Which Optical Cable ?

If you're after an optical toslink cable there are only 2 I would recommend. Either a Lifatec Silflex or Wireworld Supernova 7 borosilicate type. I've tried countless plastic ones and they don't sound the same.

• Like 1

I’ve been researching the same topic for a little while now. I agree with the post above, both of those are excellent and are on the shortlist. If budget isn’t an option consider the DH Labs Glass Master Toslink Optical.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 7:06 PM, david j said:

I have a dh labs and a wireworld supernova   

Both excellent  performers 

Howdy David

would you have a preference between the DH Labs Glass Master and the Wireworld Supanova 7

if not a preference , a sonic difference of opinion

christopher

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, mikey d said:

I'm having trouble finding an Australian source of a decent glass Toslink cable. Any suggestions?

Cannot remember seeing  Australian made Toslink cables from this list?

They all sound the same to me. I would buy one based on the quality of the connector instead of worrying about the potential sound quality of the transfer medium. I doubt there's any Australian company that makes one though.

Just now, Ittaku said:

They all sound the same to me. I would buy one based on the quality of the connector instead of worrying about the potential sound quality of the transfer medium. I doubt there's any Australian company that makes one though.

33 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Cannot remember seeing  Australian made Toslink cables from this list?

Sorry, I don't mean Aussie made, just a retailer / distributor of quality Toslink cables.

As @Ittaku states the connectors are key on all cables regardless of price range. As of last week my Wireworld Supernova 7 toslink cable mentioned above stopped functioning. The red light is still there so there is definitely something wrong with the connectors.

In addition to the Silflex Lifatec and Wireworld Supernova 7 cables, the QED Reference borosilicate optical cable also looks interesting.

Edited by xlr8or

10 years ago when I tried some different optical cables the glass based ones did sounder better than plastic. I ended up with the original metal jacketed Lifatec back then (its a soft 'optisilk' jacket now).

If you are interested in the numbers game here is how many strands.....

QED Reference Optical Quartz Toslink (210 strands borosilicate fiber optic)
DH LABS Glass Master Toslink (300 strands of proprietary glass fibers)
WIREWORLD Supernova 7 Toslink (338 strands borosilicate fiber optic)
LIFATEC Premium Silflex Toslink (470 strands glass fiber optic)

From this it looks like Lifatec is still king of the price v performance ratio like it was back then (but sometimes these numbers-of-strands games don't always result in better sound).

I am not sure if there is there any difference between glass fiber strands and borosilicate fibers. Maybe its the same thing, or maybe boro-silicate is its own thing and different to normal glass strands.

And finally DH LABS claims to be using proprietary glass fibers. Could be true, but we all know the marketing pages of cables companies love to pretend they have proprietary wire/shields/composites when they don't.

The Sys Concepts page claims to have a cable with 1300 strands but its a Toslink-Mini only, no Toslink-Toslink.

Edited by agisthos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, agisthos said:

I am not sure if there is there any difference between glass fiber strands and borosilicate fibers. Maybe its the same thing, or maybe boro-silicate is its own thing and different to normal glass strands.

Borosilicate is a type of glass. It has a lower coefficient of thermal expansion than normal glass.

Test tubes, high end glassware, etc, resistant to cracking with sudden temperature changes. It's also harder than standard soda-lime glass.

So possibly no difference when used as the fibre in a fibre optic cable.

Edited by pwstereo
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I am a big fan of QED reference optical.

for 140 aud on amazon , it is the best value for money digital cable.

I just thought wow when i first listen to it.

it make a BIG improvement in audio.

it beats chords opticord or c-lite significately, which i also own.

haven't compared it to supernova or other highend ones, though

Edited by Hung02

On 14/03/2021 at 3:41 AM, agisthos said:

...And finally DH LABS claims to be using proprietary glass fibers. Could be true, but we all know the marketing pages of cables companies love to pretend they have proprietary wire/shields/composites when they don't...

Yes, but the name they give the cable certainly is proprietary!

Edited by audiofeline