LG TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I'm thinking about getting an new (bigger) TV. We have a 60" Pana plasma ATM but i'd like bigger. The Pana would go into the second living room.

The LG 86-inch UK65 4K Ultra HD LED LCD AI ThinQ Smart TV seems to be good value on paper but is it really? We have a projector in the media room but really want the TV for day to day viewing.

Would it be better to get a similarly priced slightly smaller TV?

Any advice would be appreciated.

@a.dent

This popped up on the Sony site recently, I think it is going to be one of the better big screen TV's available;

https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/televisions/z9f-series

Could also consider the LG C8 OLED, but quite bit more $, I have seen it go for circa10-12 k;

https://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-OLED77C8PTA

• Like 1

At that screen size, anything less than true FHD (1080p) will look garbage, so that means most FTA broadcasts will look pretty bad. Even some FHD content might look poor depending how close you sit to the screen...?

All comes down to how you will use the TV and what's important to you. The Samsung 82" NU8000 might be another option to consider. Similar price, but uses a VA panel instead of the IPS panel used in the LG.

The Samsung will get brighter, have deeper blacks (which will also make colours 'pop' more) and should have better uniformity. The advantage of the LG is that it should have wider viewing angles so you don't have to sit exactly in front on the screen - colours and black tones will tend to shift on a VA panel TV when you look at it from an angle (as little as 20deg off-centre)

• Like 1

Thanks @Ray H and @~Spyne~

It will be used mainly for FTA HD channels.

I have a JVC X9500 projector and the Panasonic plasma so I want something that won't be a huge drop in picture quality from those.

I'll look at the Samsung 82" NU8000. The $5695 price tag for the LG is tempting though.

Cheers

2 hours ago, a.dent said:

Thanks @Ray H and @~Spyne~

It will be used mainly for FTA HD channels.

I have a JVC X9500 projector and the Panasonic plasma so I want something that won't be a huge drop in picture quality from those.

I'll look at the Samsung 82" NU8000. The $5695 price tag for the LG is tempting though.

Cheers

Consider as well the hdr capabilities ; the LG has hdr10 and dolby vision [ and a hdr10 enhancement algorithm] ; the NU8000 has hdr10 and 10+ ; the Sony has DV too and the ultimate x treme processor used is a cut above with its bit mapping .

https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/picture-quality?cpint=SG_PRODUCT_DETAILS_SEC-TOUT-PDP-Z9F-EN_GL-2018-05-M30-SEEHOW-TOUT02-PICTUREQUALITY

13 hours ago, a.dent said:

Cheers.

How can they do that 20% off and still make a profit?

Pretty simple really.  LG have nearly all their R&D eggs in the OLED basket.  They continue to produce LCD/LEDs because this technology still represents 70% of their sales.  In doing so, they long ago abandoned any development of their LCD technology, and are able cut costs by year in, year out, putting out very ordinary edge lit IPS panels; the only redeeming feature of which, is the wide viewing angle and perhaps the smart hub OS. 

OK it seems I'm going to have to do some more research.

IPS v VA?

DV?

HDR 10 and 10+?

ultimate xtreme procesor?

smart hub OS?

I was looking at size v price but obviously I need to look at much much more. It seems more of a minefield than DACs which I think I understand pretty well.

IPS vs VA

Just different panel tech. This article from rtings sums up the differences pretty well;

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd

HDR10 is the base format for carrying picture information. It uses static metadata - sent once at the beginning of the data stream. Every HDR-capable device supports the HDR10 format.

DV = Dolby Vision. A new format for carrying information about the picture, from source to display. Similar to how Atmos was the latest evolution of how audio information is carried. It has licensing fees but has wider support from content providers and electronics manufacturers. Couple of articles below.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby-vision-hdr-everything-you-need-to-know

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/dolby-vision-is-it-worth-paying-extra-for-the-premium-hdr-format

HDR10+ is Samsung's (and Amazon's) competing format to DV. It also uses dynamic metadata and is free but has smaller support from content providers.

This is a pretty good article for understanding the basic differences;

https://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-vision-hdr10-advanced-hdr-and-hlg-hdr-formats-explained/

Ultimate Extreme processor. Just a processor that Sony uses in their latest flagship TVs. Every smart TV has a processor of some sort, the Sony UE just happens to be one of, if not THE, most powerful one available right now.

Smart Hub OS. Every smart TV runs some sort of OS (operating system). Many are based on the Android OS (similar to many mobile phones). Samsung has their own 'Tizen' OS, LG has their WebOS and Panasonic uses My Home Screen 3.0 (which is based on the now-dead Firefox OS).

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this thread @a.dent, as I'm grappling with a similar challenge.

We're about to move into a space with a relative large open lounge/dinning/entertaining area. I'm running a 65 inch UHD Samsung (I think its the KS9500?). I'd like have an 82 - 86 inch panel in this space. The LG 86UK6500 (particularly with the 20% discount) is hard to beat, but then came across this quote on whirlpool re: the 86 inch UK6500:

Even the New model has IPS and it seems that LG has the worst IPS glow compared to other companay that use IPS panel.
Dont be conned because the new SK model has FALD (full array local dimming), WOW!!! but what they dont tell you is the amount of zone on the 86 inch.
Put it this way the Sony 75 inch Z9D has 800 Zones and you bet you that the 86 inch LG tv will have less than 200 Zones. USELESS on a large tv.
The Sony 75 inch X9400E (cheaper model) has 256 zones, both a FALD and have a extremely good algorithm to process this.
For a 86 inch TV it must have +400 zone to be any good to stop the Blooming on that size

Another users goes on to say his 45 inch LG suffers from blacklight bleed and IPS glow. What's the consensus here fellas? Is the LG86UK6500 a lemon?

Tempted to pull the trigger with the 20% ebay discount. 

All LG LCD TVs are lemons because of IPS panels.  No amount of spin and hyperbole can overcome poor contrast, sub par blacks and just about the worst dark room performance in town.

• Like 1

I was in HN today and checked out the various 75" plus Tv's right up to the 86" LG, have to agree it's picture was pretty ordinary compared to the, I think it was 82", Samsung. 

I came away after checking them all out deciding that from what I saw none of the over 80" Tv's really looked that good even in a shop where they are set up to suit the environment. Shame really as I usually work on the bigger is better principle and we are in the market for a new 75" plus TV, back to the drawing hoard god now.

cheers Terry

32 minutes ago, TerryO said:

I was in HN today and checked out the various 75" plus Tv's right up to the 86" LG, have to agree it's picture was pretty ordinary compared to the, I think it was 82", Samsung. 

I came away after checking them all out deciding that from what I saw none of the over 80" Tv's really looked that good even in a shop where they are set up to suit the environment. Shame really as I usually work on the bigger is better principle and we are in the market for a new 75" plus TV, back to the drawing hoard god now.

cheers Terry

For you terry

https://www.google.com.au/shopping/product/16549545146038863157?q=the+best+80+inch+tv&client=safari&sa=X&hl=en-au&biw=1024&bih=698&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&prmd=sivn&prds=epd:487289222288464545,paur:ClkAsKraX5-hQRpWd-YUeM0pkEnrG33AGvVXOqFISxPoez_QauZEVfV9iOX-iySkLWduLIXGsPrp193U3UGNel6Lm9kJDLOCZESxuJKeeDdX5RNUmhVNjH7dGRIZAFPVH726CHhRt9aGrSDeqO1-Yq5GROdK_A,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1&ved=0ahUKEwjfqtu1jYPeAhWOdt4KHYxsAFoQgTYIuwU

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, TerryO said:

cheers Terry

I love my 2017 Samsung 75" MU 7000.  Screen uniformity, black levels, colour and all round picture quality are very good for such a large set.  In a couple of areas it outperforms even my  65Q8FN (full array backlit with local dimming).   I am hearing similar about its successor, the 2018

NU 8000.   Suggest you read some of the reviews;  generally, if the OLED fan boy club give an edge lit LCD like the NU8000 a pass, you can rest assured that it will do a good job.  

The Q7FN mentioned above is another you may like to consider (once the prices drop around Boxing day).  My best mate in Adelaide has purchased on of these and raves about the brightness, contrast and colour accuracy.  Downside of edge lit VA TVs is less than optimal viewing angle and average dark scene performance.  

• Like 1

as stated by @pc9 stay away from IPS panels, not sure how much you'd like to spend on your new TV but first consider how far you plan to sit from your TV as this should determine your optimum TV size, don't think bigger is automatically better, there's lots of compromise made to build such big screen, one of them is grey and black uniformity, second would be local dimming especially on edge led TV, I wouldn't go beyond 75" myself no matter what's the distance

if money allow I wouldn't go below Q6FN, next step up is X90F or Q7FN, next Q8FN and so on..., if not minimum would be NU8000 (X85F is below that), I never owned Panasonic TV so can't judge but they might have good VA panels as well...

If you have a chance go to store and check which OS works for you as there might be quite significant difference between brands...

• Like 1

As I said, I have a JVC projector with 105" screen.

B\For me bigger is better as far as screen size goes. Maybe not as TV screen size goes.

Maybe I'll wait for prices of OLED s to drop a bit. After the Pana plasma and JVC blacks I'll probably realise I've made a mistake buying an LCD.

I have just picked up and installed a LG 55-inch UK65 4K Ultra HD LED LCD for the wife and kids.

What a complete piece of crap!

It's one of the cheapest models around so you certainly get what you pay for.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kukynas said:

as stated by @pc9 stay away from IPS panels, not sure how much you'd like to spend on your new TV but first consider how far you plan to sit from your TV as this should determine your optimum TV size, don't think bigger is automatically better, there's lots of compromise made to build such big screen, one of them is grey and black uniformity, second would be local dimming especially on edge led TV, I wouldn't go beyond 75" myself no matter what's the distance

if money allow I wouldn't go below Q6FN, next step up is X90F or Q7FN, next Q8FN and so on..., if not minimum would be NU8000 (X85F is below that), I never owned Panasonic TV so can't judge but they might have good VA panels as well...

If you have a chance go to store and check which OS works for you as there might be quite significant difference between brands...

Some good deals on the 65" Sony X90F at the moment (below the $3k mark).  Ticks most of the boxes, ie full array local dimming, VA panel with good HDR. 

• 3 months later...