LG TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Grrrrrrr!!!!!

Fairdinkum a bloke can't win.    My wife and I were watching The Queens Gambit last night.   It was a 720p version from a USB stick.    The Oled ided it and ran it in HDR.    The image was truly stunning.   I mean truly, truly stunning.

My darling wife couldn't get her head around the image quality.   She kept saying it looked fake because it was 3d like.   I was trying to explain to her she just needed to get use to the depth of field, clarity and the 'pop/richness' of the colours.   She wanted me to adjust it so that it basically dumbed down the quality of the image.   We agreed to disagree for the moment. ?

I will count to 1000 and leave it as it is for now.   Women!!!!

Regards Cazzesman

PS.  David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii is amazing on Bluray.

On 14/11/2020 at 11:25 AM, cazzesman said:

Grrrrrrr!!!!!

Fairdinkum a bloke can't win.    My wife and I were watching The Queens Gambit last night.   It was a 720p version from a USB stick.    The Oled ided it and ran it in HDR.    The image was truly stunning.   I mean truly, truly stunning.

My darling wife couldn't get her head around the image quality.   She kept saying it looked fake because it was 3d like.   I was trying to explain to her she just needed to get use to the depth of field, clarity and the 'pop/richness' of the colours.   She wanted me to adjust it so that it basically dumbed down the quality of the image.   We agreed to disagree for the moment. ?

She may be referring to some of the motion settings that are on by default that used to bug me when I first got my LG 55 C8 OLED.

I remember watching a blu-ray of Mission Impossible Fallout and thinking that there was something about the image that was un-cinema like.  It felt like watching a TV series or soap opera.

Once I turned the various motion smoothing settings off, it was a lot better.

I think the modes were called: Real Cinema and True Motion. 

• Like 3

Thanks prof.   I have started looking into that.

I have swapped emails with Tony from Clarity.   I see he has plenty of good recommendations.    

If anyone has any local Melbourne calibration experts they have dealings with, please let me know here.    

PM me if you were not so happy with someone you used.

I was watching a 1080p version of Hamilton the musical last night.    The complete visually and aural experience is stunning.   If it looks this good before calibration then it might be Xmas come early.   

Regards Cazzesman

Congratulations on the OLED I did the same move from a 50" plasma Pana to an LG OLED. My problem was that the damn plasma just would not die! I ended up giving it away as the temptation of an OLED was just too much. No regrets from my end.

• Haha 1

Cazzesman, Tony is the man.

He calibrated my LG C9 65" and it was money extremely well spent.

Oh by the way with the weather hotting up, you have removed that plastic cling wrap on the back of the LG right?

Amazing how many people completely miss noticing it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, noddyc43 said:

Congratulations on the OLED I did the same move from a 50" plasma Pana to an LG OLED. My problem was that the damn plasma just would not die! I ended up giving it away as the temptation of an OLED was just too much. No regrets from my end.

I'm hearin' ya.  My old plasma is going to a new home Monday for free.    Still works a treat.

Oled just continues to impress.

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 2:31 PM, Ray H said:

Yeah I had the same reaction when I swapped from a really good Panasonic plasma to an LG Oled. The picture quality, the GUI and even the looks and build of the Oleds is amazing.

Anybody sitting on the fence plasma to oled is missing out.

I would love to buy a GX 77”.....

Feeling very fortunate to be able to grab a CX 77 Black Friday deal.  Absolutely stunning picture.  Waaay better than the old Panasonic TV and the JVC  X3 projector.  Local senior management also said she didn’t like it at first.  I set it to cinema dark and now it’s not going anywhere.   It is smaller than the projector image but self lit pixels are awesome. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, wikeeboy said:

Would be interested in the details also @Steam if you don't mind :)

9 hours ago, Ray H said:

@Steam

Nice buy, glad you are happy with it !

Any chance of a hint on price and retailer ? The Sony A9G is cheaper than the CX77 at the moment.

It was advertised $7220 at good guys. Free delivery.   Have heard of people getting it for $6500 but there was no movement when asked.  I think the A9G was still with an 8 in frontal the time.

Although just looking now the A9G is now $6888 at JB.   

Edited by Steam
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steam said:

It was advertised $7220 at good guys. Free delivery.   Have heard of people getting it for $6500 but there was no movement when asked.  I think the A9G was still with an 8 in frontal the time.

Apologies for the thread hijack, but i no bugger all about TV's. I have enough of an issue with my audio addiction...! 

What's the 'better' screen to go for if they were the same price, Sony or LG? Or does that kind of question start an online war?

They are the same base screen. Different operating system.  The lg CX is a more recent tv with hdmi 2.1 or a flavour thereof if you think that’s important. After that it’s arguments about motion processing etc.  I doubt most could tell the difference.  

as above see Rtings

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2020 at 8:57 AM, Steam said:

Same with us (from GG on BF). We got it for $7013, delivery, wall bracket and install by LG included. But I figure the fact that's it's not due until at least the end of the week had something to do with this discount. Still, also replacing the amp and source unit/cabinet, which also hasn't arrived yet. Maybe by Christmas?

@cazzesman, did you get yours calibrated yet? And if so, recommendations?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

Same with us (from GG on BF). We got it for $7013, delivery, wall bracket and install by LG included. But I figure the fact that's it's not due until at least the end of the week had something to do with this discount. Still, also replacing the amp and source unit/cabinet, which also hasn't arrived yet. Maybe by Christmas?

@cazzesman, did you get yours calibrated yet? And if so, recommendations?

No not yet CE.    I have put myself on the list, if and when Tony can make the trip.    I think I have about 160 hrs on it now.

Regards Cazzesman

On 19/11/2020 at 10:10 PM, illusion said:

Cazzesman, Tony is the man.

He calibrated my LG C9 65" and it was money extremely well spent.

Oh by the way with the weather hotting up, you have removed that plastic cling wrap on the back of the LG right?

Amazing how many people completely miss noticing it.

Any Sydney-siders here to recommend a calibrator?

I'm looking into a LG C9 either 65" or 77". Installer I'm planning to use will charge $500 for picture and sound calibration.

9 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

No not yet CE.    I have put myself on the list, if and when Tony can make the trip.    I think I have about 160 hrs on it now.

Regards Cazzesman

I just contacted him and he said he's in Melbourne now. Unfortunately, the TV isn't here yet, and it'll take at least a week to get 100hours up on it (depends on the week).

Where in Melbourne are you located?