CD Player Advice

Hi All,

I’m getting back into CD listening (2020, year of surprises).

I have great wharfdale floor standing speakers and a great Sherwood receiver (don’t know the models as my Dad is giving them to me this week but I remember them sounding fantastic!)

I just need a CD player.

I don’t know what to do – Buy a modern one or buy an old used one?

Looking at either of these two old ones, the modern ones seem expensive...what’s everyone’s thoughts ?

Cambridge Audio CD34
Rotel RCD-951

4 minutes ago, slp1225 said:

Think I might go ahead with the Cambridge Audio CD34 for $190 ?

The problem with new CD players is the poor quality of the laser and cd drive mechanism. The new models just have generic  el cheapo $2 lasers that are made for computers and not optimised for audio as the older players were.I would be looking to buy a well regarded older player in good condition. The Cambridge may seem inexpensive now but it isn't really a long term proposition and they are not at all reliable. If i did not already have 3 really good players , I would buy this.....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rantan said:

If i did not already have 3 really good players , I would buy this.....

Spotted that too but I've got enough already as well.

Am currently selling a Rotel multidisc changer in our classifieds. OP won't have access to that yet so PM me for details if interested.

I'm into vintage and CDP's rather than streaming/flac... however maybe you should consider it. Problem with vintage is after about 35+years they tend to need some work, general health check etc, all fine if you diy.

I'd lean to either the Rotel or Marantz over the CA, not a fan of "changers".
I run a Consonance Ref 1.2 CDP with Meridian 206 and NAD C521BEE as backup, the NAD can be had cheaply ($90-?), it sounds ok for a starter system but doubtful to compete with flac. Post a pic of the Sherwood when you receive it.

If yer gunna spend 250 on an ancient CD player I reckon ya better off with a new one mate :) Like a Marantz CD 5005. Not sure on the 5005s laser quality but that's what id do. .

I own a CD 63 and it needs bias adjustments to keep its laser on track. Ive seen a CD 67 for 70$ in North Sydney recently as well. I wouldn't take the 250$ risk personally

Edited by Powerslave

3 hours ago, david j said:

What about  member    i think its    Rockeater    im sure he is the one for  cd players

Indeed I do have 25+ of them at any given time ?

I myself would buy a older, used one. From the time they made CD players properly.

For reliability, get any old Marantz with CDM-4 mechanism. I have not seen one fail yet.

Marantz are no good as transports though, unless you do modifications of the SPDIF output.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rockeater said:

Indeed I do have 25+ of them at any given time ?

I myself would buy a older, used one. From the time they made CD players properly.

For reliability, get any old Marantz with CDM-4 mechanism. I have not seen one fail yet.

Marantz are no good as transports though, unless you do modifications of the SPDIF output.

That’s interesting about the SPDIF. What are the issues?

Would using the optical output on an old Marantz be a better option?

2 hours ago, Adjust said:

That’s interesting about the SPDIF. What are the issues?

Would using the optical output on an old Marantz be a better option?

Probably optical would be better.

This is SPDIF output of Marantz CD-94 Mk2 - one of their best players

It does not even try to pretend to be a square wave.

DSCN0952.thumb.JPG.0cecddd9b29896d0b7b0247aa87d30de.JPG

@slp1225 I have two cd players that would fit the bill.

I have a Marantz CD5000 in black with remote and original box excellent condition last Philips dac from famous TDA series - namely TDA1549.

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/references/Marantz CD5000/marantz5000.ht

ARCAM Diva CD73 in black also with remote and original box it is also an excellent transport

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/references/ARCAM CD73/Arcam Diva CD73.html

Regards Tim

12 hours ago, Ian McP said:

Just be aware the it has the CDM-2, known as a very unreliable mechanism in the Philips range. Great when working though.

I had a CD-65 with this mech, and it played up, and all I have of it now IS the CDM-2, and only hung onto it as they are rare even if unreliable.

Edited by muon*