Jump to content

Single malt whisky


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working late with a Laphroaig Four Oak to keep me company

Wow I didn't know we have this category til today.   My collection  

This probably isn't the place for this, but given that it incudes a storage facility for singe malt whisky... why not!   One of my COVID projects was the conversion of a 'nook' into a bar (o

Cheers all.......

 

Best way i can describe this one is a good, smooth classic sherry cask finish whiskey.  For circa $90 a bootle it's a great drop.

 

IMG_1254.thumb.jpg.6d661d3317834c791cd770c4420b0edd.jpg

Edited by qik_shift
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


New one on the shelf from Dan's today. 

Wow! Complex, heaps of smoke (camp fire in a bottle) but in a nice way. Fair bit of heat but 1 ice cube controls it well. Fruity, so much going on in my mouth and I love it 😍. Highly recommended if you like loads of peat and smoke, but it's very controlled IMO. 😄👍

Cheers 🥃

IMG20201010194120.thumb.jpg.4cb6c079b8d1241f393ccac7909447d4.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed to snaffle this today, making good use of a birthday gift voucher.

 

Batch 1 was the initial release from Archie Rose direct.

 

Batches 2 and 3 are being held-back by Archie Rose for future website and distillery sales from what I understand.

 

Batch 4 is essentially the second public release in a chronological sense, and featured 3000  bottles for sale via Dan Murphy's only.

 

Very happy to snaffle a bottle, and can't wait to try her!

 

archie1.jpg.615a009313808c7c5bf49457afeb6020.jpg

 

archie2.jpg.b10a863ebd1ced68872043b385b3c590.jpg

 

archie3.jpg.288518f126155ea9c5d60d067439f953.jpg

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete_mac said:

Managed to snaffle this today, making good use of a birthday gift voucher.

 

Batch 1 was the initial release from Archie Rose direct.

 

Batches 2 and 3 are being held-back by Archie Rose for future website and distillery sales from what I understand.

 

Batch 4 is essentially the second public release in a chronological sense, and featured 3000  bottles for sale via Dan Murphy's only.

 

Very happy to snaffle a bottle, and can't wait to try her!

 

archie1.jpg.615a009313808c7c5bf49457afeb6020.jpg

 

archie2.jpg.b10a863ebd1ced68872043b385b3c590.jpg

 

archie3.jpg.288518f126155ea9c5d60d067439f953.jpg

 

Very nice pete! Nice dark colour. Looking forward to reading your opinion on how it tastes 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites


18 hours ago, pete_mac said:

Managed to snaffle this today, making good use of a birthday gift voucher.

 

Batch 1 was the initial release from Archie Rose direct.

 

Batches 2 and 3 are being held-back by Archie Rose for future website and distillery sales from what I understand.

 

Batch 4 is essentially the second public release in a chronological sense, and featured 3000  bottles for sale via Dan Murphy's only.

 

Very happy to snaffle a bottle, and can't wait to try her!

Thank you! Just popping down to local Dan's now!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Local Dan's at Boronia has Archie Rose SMW available...nice addition to my constantly diminishing hoard...think I know what I am drinking this Week-end... :) 

Thank you for the heads up @pete_mac much appreciated...

Though I must admit the Irish SMW Redbreast that I'm currently imbibing will be hard to ignore for the AR...

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Local Dan's at Boronia has Archie Rose SMW available...nice addition to my constantly diminishing hoard...think I know what I am drinking this Week-end... :) 

Thank you for the heads up @pete_mac much appreciated...

Though I must admit the Irish SMW Redbreast that I'm currently imbibing will be hard to ignore for the AR...

Damn, was in that store last week, will try to track some down in Perth after my isolation, mmm might pay to send a scout out, can’t see this hanging around too long 😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Local Dan's at Boronia has Archie Rose SMW available...nice addition to my constantly diminishing hoard...think I know what I am drinking this Week-end... :) 

Thank you for the heads up @pete_mac much appreciated...

Though I must admit the Irish SMW Redbreast that I'm currently imbibing will be hard to ignore for the AR...

I’m getting to the bottom of my Redbreast😢

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


17 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

Thank you! Just popping down to local Dan's now!

Thanks, @pete_mac! I think mine was bottle 2983 (currently hidden so I don't open it straight away).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well well well it's finally arrived...long wait till the weekend though... :( 

Prolly drink it in celebration of the Tigers winning the GF! :) Win Win... 

 

20201019_133238.thumb.jpg.c9aa6442d8831a35cc98d34f9a8fcebf.jpg

20201019_133312.thumb.jpg.3ee024cd10a0a58099ed00ca4e6c6f0e.jpg20201019_133306.thumb.jpg.fd88db0e7f54859a09361ac128ab29d7.jpg

 

20201019_134756.thumb.jpg.fc5cd9dc4cb59aa172e3d7db90c960d3.jpg

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!

 

I didn't get to try my bottle last weekend. I was feeling a bit off-colour so I abstained from the fun juice.

 

I'm expecting it to be quite different to the Archie Rose Rye.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Well well well it's finally arrived...long wait till the weekend though... :( 

Prolly drink it in celebration of the Tigers winning the GF! :) Win Win... 

 

20201019_133238.thumb.jpg.c9aa6442d8831a35cc98d34f9a8fcebf.jpg

20201019_133312.thumb.jpg.3ee024cd10a0a58099ed00ca4e6c6f0e.jpg20201019_133306.thumb.jpg.fd88db0e7f54859a09361ac128ab29d7.jpg

 

20201019_134756.thumb.jpg.fc5cd9dc4cb59aa172e3d7db90c960d3.jpg

Presented nicely too. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

Community service announcement - boozebud currently has Starward Nova single malt whisky (aged in red wine barrels) for $70 (normally $95).

 

I've got a referral code that I'm happy to share (BUD53UK) which gets 15% off and free shipping, taking it down to $60 delivered. Can't be beaten at that price. I bought a 'back-up' bottle tonight. :)

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick delivery of the Nova from boozebud! Woo hoo!
 

I’m doing my best to support a Melbourne distiller during these challenging COVID times. 

82BA14F8-D1D4-47D7-9421-A600DFD2F5F2.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Hi @pete_mac just like Dan the Man reaching for the higher self to celebrate Vic's first donut day from Covid...'Starward'... :) 

 

Indeed! He had a bottle of the (apparently) lovely Tawny-cask Starward, which is long sold out.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the nicest wee drop I have ever purchased.

 

Back in '91, when I was travelling the UK and in Edinburgh in the High St, I went into a little specialist whiskey shop to purchase a bottle of Hyland Park to bring back to OZ duty free.  The guy politely, whilst at the same time talking down to me like I was a total retard, questioned my choice.

"No laddie - yea should be gettin this drop if ya be wantin somethin special."

The cost - 43 pounds.  Exchange rate back then was 0.36p for AU$1!  For me an unemployed 27 yr old young traveller, that was a lot of coin at the time.

 

But man - this stuff WAS special.  SPRINGBANK.  21 yrs old, bottled out of a single cask, at the distillery with the same water it was made from.  The distillery is at Campbelltown, down at the bottom or the Mull of Kintyre (serious - no bs!)

 

It's all peat bog country down there and this stuff tastes like it too.   But talk about super smooth!  And it lingers on the palate, and rises, and rises, and just keeps on rising and wow!  I've never had anything like it.

 

I'm not much of a drinker - but this drop was spectacular.   It lasted till 3 yrs ago when I offered a glass to a visiting friend and to my horror found 15 minutes later that he had skulled the last  1/3 of the bottle.  Mad does not sum up how I felt.  I'm still mad!  Alas - it's all gone now. 

 

So never share your good stuff with alcoholics - they have no appreciation of quality, nor sense of manners.

 

IMG_9054.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

But man - this stuff WAS special.  SPRINGBANK.  21 yrs old, bottled out of a single cask, at the distillery with the same water it was made from.  The distillery is at Campbelltown, down at the bottom or the Mull of Kintyre (serious - no bs!)

 

If you could find someone with stock it currently goes for $400-$500 a bottle here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red MacKay said:

This is the nicest wee drop I have ever purchased.

 

Back in '91, when I was travelling the UK and in Edinburgh in the High St, I went into a little specialist whiskey shop to purchase a bottle of Hyland Park to bring back to OZ duty free.  The guy politely, whilst at the same time talking down to me like I was a total retard, questioned my choice.

"No laddie - yea should be gettin this drop if ya be wantin somethin special."

The cost - 43 pounds.  Exchange rate back then was 0.36p for AU$1!  For me an unemployed 27 yr old young traveller, that was a lot of coin at the time.

 

But man - this stuff WAS special.  SPRINGBANK.  21 yrs old, bottled out of a single cask, at the distillery with the same water it was made from.  The distillery is at Campbelltown, down at the bottom or the Mull of Kintyre (serious - no bs!)

 

It's all peat bog country down there and this stuff tastes like it too.   But talk about super smooth!  And it lingers on the palate, and rises, and rises, and just keeps on rising and wow!  I've never had anything like it.

 

I'm not much of a drinker - but this drop was spectacular.   It lasted till 3 yrs ago when I offered a glass to a visiting friend and to my horror found 15 minutes later that he had skulled the last  1/3 of the bottle.  Mad does not sum up how I felt.  I'm still mad!  Alas - it's all gone now. 

 

So never share your good stuff with alcoholics - they have no appreciation of quality, nor sense of manners.

 

IMG_9054.JPG

Sure sounds like a lovely drop 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracked this open on the weekend. Sure is a good one, no ice or water added and is just superb! very highly recommend and will be replaced always when empty! Well as long as i can find it anyway. 😋👍🥃 

IMG20201103171046.thumb.jpg.732315c7803ab7f20eedb54c935c777d.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2020 at 5:40 PM, Red MacKay said:

So never share your good stuff with alcoholics - they have no appreciation of quality, nor sense of manners.

I just hope they didn't mix it with coke? This is one reason I keep a bottle of Ned's whiskey. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2020 at 5:40 PM, Red MacKay said:

So never share your good stuff with alcoholics - they have no appreciation of quality, nor sense of manners.

I once lost an entire collection that way. We didn't offer any, he just found it and drank it.

 

I'm more "never allow an unsupervised alcoholic into your house" as a result.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cloth Ears said:

I once lost an entire collection that way. We didn't offer any, he just found it and drank it.

 

I'm more "never allow an unsupervised alcoholic into your house" as a result.

 

 

We've nearly completed some remodelling at home which included knocking-down a impractical-yet-fashionable 'nook' and installing some nice cabinetry, benchtop and shelving to create a small dry bar. The cabinets include a pair of narrow but tall drawers which are perfectly sized for storing booze.

 

My wife and I have agreed that we'll only put the 'general consumption' liquor down there, and will keep the special stuff in the pantry shelving - to avoid the risk of a scenario similar to what you describe! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pete_mac said:

 

 

We've nearly completed some remodelling at home which included knocking-down a impractical-yet-fashionable 'nook' and installing some nice cabinetry, benchtop and shelving to create a small dry bar. The cabinets include a pair of narrow but tall drawers which are perfectly sized for storing booze.

 

My wife and I have agreed that we'll only put the 'general consumption' liquor down there, and will keep the special stuff in the pantry shelving - to avoid the risk of a scenario similar to what you describe! 

It was a share house, and our combined single malt collection was on the cover over the sliding doors (30+ bottles). Plus there was a 20 year port barrel somewhere. A friend came over a few times and stayed late and slept there on the couch. We only realised when we went to have a tipple and found that almost all the whisky bottles were empty. and the port barrel was empty and had developed a crack from being dry.

A learning experience...

 

Should I get a bottle of the Distiller's Select from Chief's Son, or not???

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

It was a share house, and our combined single malt collection was on the cover over the sliding doors (30+ bottles). Plus there was a 20 year port barrel somewhere. A friend came over a few times and stayed late and slept there on the couch. We only realised when we went to have a tipple and found that almost all the whisky bottles were empty. and the port barrel was empty and had developed a crack from being dry.

A learning experience...

 

Should I get a bottle of the Distiller's Select from Chief's Son, or not???

 

Wow... that would have been quite depressing!!

 

re: the Distiller's Select, is this she? If so, it sounds delicious!

 

https://www.chiefsson.com.au/product/distillers-select/

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2020 at 7:32 PM, pete_mac said:

Managed to snaffle this today, making good use of a birthday gift voucher.

 

archie1.jpg.615a009313808c7c5bf49457afeb6020.jpg

 

 

 

I finally cracked the Archie Rose last weekend.

 

It's a very different drop to the Rye Malt, as you'd expect.

 

I do quite like the darker and richer characteristics of this drop, but also enjoy the Rye Malt as a point of difference.

 

@BLAH BLAH have you tried the Single Malt yet?

 

 

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @pete_mac Archie Rose SMW is all gone mate...disappeared last weekend in celebration of a mighty tigers win in the GF with the Cats...B2B Premierships beautiful! :) 

Now as to what I remember of its drinking...being totally distracted by the progress of the game...the next morning revealed a lonely empty AR bottle/glass near the big seat in front of the TV...but no headaches! nada! I am pleased to report! :) 

Darkish brown/bronze colours in the glass...very appealing to me for some reason...must be a characteristic of smoothness those darker colours...too easy on the palette...and then the snifter fired its way down my throat into my belly with a lasting blast of slow rising warmth...I didn't think it had any noticeable bouquet...slightly disappointing there...I thought...

Very similar to the Rye...but the Rye had it covered for textures in both flavour and bouquet...

But as you so rightly have already noted...the Archie Rose SMW is different and enjoyable...but maybe not enough for me to repurchase...

Has the same colour as my favourite tipple at the moment...the Irish SMW Redbreast...the Redbreast has more nose bouquet of rich vanillas and is super smooth down the throat before its slow release of fire in the belly...Oh we're from Tigerland a fighting fury we're from tigerland In any weather you will see us with a grin risking head and shin if we're behind then never mind we'll fight and fight and win!!!... Sveiks!!! :) 

 

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel quite similar - the single malt is nice, but I think I’d buy the Rye again instead, as it’s different to everything else that I have and is more unique. 

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

After a long Melbourne Cup weekend. I had finished 2 third of the Bottle and I know why it's had a good Reviews / price + Very Highly Recommend. I'm  addicted to it🤔😘🤗🤫🍷👍

20201104_161339.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Zodiac-12 said:

After a long Melbourne Cup weekend. I had finished 2 third of the Bottle and I know why it's had a good Reviews / price + Very Highly Recommend. I'm  addicted to it🤔😘🤗🤫🍷👍

20201104_161339.jpg

Lovely!!

 

I’d kill for a bottle of the 18 year old Glendronach Allardice, but they are difficult to find at the moment (and also a fair whack pricier too!)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pete_mac said:

Lovely!!

 

I’d kill for a bottle of the 18 year old Glendronach Allardice, but they are difficult to find at the moment (and also a fair whack pricier too!)

Yep.

Luckily I still have 4 bottles left when I bought a case of 18 Allardice @ the 15 Revival price now🤫😘🤗🍷

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zodiac-12 said:

Yep.

Luckily I still have 4 bottles left when I bought a case of 18 Allardice @ the 15 Revival price now🤫😘🤗🍷


oooooh yeah!!!

 

What do you think of the 18?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...