SOLD: FS: DIY Holton Amplifier 150W RMS into 8Ω/260W RMS into 4Ω

SOLD
Item Condition: Used
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.
Suburb or Town: Maidstone
State: VIC
Payment Method: Cash/Paypal/EFT
Reason for selling: NLR

Further information:

This was the first component when added to my system a couple of years ago gave me a night and day difference that didn't require critical listening. I bought this amp off a fellow member who I believe built it. When I moved to my apartment last year, a wire could have come loose or something and one of the amp modules failed. So I purchased what was the latest modules at the time from Anthony, I believe it was the R4.1 version which was an even bigger upgrade from the originals. 

The work was done by Dallas Clarke of Clarke Audio who gave the amp a full once over and even optimised some of the internal wiring, checking all connections, etc. He installed new feet and even enabled the XLR inputs, so the amp now has both RCA and XLR inputs which can be selected via the switches at the back. The amp has that typical Holton house sound. I would have kept it but I was dead set on getting the matching Modwright power amp for my pre. Is the Modwright better? Marginally, I was actually disappointed because I was hoping for a substantial difference given the price delta, but that wasn't the case. I'm keeping the Modwright more for the aesthetics than the sound improvement. 

So if you've got an integrated that can act as a pre and wondering what a power amp could do for you, you'd be hard pressed to find a more capable amp at this price. It really lit up my Lenehan ML1s. Initial cost of amp plus the new parts plus the labor is 3X the asking price. So if it doesn't sell at this price, I'm more than happy to hang on to it as a back up so offers will not be entertained. Postage isn't possible because I don't have a box and it's pretty damn heavy. Don't let the unassuming looks fool you, this is one hell of an amp.

These were the original specs, I would only assume better performance with the newer amp modules.

150 Watts RMS continuous sine wave into 8 Ω

260 Watts RMS continuous sine wave into 4 Ω

The HPA-nxV200L R4 is 2 Ω Stable

Biased into Class A/B

Frequency Response 3.5hz to 300khz -3dB

Dampening Factor At 100hz 8Ω = 800

RCA Single ended Input impedance 33kΩ

Single Ended Input Gain = 30.6dB

SNR -105dB

THD-N = 0.005% @ 10 watts 8 Ohms

The condition of the amp is very good. Does have a tiny paint chips here and there but nothing that can be noticed or seen from a couple of meters. 

ELECTRICAL DISCLAIMER
This product has not been manufactured by a qualified individual or company, therefore contains electrical circuits that do not necessarily comply with Australian Standards. I understand that as the seller, I may be liable to repercussions in the event of equipment failure. By advertising and selling this product, as the seller I also agree that I am solely liable, and the publisher of this website takes no responsibility for any injury or death resulting from, whether directly or indirectly, any accident that may happen as a result of the failure of the product being sold. If in doubt, seek the services of a qualified electrician to inspect the product to ensure it is safe for use.

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item
  • If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved
  • If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

IMG_20201120_121354.jpg

IMG_20201120_121426.jpg

IMG_20201120_121448.jpg

IMG_20201120_121511.jpg

IMG_20201120_121809.jpg

IMG_20201120_121822.jpg

Edited by Cardiiiii
  • Like 2

I built this amp several years ago to replace a monster OTL tube amp and was not disappointed.

It is a great buy!

I have to confess that I regret selling it and would buy it back but I have just ordered a new monoblock model from Anthony Holton.

It's a rare opportunity so grab it while you can.

Cheers, Rob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davothecavo said:

@Cardiiiii Nice build, I have a soft spot for kit amps having 5 x channels of the Greg Ball's SKA amps.  Just for curiosity sake how big is the traffo, and how much capacitance per channel.

Unfortunately I don't possess the skills to build something like this so I cannot give you that information and I'm not sure if @robmid would remember!