on it.  It is working well enough to play stacks of 45s at the moment with a fairly good sound (think old jukebox sound).   This is one of the later valve consoles.  It has a push-pull stereo valve power amp.

I just found a diagram that might enable me to re-string the dial cord of the radio (quite a complex setup) so that's the next fix.  Also, the auto-recordchanger  needs some attention to old grease.

IMG_20201120_174540.jpg.a2f65a813fe6aaba32ac0ccf839df6a2.jpg

IMG_20201120_174432.jpg.2cfa30adb85bd0565f808eaee7c733fb.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Andrews_melb said:

I listen to a lot of old blues artists  represses of 30s and 40s music. None of that was recorded very well. Sounds great to me though

Me too.  I even play some of it on original 78s.  I have more swing and big band than blues though.

28 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I notice everyone is talking about the media, but it is even better played on the typical equipment of the day.   

Unless it's for nostalgia reason I can't see why that would be good. I do use mono cartridge for mono source but all with 80s turntable and modern electronic.

I always have some random old records that I don't know that I try out to see if it's a hidden gem but that's the purpose of it to find something good.

Edited by mloutfie

I listen to lo-fi sources when I've got no alternative - such as historic recordings, poor quality records when i can't get better, etc.  (as discussed above).

I listen to lo-fi hardware when I have no alternative, such as the car audio that has bass boom (even when turned down low), the stereo in the office, etc. 

I listen to low fi all the time.  iPod and cheap AT headphones at work everyday to lessen the mind destroying monotony of my job.  I often get just as involved in the music as I do with a decent hi fi. Sometimes I find it quite emotional as well.  Musical enjoyment is as much a state of mind as a response to incredible reproduction.

• Like 1

Guest Old Man Rubber

Not quite as beautiful as the gramophone, but a Pioneer SK-550 boombox in my workshop.  It actually sounds fine (has line-in as well as an option to hook up a turntable!).  Generally plugged into a phone or with the good old FM radio popping out of it.

20201126_132304.jpg