Whatmough 303 help please

Hi, I recently acquired a set of Whatmough 303's.  Good condition, sound nice however there has been some modification of the crossover that the previous owner identified and I'd like to bring back to how Colin designed them.  Kee is looking to see what she can find out for me.  In the meantime, is there anyone out there who might be so kind to send me an image of their original 303 crossover and perhaps identify some missing parts on mine.  The red circle in the attached image of mine looks like somethings are missing.  There is a broken white zip tie and the blue circles indicate items that may have been glued on?  Seems an easy enough restore if I knew the missing items.  (the green is a wood screw.. I'm sure that wasn't meant to be there... ? )  Thanks in advance...

circled crossover.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul

The In-Laws arrived early and have just left. Now I can try and help.

I have removed the six screws holding the crossover unit on the back of my 303 but the cover is not coming off. Do I have to also remove the speaker wire binding posts as well as the crossover wire “out nut”. I am not good at these things and don’t want to break anything.

cheers 

Anthony

So good good to hear from you Anthony and really appreciate your help.  I am a bit of a Whatmough tragic...Colin made some really nice gear..Here’s a photo of mine apart, simple cabinet arrangement, no glue or clips just held in by screws and age.....Persuaded mine to open by firmly pulling on the black cable gland at top.  If it doesn’t open please don’t pry open with a tool, mine will just have to stay the way they are.  Bit unfortunate but is what it is I guess.  Kee has been very helpful however seems any diagrams are lost in time. I’ve replaced the bottom drivers and they sound ok but suspect I am missing some highs.....wonder why crossover was messed with in the first place?Many thanks again regards Paul

image.thumb.jpeg.fe893b71fc4577a0b70c2a47f778be19.jpeg

Kee just got back to me thanks Anthony.... so no need to do any more and for future reference here is her instructions to remove the back......  Will let you know how I go as also sent photos of what it looks like.  take care and regards Paul

This is how you can remove the cover from the external crossover box.

1. Remove 4 screws from the xover using an allen key.
  2. The back of the xover is covered with a piece of black felt.
  3. There is a small screw covered with hot melt right In the middle of the box hidden underneath the Black felt.  You should be able to feel a little bump using your finger.
  4. Cut a little hole on the black felt.  Remove the screw underneath the hot melt and the black felt. 
  5. The 3 yellow Hovland capacitors are all 100V.  There are 2 x 10uF and 1 x 6uF.  They were the original high end Hovland capacitors from the US who is no longer around.  The caps in your xover has the same color but not Hovland.  The black cap is 15uF/250vDC from France.
  6. The 2 resistors are 33R & 1R.
  7. The purple and black twisted cables are for the bass.