Help me understand Jamo lineup

G'day. I cannot describe you the whole lineup, but here is my 2 cents.

There are some good* Jamos:

- Oriel is superb, but sadly they are kinda unobtanium. I heard one and can't stop weeping ever since. 

- then there are those curved wall towers. 707, 707i, 7.6/D570, 7.7/D590. I have a pair of 707s and 707is. I think they are acceptable for H/T and also music.

- there is a rare, but affordable gem, the Concert VII. Metallic dome, single mid, bandpass woofer. I am constantly on the hunt for a pair.

- in general, the Concert series is well built. The towers I believe are superb.

- I used to have Classic 6-es in my office. Not that bad at all. Surprisingly not. I used it for soft music when burning some midnight oil.

- I have no first hand experience with the more modern lineups.

The good thing is, that they are not regarded too high here in Australia, so you can get them at reasonable prices.

Good luck!

*we know it is subjective.

• Like 2

The S series are the entry level Jamo's. Generally, the higher the the first digit, the better (S807 is better than S650). However, the S series pales in comparison to the C and D series. The C series replaced the D series in the 2000's.

The D range include some of the 'classic' Concert series (i.e. the D590 is also known as the Concert 11 and the D830 is also known as the Concert 8), along with subwoofers, centers, etc.

The C series started being released in the mid 2000s, and includes different grades similar to the S series. For example, the C80 series are stunning speakers in every way, whereas the C60 series, while still much better than the S series, are more competitively priced than the C80 series (but include a lot of the same technology). The current range of the C series are the C10 and C9ii. The C10 replaced the C80 series, and the C9ii replaced the C9, which replaced the C60. I personally have speakers from the C10, C80 and C60 series, and in my opinion the C80 series are the pick.

The E series are kinda similar to the C60 series that replaced them. 

Finally, the R series are their reference speakers, and they demand a lot of cash (someone is selling a set of R909's on here right now for $14k).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stibbzy79 said:

The S series are the entry level Jamo's. Generally, the higher the the first digit, the better (S807 is better than S650). However, the S series pales in comparison to the C and D series. The C series replaced the D series in the 2000's.

The D range include some of the 'classic' Concert series (i.e. the D590 is also known as the Concert 11 and the D830 is also known as the Concert 8), along with subwoofers, centers, etc.

The C series started being released in the mid 2000s, and includes different grades similar to the S series. For example, the C80 series are stunning speakers in every way, whereas the C60 series, while still much better than the S series, are more competitively priced than the C80 series (but include a lot of the same technology). The current range of the C series are the C10 and C9ii. The C10 replaced the C80 series, and the C9ii replaced the C9, which replaced the C60. I personally have speakers from the C10, C80 and C60 series, and in my opinion the C80 series are the pick.

The E series are kinda similar to the C60 series that replaced them. 

Finally, the R series are their reference speakers, and they demand a lot of cash (someone is selling a set of R909's on here right now for $14k).

That's a great writeup. I have searched high and low but couldn't find something like this. Will it be right if I put it like this:

S < D/C < E < R

I'm a bit confused between Ds & Es. I am planning to buy a set & have a couple of ads in my mind.

1. 4xJamo E650s, 6CEN, 6SUB (5.1) - $650

2. 2xJamo D507s, BA VR14, PSBS50 (5.0) - $600

I'm probably not the greatest judge on which specs are better, but for now I'm leaning towards #2.

Your order is a bit off. The E series is not superior to the D/C. E series is roughly equivalent to the C60 series which replaced the E. The C80 series is superior.

In other words, from the mid 2000s, the C80 series were the flagship speaker series, and from 2014 the C10 series is. 

It gets a bit more complicated when you start considering Jamo’s THX D series line the is still sold (like the D500). 

18 hours ago, torrentkid said:

That's a great writeup. I have searched high and low but couldn't find something like this. Will it be right if I put it like this:

S < D/C < E < R

I'm a bit confused between Ds & Es. I am planning to buy a set & have a couple of ads in my mind.

1. 4xJamo E650s, 6CEN, 6SUB (5.1) - $650

2. 2xJamo D507s, BA VR14, PSBS50 (5.0) - $600

I'm probably not the greatest judge on which specs are better, but for now I'm leaning towards #2.

The Jamo 507s are not bad at all. In some ways they are better than the big brother 707. If you choose the 507 for home theatre, I'd definitely recommend adding a subwoofer. I found that the 507 has better crossing over between mids and woofers, while I have always felt a hole between these two with the 707.

Fronts and center should be from the same manufacturer, preferably the same series.

I personally hate sound coming from behind me, so would not comment on surrounds.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a pair of Concert 11 towers.

The build quality was exceptional.

Their sound was beautiful when playing instrumental tracks however they don't do rock well sounding thin and lacking in bass.