Sign in to follow this  
HiFi-Newbie

Emotiva - UMC-1

Hi all

Well I have gone and joined the family and have purchased the XPA-5 and the UMC-1, just waiting on them to arrive so I can play. I am quite new to separates so may have some questions with setup (especially speakers) once it arrives.

I do have two questions

1) is there any special requirements for the power cord that I need to purchase and if so where from where in good old Adelaide.

2) I may be blind, but how do you connect a set of headphones to the UMC-1, I couldn't see any head phone connection on any of the diagrams and they are important to me.

Thanks for any input

You will a standard computer cord for the power. Dick smiths, BigW, Electronics store etc. IEC Mains Lead

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS4106&keywords=IEC+Mains+Lead&form=KEYWORD

How good are your headphones?

You might want to look at a headphone amp to use with the UMC-1.

Something like these I think.

http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?catID=2

Can get all sorts from ebay as well.

Edited by rocky500

Also consider an Audio-gd NFB-12 as it would give a reasonably good alternative for a headphone amp and DAC for a little over $200....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34247[/ATTACH]

JJ

Is there ever a special need regarding a power cord? I doubt it ...

Perhaps you could share your experiences of the Emotiva units after you've had a chance to spend some time with them. A lot of people are interested in them, the price is very appealing.

They do not supply an Australian Power cord. So to use it you just need to pick up any power cord to suit a computer.

hi HiFi-Newbie and welcome.

how much did the postage cost to Adelaide?

They do not supply an Australian Power cord. So to use it you just need to pick up any power cord to suit a computer.

Ahhhhh I get it now .... doh!

hi HiFi-Newbie and welcome.

how much did the postage cost to Adelaide?

Hi SamC53,

The UMC-1 cost $139 USD for shipping and the XPA-5 cost $262 USD, I am still waiting for them to arrive, so I will have some fun in a few days

Hi SamC53,

The UMC-1 cost $139 USD for shipping and the XPA-5 cost $262 USD, I am still waiting for them to arrive, so I will have some fun in a few days

interesting isnt it, i was asking about variations in shipping costs just recently myself, i had quite some variation in quotes from emotiva within a day or so or even the same day (some much higher than these mentioned), ended up paying about $233 in the same time period as you for slightly heavier units than your XPA-5 [86lbs] (XPA-1 and XPA-2 89lbs)..no biggy, but i bet my bottom lip someone got a better deal than me :-)

as above about the power cords although i was going to (havnt had a chance yet) cut one of theirs apart (no harm done since they are redundant, hence a waste of money) and see what gauge copper they have in them, after that i will consider either rewiring a new plug (needs to certified, which i can do) or getting available kettle/computer cords (will they be enough for high amp XPA_1) ?)..i find it intersting that some sell after market 'upgraded power cords' with heavy gauge copper with the idea it makes everything sound better...i dont buy into that but never the less i am interested to see what gauge these Emotiva use and considering I just happen to be running new power circuits to my amps i am interested to know how much drop in the last couple of feet there is..not much i expect but it is all relevant to each individual no doubt

ifaik, emotiva are very soon preparing for the european market, no doubt they will supply proper cords to them!, (i doubt they will even get approved for that market if they dont). considering these things come from china initially and emotiva obviously wish to sell to whole globe? i really think its a bit slack they dont supply cords for Australia, Emotiva, pull your finger out and get with it i reckon! besides didnt they also sell after market cords at one stage, no matter, they should catch up!!!

I wonder why they don't just ship from China, as it would cut out one lot of handling ....

JJ

I wonder why they don't just ship from China, as it would cut out one lot of handling ....

JJ

i have wondered the same thing as well, i suspect the market they [want to] cater to the most is the US, naturally, so they ship by slow boat from China (in a container most likely-takes about a month or so) which is no doubt cheap, then in the US they get good rates from FedEx, i guess if they shipped straight from china to us here in Oz it would, or should work out cheaper but i doubt that shipping to Oz, or rather making any particular effort to make it cheaper for us, is a priority to them.

also for that to happen they would most likely have to have someone in China they could work with as a distributer, distributing individual items (much like what they are setting up in Europe, maybe holland i think i heard, no doubt they like the big european market and setting up a distributer there helps out the end customer with the huge import taxes they have to pay) that makes it a little more complicated although they must already have contacts and people there they work with...

its all justr guesses on my part but thats how it looks to me

spam reported

Hi SamC53,

Jeez, my XPA-1's and XPA-5 only cost me $201 a piece back in December........I didnt realise inflation was an issue in the U.S.

I'm looking at picking up the XMC-1 whenever it comes out so I guess I should budget higher shipping costs for that.

Sorry it has taken so long folks to report back on the quality of the Emotiva products (UMC-1 & XPA-5).

First, I asked them to split the delivery so that I was under the $1000 mark - no problems, delivery was on time too!!:thumb:

Setting up was at first a little daunting (remember not used to working with separates), but once I read through the manual, (this could have been more informative in some areas eg setting up Tuner for Australian Stations).

The options available are huge especially with the setting up of other equipment to attach to the UMC-1

So to cut a long story short, I have set up the UMC-1 connected to the XPA-5 and equipment such as Panasonic Blue Ray (DMP-BD60), Apple TV with wireless access to the computer (for podcasts, music, and TV shows) a CD player (Technics SL-PD346) and a PVR (Topfield TRF-7160) the TV is a Samsung (UA46B8000XF).

The speaker setup is KRIX Lyrix Gold as LR, KDX-C as Centre and Two Equinox as rears. Which I have had for about 10 years now.

The music is crisp and full, it is like the Lyrix have a new lease of life, I can hear clear sounds coming from the speakers that I haven't really heard before and the bass is fuller, even the missus has remarked on the quality. I am beginning to wonder what the music would sound like with a decent set of 3 ways for the LRC and a sub. Although there are no complaints with the clarity and refinement I am now getting.

CD's are much better and the digital music isn't too far behind, especially with Direct mode.

Movies are clearer and are better with the sound stage and direction of the movie sounds.

We are able to listen to our music at a higher volume without any fatigue.

I am still not sure whether I have everything optimised for the best I can get out of the system, still experimenting, but very happy with the purchases, looking forward to other products from Emotiva

Regards

HiFi-Newbie