New Owner? Recommended Servicing & Upgrades

If like me you have just acquired a 20yr old pair of loud speakers and a 10yr old amplifier. What should you do to service them and for me specifically, what might you look to replace/upgrade? Caps?, tweeters?

I very much appreciate your time if you have it available, and welcome your thoughts and suggestions on what I should perhaps do to ensure that my new equipment is functioning correctly, and perhaps then suggest a suitable phono stage to replace the built-in one in the Sony.

So, here goes, here’s my new (old) modest gear...

• Sonique 5.5 SE

(Canare 4S11 - Furutech FT-212s (Not Bi-Wired or Amped))

• Cambridge Audio 650a

• Sony PS-HX 500

(Currently using the Sony’s built in phono stage into the Mp3 in on the 650a)

Notes:

• Upon first listen I noticed some possible L/R level difference, although that could be room placement

• Initial surface test didn’t reveal any obvious issues other than cosmetics

Thanks again for any time you might have to help...

A 10 year old amp should not need any work on caps etc,,, only thing I'd check is the bias and dc offset but that's just OCD... Same thing for 20 year old spkrs, any electrolytics should still be in spec... Give it a good listen, test out the very highs/lows, if it holds together then enjoy.

@Panorama Whats a surface Test?

Otherwise sounds like a decent system.

The Speakers can outperform a lot of kit.

They are keepers unless you spend big bucks, but if you do, you would have to do the same with the electronics.

Ideally, if the system has a low noise floor, all is good, nothing to touch.

6 hours ago, Darryl said:

I'll let the techs answer your specific questions, but I'm impressed that you found a pair of Sonique speakers in London!

Yes, as was I. After reading into the design and designer they seem to be quite sought after.

Edited by Guest
Error

4 hours ago, mbz said:

A 10 year old amp should not need any work on caps etc,,, only thing I'd check is the bias and dc offset but that's just OCD... Same thing for 20 year old spkrs, any electrolytics should still be in spec... Give it a good listen, test out the very highs/lows, if it holds together then enjoy.

Thank you for the advice, I shall take that onboard and perhaps have the bias and DC offset looked at simply for peace of mind.

Edited by Guest
Error

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

@Panorama Whats a surface Test?

Otherwise sounds like a decent system.

The Speakers can outperform a lot of kit.

They are keepers unless you spend big bucks, but if you do, you would have to do the same with the electronics.

Ideally, if the system has a low noise floor, all is good, nothing to touch.

That’s great to hear. Thank you for your time. In my initial surface test, I made sure everything was operational, testing all inputs and outputs were functional and that the speakers emitted sound across the spectrum. That’s when I may have discovered the L/R inconsistency, but this could well be my initial room placement.

Thank you all for your help thus far...

So, given that the above is indeed in place and the speakers and amp have nothing that would require servicing, would it be worth upgrading any part of either?

I did find a post here at SNA from @Alanpartridge (the name being no coincidence, I’m sure), reading as follows...

“I have also upgraded the crossovers in these speakers, replacing the standard Solen capacitors with the much better Mundorf MCap capacitors. The tweeters have been upgraded also to electrically equivalent but sonically much better SEAS Prestige 27TDFC tweeters.”

I am quite keen to do any work on the system to restore or improve it where possible, (if worth the time, cost and effort), but I’m also very happy to leave it stock so to speak, as the designer intended if that is advised.

I would also like to acquire a dedicated phono stage as apposed to using the Sony’s built-in solution, and I must add that the Sony turntable has a Goldring 2100 cart and stylus. So if anyone has any advice on a phono stage model that would be in-keeping and in-line with my system that would be of great help.

Edited by Guest
Error

10 hours ago, Panorama said:

Thank you all for your help thus far...

So, given that the above is indeed in place and the speakers and amp have nothing that would require servicing, would it be worth upgrading any part of either?

I did find a post here at SNA from @Alanpartridge (the name being no coincidence, I’m sure), reading as follows...

“I have also upgraded the crossovers in these speakers, replacing the standard Solen capacitors with the much better Mundorf MCap capacitors. The tweeters have been upgraded also to electrically equivalent but sonically much better SEAS Prestige 27TDFC tweeters.”

I am quite keen to do any work on the system to restore or improve it where possible, (if worth the time, cost and effort), but I’m also very happy to leave it stock so to speak, as the designer intended if that is advised.

I would also like to acquire a dedicated phono stage as apposed to using the Sony’s built-in solution, and I must add that the Sony turntable has a Goldring 2100 cart and stylus. So if anyone has any advice on a phono stage model that would be in-keeping and in-line with my system that would be of great help.

Speakers are fine as they are. Steve Lund is a great designer. I'd be auditioning a better quality turntable and phono stage first.

56 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Speakers are fine as they are. Steve Lund is a great designer. I'd be auditioning a better quality turntable and phono stage first.

Ok, fair enough. Reading between the lines it seems like the Sony PS-HX500 turntable and Goldring 2100 cart & stylus sadly might not be up to par with the speakers and amp. Is this correct? If so, I should probably start looking for alternatives. Once I have set up the turntable correctly and auditioned thoroughly I may look at replacing them. Thank you for the advice.

3 hours ago, Panorama said:

Ok, fair enough. Reading between the lines it seems like the Sony PS-HX500 turntable and Goldring 2100 cart & stylus sadly might not be up to par with the speakers and amp. Is this correct? If so, I should probably start looking for alternatives. Once I have set up the turntable correctly and auditioned thoroughly I may look at replacing them. Thank you for the advice.

The Goldring 2100 might be fine, but I personally would not be using the phono stage in the turntable.

22 hours ago, Wimbo said:

The Goldring 2100 might be fine, but I personally would not be using the phono stage in the turntable.

I thought I’d get a dedicated one once I’d gained some knowledge (and advice) on what might be suitable given the quality of the speakers and amp. If you have any thought, do let me know. Thanks again.

I have now started research into a suitable and optimal phono-amplifier (stage) for my setup, and hope to find something south of the £500.00 mark. Once this has been found I shall begin acoustics, both treatment and placement.

If anyone has phone stage recommendations, I’d very much appreciate them.

The journey begins...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 11:12 PM, Panorama said:

I have now started research into a suitable and optimal phono-amplifier (stage) for my setup, and hope to find something south of the £500.00 mark. Once this has been found I shall begin acoustics, both treatment and placement.

If anyone has phone stage recommendations, I’d very much appreciate them.

The journey begins...

Update: The journey ended with a Music Fidelity LX2-LPS.

Edited by Guest
Error