Australian Loudspeaker Repairers

Looking for a suggested repairer in Sydney / Sydney North area.

I have sourced a new rubber speaker surround for a Dynaudio woofer and need someone to do the gluing and replacement work.

Appreciate any suggestions...thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just going to try and jump on this: hope OP doesn't mind!

I'm looking for recommendations in Melbourne to repair/upgrade crossovers in a pair of B&W 801 s80 that I recently acquired.

I'm in Brunswick so, generally speaking, north of the Yarra would be preferred (but I can cross if I must!)

10 minutes ago, sleach said:

Just going to try and jump on this: hope OP doesn't mind!

I'm looking for recommendations in Melbourne to repair/upgrade crossovers in a pair of B&W 801 s80 that I recently acquired.

I'm in Brunswick so, generally speaking, north of the Yarra would be preferred (but I can cross if I must!)

Garry Cawsey or Attila Tanka.

I wouldn't take anything to Speaker Hospital.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, foryou said:

can they service vintage lowther ? 

I would imagine so. Thing is, if they can't fix it to factory standards they won't bullshit you and sell you a frankendriver not worth a cent.

• Love 1

@sleach

@foryou

Another option...

While I haven't used his services yet, I have spoken over the phone and corresponded via email...

Boyd at Total Recoil was recommended by @mdorev recently.

I don't know off hand where he is located.

Not sure if xovers are part of his portfolio though...  Wouldn't hurt to give him a call...

03 9484 7777

I'm coming down to Melbourne very soon, I hope, taking some drivers to Boyd for him to assess.

Cheers.

Ant.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kelossus said:

I would imagine so. Thing is, if they can't fix it to factory standards they won't bullshit you and sell you a frankendriver not worth a cent.

Good point , I just hate the repairer who can’t fix your gear and ask you to sale it as parts at eBay ......

13 hours ago, foryou said:

can they service vintage lowther ? 

If more than just renewing the suspension parts is involved then you may find a high degree of reluctance  on the part of speaker repairers to take them on.  The description, vintage Lowther, appears to indicate that the models are the ones with the  rectangular cast  front plate and  chassis components that were screwed together.  Replacement cone assemblies have not been available for the early  models  for a long time and  in many  cases were difficult to  fit accurately. Tolerances changed over the production period and the parchment cones tended to warp in storage . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2020 at 8:30 PM, kelossus said:

Garry Cawsey or Attila Tanka.

I wouldn't take anything to Speaker Hospital.

2nd the speaker hospital warning , I was looking a some pictures of repairs they had performed on the internet and was horrified at the fact they were fitting  something as simple as the wrong suspensions to drivers and to make it worse ones that were meant to be attached from the rear of the cone instead just glued to the front , obviously this will affect voice coil height in the gap and in turn ts parameters ?

On 21/11/2020 at 8:51 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

@sleach

@foryou

Another option...

While I haven't used his services yet, I have spoken over the phone and corresponded via email...

Boyd at Total Recoil was recommended by @mdorev recently.

I don't know off hand where he is located.

Personally, I wouldn't have anything repaired by Total Recoil, even if they offered to pay me.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great, yet alarming to see all the above warnings on using repairers ... while I understand others may have had some problems, the issue is that there don't seem to be many repairers out there and that do-it-myself repairs usually end in tears & regret.

I had my surrounds repaired by Speaker Hospital in December, they were nice to deal with and repaired my speaker in the way they told me they would. While there is a tiny amount of glue showing, it was a neat, effective job and the speaker is back to its punchy best after a long time of not sounding correct due to a perforated surround. 

Would I take it to them again for a similar repair?...absolutely - $80 well spent.

I had a driver re-foamed recently. Visually it appeared perfectly but when measured it was 10hz higher than it should be.  The caveat, most repairers simply do not care enough or know the difference. If the surround roughly fits they will slap it on.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1

Given the amounts many spend on buying the best gear and ancillaries they can afford and/or justify, it's a bit of a no-brainer that they will look for similar quality in a repair technician.

There seems to me to be a substantial niche market for top quality, extremely competent audio equipment repairs with service to match.  Many of us would be happy to pay "top dollar" if we could be reassured the repair would be completed quickly, efficiently and to the highest possible standards without being silly.  Some will even be happy to get a bit silly.  I have had a sub resurrounded by a local repairer occasionaly mentioned on these forums and it is clearly not the same now as an identical twin I also have.  One surround is obviously much stiffer then the other.  But both seem to work quite happily together adding the lowest bass notes to my Gale 401's so I haven't lost any sleep over it or bothered to investigate further.  I think it's a similar situation to @kelossus above.

I've also used a local "backyard" (sort of literally!) guy to fix several other drive units and I've been reasonably happy.  The only issue is that the repairs seem to have been done to a quick, but adequate standard and priced accordingly (almost embarrassingly cheap).   I did say I was happy to pay more for a slower, more meticulous job, but I think people tend to work to their usual standards (high, medium or low) and aren't able to adjust easily.

It would be great to choose between:

• Just get it working for the lowest possible cost
  • Do it to a good professional standard of competency without going over the top
  • Do an absolutely meticulous job, irrespective of the time it takes to do so

Is the difference between say $50 and $100 significant if the driver is going back ino a pair of $20K speakers or a highly regarded and cherished vintage pair?  I really don't think so. 

Of course trust and great communication are both very important here but not so easy to find, unfortunately. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, kelossus said:

I had a driver re-foamed recently. Visually it appeared perfectly but when measured it was 10hz higher than it should be.  The caveat, most repairers simply do not care enough or know the difference. If the surround roughly fits they will slap it on.

Yes, understand, importantly in my case I sourced by surround from Amsterdam (after much internet research to ensure I had the exact OE specification. I gave that to the repairer so they could glue the new one on. 

15 minutes ago, Tony M said:

Given the amounts many spend on buying the best gear and ancillaries they can afford and/or justify, it's a bit of a no-brainer that they will look for similar quality in a repair technician.

There seems to me to be a substantial niche market for top quality, extremely competent audio equipment repairs with service to match.  Many of us would be happy to pay "top dollar" if we could be reassured the repair would be completed quickly, efficiently and Io the highest possible standards without being silly.

It would be great to choose between:

• Just get it working for the lowest possible cost
  • Do it to a good professional standard of competency without going over the top
  • Do an absolutely meticulous job, irrespective of the time it takes to do so

Of course trust and great communication are both very important here but not so easy to find, unfortunately. 

Agree Tony.

• 11 months later...

Had repairs done recently by Atilla. He’s unfortunately not well nor physically doing repairs or supervising. 
Lets just say standards have really slipped as a consequence. I won’t go into details but it’s an experience I don’t recommend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 30/11/2021 at 10:07 PM, redbruce said:

Had repairs done recently by Atilla. He’s unfortunately not well nor physically doing repairs or supervising. 
Lets just say standards have really slipped as a consequence. I won’t go into details but it’s an experience I don’t recommend.

I recently had a member bring me a pair of tannoy Kensingtons to look at after having the same out of character experience , I'd say by the sound of it Atilla rightly has bigger things to worry about than repairing loudspeakers ,

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/11/2021 at 10:07 PM, redbruce said:

I picked my speakers up from Adam and Atilla just before xmas and am very happy with the work done. Everything is back to perfect working order, the cost was reasonable, completion time quicker than expected and communication was excellent.

For me, it was an experience I'd definitely recommend.

It might be better to add some details of your issue rather than blanket discredit.