Pinnacle of Desktop Speakers?

1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

My top runners at the moment is Genelec 8330A and the new LS50W II

One a studio monitor, be fed off a Questyle CMA Twelve. Other a lifestyle type speaker, just digital in.

Remember the 8330A's are DSP speakers.

They feature digital in already (like lifestyle speakers...) and if you feed them via analogue ins, they will be digitised via A/D chip...

So there is no way to by-pass their internal DACs, no matter how good your external DAC is.

So you will have D/A to A/D to D/A again.

If you need to have a volume knob that you can touch, instead of using an external DAC/Pre for volume, you can keep things digital all the way and use the Genelec volume knob :

https://www.genelec.com/9310a-wired-volume-controller

5 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Seems like it's USB to the GLM kit, then RJ45 to the monitor, then RJ45 back out to next monitor.

Definitely don't need the GLM USB adapter at all times - only for the measurements since you need to run PC/Mac software for that.

Once measurements are done, all the room EQ data is stored on the speakers itself...

Put the USB adapter in a box and out of sight.

image.png.13783d70be4312cffc20aaff858ec116.png

Edited by rand129678

14 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

What connects PC to Speakers then day to day?

Check out the back pic I shared above - it's AES3 digital input (very common in Pro Audio monitors to have  combination analogue and digital XLR input).

So for PC, you need a USB to AES3 converter. Or just use a DAC/Pre analogue outputs. See below.

14 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

And would the DSP settings still work with XLR Analgue in? Could still use DAC and Preamp of the Questyle....

Yes of course, the DSP settings are stored in the speaker itself.

The analogue outputs of your Questyle will be digitised. At that point, the DSP speakers don't know or care if it's a digital or analogue input coming in since it's now a digital signal...

Then you have a volume knob you can touch (although Genelec have solved that issue as mentioned earlier with their wired remote).

Edited by rand129678
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Thanks for the help. How the MTM works basically. Except it just calibrates straight to speaker.

Not all digital room EQ is equal - but that's for another thread. The MTM's is quite basic (that's why they can throw it in with the speakers) although it does improve things. It doesn't have to improve things in the most challenging part for digital room EQ, in the bass. Because the MTMs don't really produce a lot of room filling bass in the first place.

Only similarity with MTMs is MTMs digitise the analogue inputs but it's purely an analogue input, so you can't feed it a digital signal even if you wanted to.

Whereas the combination digital/analogue XLR input of the Genelecs allows for both digital and analogue inputs.

If you went the path of those Genelecs, use the GLM kit to do the room EQ stuff and then pack it away in the box until next time. Everything is stored inside the speakers. Use your Questyle for volume knob. Easy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

What connects PC to Speakers then day to day?

And would the DSP settings still work with XLR Analgue in? Could still use DAC and Preamp of the Questyle....

The AE1s have RCA and XLR inputs and a +/-2dB adjustment, no DSP, no Bluetooth, just audiophile quality sound. I initially ran them using a minijack to XLR connection, (I had the cable already) using the MacBook Pro DAC, now I use an external FiiO DAC and RCA-RCA cables, a huge improvement in sound. I might play with some software DSP but it's already good enough for me

• Like 2

I see the purely analogue 8030C is $2429

And the DSP crossover & SAM compatible 8330A is $2999 and they're including the GLM kit for that price.

That's a great deal. I was expecting the price difference to be larger for the DSP model + GLM.

With GLM software you can EQ the sound profile to your taste in the PC/Mac software, not just put up with what Genelec say is best. Something you obviously can't do with MTMs built-in room calibration.

And you don't have this option at all for the more expensive KEF LS50II's . They feature some basic EQ but not as advanced as GLM.

GLM kit makes it easy to integrate the 8330A's into any room you move them into. For use with a TV you could use any DAC that features TOSlink input. Can use RCA-to-XLR cables to feed the 8330A's (you can make yourself I see ? )

Let us know what you think when you get around to a demo.

Edited by rand129678

4 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Thanks mate.

I EQ windows via Equalizer APO. So can do that easily enough too.

In that case you could save $500 and go with the 8030C's , if you're happy with manual EQ by ear, instead of room EQ with a microphone etc (eg GLM kit).

Edited by rand129678

1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

$500 isn't much of a saving though. $1000 maybe

Yeah I thought the difference would be $1k, so for $500 saving I'd go with 8330 with the included GLM kit.

It's more flexible. You may want to move it to a large room in future, where the GLM kit will come in very handy, moreso than nearfield listening.

• Like 1

Great topic @Bengineer! was looking at changing up my desktop speakers too..

I do like my current Presonus R65's, but struggle with the background hissing/white noise they do with no sound/low volume using them as near fields, they even do it with no inputs plugged in and tested with multiple different power locations too.. Seems to be an issue with their range going by forums that I found out after getting them :(  The older gen/some people don't seem to notice the hissing too, I am sensitive to high frequencies which doesn't help likely haha.. 

My list is down to the Focal's and Genelec's at the moment. Ruled out Kef's as all my gear is setup for XLR for my desktop and was looking at the LS50's for my music speaker/amp collection anyway.

Did find this site that has ex demo's Focals CMS's, but not sure how much under the newer Focal Shape gear they are. They also sell the Genelec 8030CP's not sure what's different about them vs the 8030C's..

https://www.proaudiotv.com.au/product-category/speakers/

Would like to see gear like the Swans m300mkii etc available but seem rare in AU!

• Like 1

It is @dan-m9 !

Focal Shape 50 come in VERY cheap from Italy. They are cheap on eBay from there, and if you message him direct, and skirt eBay fees, they come down even further. If you were considering those.

The Swans and things like the Audioengine and Kanto etc wouldn't match the resolution of the Genelecs and Focals. I haven't really considered them here.

Just now, Bengineer said:

@rand129678

Any experience with;

Dynauio Lyd 5 or 7

Adam A5x

HEDD 05

Neumann KH80

For non-concentric, can definitely recommend you have a listen to all those. I've heard them all and they're great. 

For nearfield listening, main standout differences (to me) was amount & quality of bass each of those produce as you go up in SPLs.

I still rate the Genelecs (if we're comparing same size box) over those but Genelecs are more expensive, especially the DSP models.

• Like 1