Jump to content

Which phono to make home?


Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

If anyone would like to spare a few moments. I’m in need of recommendations for a suitable phono amplifier for my first setup.

 

The only model on my radar at present is the Mani from Schiit. Would this serve my setup well or be under-cooking it?

 

Looking forward to your replies... (if anyone can spare the time!)

 

• Sonique 5.5 SE

(Canare 4S11 - Furutech FT-212s (not bi-wired or bi-amped))

 

• Cambridge Audio 650a

 

• Sony PS-HX 500

(currently using the Sony’s built in phono stage into the Mp3 in on the 650a)

 

• Goldring 2100 (cartridge & stylus)

 

• Funk Firm Achromat

 

9D12C0C6-02D6-4CB0-9BF5-18E8943AC1ED.jpeg

Edited by Panorama
Error
Link to post
Share on other sites

are you considering 2nd hand? 

if you are based in the UK I'd have thought local options from Rega or Graham Slee would be on the table for consideration as they are in comparable class and price to the Mani (and there's likely other UK based and made options to consider also)  

the mani is widely regarded so I think you'll be fine 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, wasabijim said:

are you considering 2nd hand? 

if you are based in the UK I'd have thought local options from Rega or Graham Slee would be on the table for consideration as they are in comparable class and price to the Mani (and there's likely other UK based and made options to consider also)  

the mani is widely regarded so I think you'll be fine 

This is great advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mani is excellent...BUT...  only in MM mode, and if the gain is not higher than 48db.  The MC mode was very ordinary, but i suspect that you're not looking at an MC cart rig yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites


On 25/11/2020 at 5:46 AM, wasabijim said:

are you considering 2nd hand? 

if you are based in the UK I'd have thought local options from Rega or Graham Slee would be on the table for consideration as they are in comparable class and price to the Mani (and there's likely other UK based and made options to consider also)  

the mani is widely regarded so I think you'll be fine 


Hello,

 

Thank you for your time. I am indeed, and have managed to audition a used Music Fidelity LX2-LPS, which I think might be just the ticket!

 

I am looking to try others prior to making a firm decision if I can, but I’m tempted (as I’m happy) to stick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2020 at 3:06 AM, MrBurns84 said:

The Mani is excellent...BUT...  only in MM mode, and if the gain is not higher than 48db.  The MC mode was very ordinary, but i suspect that you're not looking at an MC cart rig yet.


Thank you for your time, and for the valuable info.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Panorama said:


Hello,

 

Thank you for your time. I am indeed, and have managed to audition a used Music Fidelity LX2-LPS, which I think might be just the ticket!

 

I am looking to try others prior to making a firm decision if I can, but I’m tempted (as I’m happy) to stick.

 

yeah go for it

the time spent analysing this or that could be spent happily enjoying the music

often coming to terms and appreciating any subtle differences comes with... listening experience over time (funny enough), and the fact its used means should you desire it can be replace with minimal hit to the back pocket

Link to post
Share on other sites


On 28/11/2020 at 5:25 AM, wasabijim said:

 

yeah go for it

the time spent analysing this or that could be spent happily enjoying the music

often coming to terms and appreciating any subtle differences comes with... listening experience over time (funny enough), and the fact its used means should you desire it can be replace with minimal hit to the back pocket


Agreed. I believe that any AB testing is best carried out over a long period of time. So If I’m not happy in a months time, I will look to try something else. Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/11/2020 at 12:51 AM, expat said:

In the UK, look at the Rega Fono Mini A2D, GBP95 at Sevenoaks. Great MM and stoll have A2D conversion thrown in, just not DSD.


Thank you. I shall do so if this doesn’t work out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...