Cartridge Options ~$400

Hey guys, I'm looking at upgrading my Rega Carbon (on my P2) soon, and have no idea re: cartridges, so I'd like to get your thoughts.

Please list a few good options. Can get a 2M Blue for $300, Sumiko Rainier and Olympia are in the ballpark, Garrett Bros. K2 or K3, Clearaudio Concept V2 or Rega Elys 2 at well below $400. 

My phono pre (Vincent PHO-800) does MM & MC so I'm happy to try MC. Never used them before.

Ideally something suitable would come up on the classifieds, but looking at past posts, they are few and far between.

I have a couple of options for you esoterica.

Low <20hours Ortofon 2m bronze.

A&R Cambridge with new black diamond stylus

New Sumiko Pearl.

Will PM you

I run a small shop, so I don't know if I can display the prices.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Do you like AT cartridges?   The AT VM95ML   is around $300.  I love mine.

Have hardly any experience of them. I think my old sherwood came with one, but being a budget tt, the cartridge wouldn't be any good.

4 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Have hardly any experience of them. I think my old sherwood came with one, but being a budget tt, the cartridge wouldn't be any good.

That would be the older AT95E with a simple elliptical stylus.  The new range VM95 have a range of styluses, and the VM95ML I suggested is a microline, making it much better than the AT95E was stock.  There  is another range  VM540ML which is much better again, but costs a bit more too.

Ortofon 2M Bronze or a DL103. I have a soft spot for the DL103 still and it becomes a pretty fantastic cart after a rebody and retip..... Basically once its worn out fit to a wood body and get it retipped. Performs well above it's price point then.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. Plenty of options. 

Not sure about that one @Batty

Googled it and it sounds fine, but you can buy the later version 110 new for $239. The old one may sound better? I would'nt have a clue, but 500 hours on any cartridge seems like it would need refurb?

@wartman offer of a 2M Bronze is probably my preferred option if he replies to my pm with a bit better price ;)

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

It's a personal thing maybe, but I always prefer the sound of AT to Ortofon.

I've gathered that from reading comments. I guess you have to try them out to know.

I know most people probably don't care, but I also go on aesthetics. The AT ones look like cheap plastic to me. Ortofon aren't much better, but have a cool shape. I really like the look of Sumiko. Generally cartridges don't look good though, so it's not a major factor I'm considering.

21 hours ago, marleshi said:

I recently bought an AT VM540ML for $320 off Amazon and found it excellent for my needs - on my system, it was a nice improvement over Ortofon 2M Blue.

That is a great price.  The aesthetics might be objectionable,  however my VM540ML has been a revelation, equalling some of my moving coils.  

12 hours ago, mkaramazov said:

That is a great price.  The aesthetics might be objectionable,  however my VM540ML has been a revelation, equalling some of my moving coils.  

Agreed!

I love my mine. It would be a big upgrade from the Rega carbon.

From what I've read online (researching for a friend whom has not long bought a P2) the Exact cart gets good wraps, so perhaps a good used Exact might be had for around the $400 mark. I like the idea that you don't have to bugger around with shims etc...the Rega cart should be an easy fit and set up.

13 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

The difficulty now is picking one of the several options.

Believing , as I do, that they will all impress you, I would say, stick to your budget.  I think the VM540ML can be had just under the $400 in Australia.   Or, save upwards of $100 and go with the VM95ML.  Probably choose which you think looks more reasonable :)