VRC Revive! and Restore!

Having inadvertently trashed some records using the Officeworks gum method of cleaning, I thought I would try out a branded recorded cleaning glue.  Revirginizer is hard to get hold of online (or in Canberra) so I ended up with a bottle each of Revive! and Restore! from https://vinylrecordcleaningsystem.com.au/

I'm happy to say I've experienced good results with both.  I was surprised that the recommended amount of fluid per side is only 5-6mls, which is tiny compared to the amount of gum I was smearing on (maybe that was why it went wrong).  The Revive! says it is meant to be for records that you've owned and not played in a while.  Where as Restore! is more of a deep clean (and mold removal) for records that have just joined your collection.

I don't have any way of doing a side by side comparison, but both seemed to do the job.  The Restore! however did seem to leave a visible residue after being peeled off.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, audiofeline said:

What went wrong with the Officeworks gum method of cleaning? 

(I've not tried any peel-cleans).

My fat fingers and impatience mostly.  A couple of times I damaged the playing surface when trying to remove 'blobs' of gum that hadn't peeled off properly.  The VRC stuff dries more to a consistency of the goo that they used to stick things to the covers of magazines (and the manufacturer also recommends a strip of sticky tape to clean up and blobs).

Also, just remembered the other issue I had with the Officeworks gum was static electricity - as soon as I peeled the record would attract every bit of dust in the room.   That doesn't so far seem to be a problem with the bought stuff.

I read that re-applying the glue and re-peeling is a good way to get bits that don't lift up.  I hope your glue experiments weren't on valuable records.  Always best to use materials designed for the specific job, so it's good to know that Revive! and Restore! do the jobs they are designed to do safely. 

• Love 1